Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV waveform updates

David
David Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Who is the owner and maintaining the FreeDV waveform and is there a plan to provide updates? Steve posted a while ago that FlexRadio would be handing off support of the waveform. There are updates to the codec since the waveform was released. The addition of LSB support is needed even though it is a digital mode it is voice and follows the guideline of LSB below 10Mhz (except 60m). There is also a 700 mode that would good to have available along with the 1600 mode.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    It's open source.  Anyone can do it.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    by curiosity i take a Quick look a it  , i not sure if waveform may handle more that 1 mode ?

FreeDV.cfg

[setup]
    waveform create name=FreeDV mode=FDV underlying_mode=USB version=1.0.5waveform set FreeDV tx=1waveform set FreeDV rx_filter low_cut=600waveform set FreeDV rx_filter high_cut=2400waveform set FreeDV rx_filter depth=8waveform set FreeDV tx_filter low_cut=600waveform set FreeDV tx_filter high_cut=2400waveform set FreeDV tx_filter depth=8waveform set FreeDV udpport=4999
     [end]
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I wondered the same thing when posting. The thought I had was multiple waveforms  most likely four ex: F07L, F07U, F16L, F16U.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Where is the open source located?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    David - so I do not forget about this, please send me an e-mail to my first name @ flexradio.com
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2017
    The repository for this is in GitHub

https://github.com/n5ac/smartsdr-dsp
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited January 2017
    We did a very basic implementation only supporting only USB in one of the FDV modes.  Also, it is currently only geared to handle a single slice.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for sharing. Hopefully those with the skills will be able to take it over and provide updates to the waveform so FreeDV can be more of an integrated feature of SSDR.
  • Lowrider65
    Lowrider65 Member
    edited November 2019
    Is ver 1.0.5 still the current latest waveform for FreeDV? 
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2017
    Yes, but we are working on a new version and hope to have it to you soon.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That's great news, FreeDV has great potential on a 6000 to really take off.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This is great news. Hopefully hand in hand with DStar fix (wink wink)
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    thank for update Steve
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I'm really excited for this. I may start back using the mode again. 
  • Lowrider65
    Lowrider65 Member
    edited December 2017
    Excited to hear the news, Just getting into this mode. 73 Steve, and everybody!

• Jeff VK5IU
    Jeff VK5IU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I hope the latest version of FreeDV also supports LSB
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Does anyone know if there are any updates on this? Now that version 3 is out, would love to play around with this more. I see activity on the waterfall at the 20m DV calling, would be great to join in.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am not aware of anyone in the community picking the development from the starter that Flex provided. Personally I have just used the FreeDV software directly to use the current version.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.