Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

profile not loading from cold-start

Steve G1XOW
Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi,

I recently replaced my 6300 with a 6500. Since then I have noticed that sometimes when I start the radio from cold it randomly fails to load any profile. Dont recall seeing this odd behavior before changing the radio.

I'm using the latest SSDR in W10 with all updates applied. No other issues apparent. It happens maybe 2-3 times out of every 10, but only when cold starting the radio.

Closing SDR and reopening the app is fine. In other words, it only happens when SSDR is sat waiting for the radio to complete the start-up calibration sequence.

I can tell it's not loading a profile as the display settings such as FPS, averaging, and display gain/rate are not being recalled. It is an though it fails to load any profile at all. Manually loading a profile then sorts it out, but it is a PITA.

73 de Steve G1XOW

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Steve,
       I would suggest 1) export your profiles if you have not alearady done so. 2) Reset the radio to factory defaults. 3) import you profiles.  4) try your cold start routine again..

AL, K0VM
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Could you tell us exactly what you mean by "cold start" and what condition the radio is in when this happens?  Is the radio coming up on the wrong band, bad panadapter/slice setup, wrong modes?

Thanks
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @NX6D A "cold start" is a computing term, as in the unit having just been powered-up from "cold". My PC boots much quicker than the radio so SSDR is poised waiting for the the radio to conclude its calibration sequence before it can be seen/selected on the network.

@K0VM Already done that and also done an SSDR+firmware reload. However, for the sake of completeness I will do it again and report back.

The obvious symptom is that display settings such as FPS and averaging are not recalled. For example the FPS and averaging settings become about mid range on the slider (which I presume is the kind of default-default or "profile-less" state).

I have them set as FPS of 30 and AVG of 80 in all my profiles. This produces a very nice smooth panadaptor trace, so when the setting are not loaded it is very obvious as the trace is jumping around like a crazy horse.

73 de Steve G1XOW

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    When exporting uncheck Persistence
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Bill, no option for exporting persistence. Maybe you meant preferences?   However, the only option I was re-importing were my main (single) Microphone and TX profiles anyway. As far as I can tell neither of those have any link to display parameters.

I've just dumped all my profiles, reset the radio and created brand-new profiles for my main Mic and TX setting and will see how it goes now.

73 de Steve G1XOW
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Yes, sorry, Preferences. Great idea to remake all your profiles from scratch.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    What happens if you boot up the 6500 first and then run SSDR? Might be worth a try

GL Winston
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    When you start your radio, has the power been off since it was shut down?  Has a "factory reset" been done?

Your description of the problem sounds like a failure to recover all of the persistence settings, not a profile issue.  I'd give the radio a chance to completely reset its state.  I would carefully write all of my settings into profiles and store them on the supporting computer, then do a complete restart of the radio.  Shut the radio down, switch off the DC power, let it rest for a couple of minutes, then power up, and restart using the factory reset method.  The radio will come up in the middle of the 20M band in CW mode and have no idea where it's been.

Then reload the profiles and invoke the profile of your choice.  After this shakeout, cycling the radio down and up should bring you back to your last shutdown configuration every time.  If this is not the case, then something is wrong and you should open a support ticket.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I think that's the proper order.
     I do this:  Fully boot computer into OS.  Turn on radio.
     When radio lights stabilize start SSDR and use setup to establish connection.
     Works for me.
       (However, I admit to not having consulted manual on this.)

Ned  K1NJ
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi All,

Looks like I have found the culprit. I use a Behringer CMD Micro Midi controller with the app from William Hemingsen. When I prevent Williams CMD Java app from starting up automatically in my script, then the problem disappears.

I had also noticed other odd things whilst this app is running such as MOX going to ON when switching bands whilst VOX is engaged.

The CMD app also has some strange degrading effect on UDP network packet loss/quality as reported in SSDR, this may then account for the odd behavior outlined above.

So, for now the app is out of favor. Will report back if the problem comes back in any form.

73 de Steve G1XOW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.