Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will this work for Auto Band changing for Ameritron ALS-1306 to A Flex 6300?

Hello, I want to be sure that I understand if this will work. I need to buy the cable to connect a Kenwood radio to the Ameritron ALS-1306. Then I also need to buy the Startech-ICUSB232FTN cable. Then to make it all work, 1- load the new Smart SDR into the radio, 2-connect the two cables together. 3- Connect the USB end of the cables to the Flex 6300 radio, Connect the Ameritron cable to the ALS-1306, and that is it. Will the amplifier follow the radio from band to band with this setup? Thanks for your help. Rick

Answers

• David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yes - My 6700 does it perfectly in all slices. I would expect the 6300 to do the same. I would buy the Kenwood cable from Ameritron. I did.
  • David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Email me your phone number at k4cae@att.net if you have any additional questions.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You don't need the Kenwood cable if you can put a DB-9 connector on the end of a cable!

You can do this two ways, one way is with FTDI DCB cable and second the FTDI Serial cable, works great either way you go WITH-OUT the Keywood cable. 

Contact me direct " wx7y at arrl.net " if you want to build it yourself by installing the cable end connectors. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Don Babcock
    Don Babcock Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bret - I have the "serial-to-USB" cable I got from Flex for my 6500. The DB9 connector is MALE - as is the connector on my ALS-1306. It seems like I could get a "female-to-female" adapter and it would be the same as your explanation above. Am reading this right? Thanks in advance!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think you will need a Null Modem adapter instead of just a female-to-female adapter. 
    I have moved on since I ran the 1306 so it has been a while since I did the cable so not real fresh in my head.

73's
    Bret
  • Don Babcock
    Don Babcock Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Bret!
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Does it pandswitch to 12m and 17m bands? My 6300 will not with latest 2.x software.
    Keith
    W7ZAC
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have a 6600, 1306, v2.4.9 and it is changing bands correctly. The 1306 uses the same band coils and relay for 17 & 15 and 12 & 10 meters.  When I switch bands between 17 & 15 or 12 & 10 meters the band relay will not click - that is normal. The band number light changes as expected.  Just checked 20 & 30 meters - it also uses one coil set and relay for those two bands.

I'm also using the Ameritron Kenwood cable along with a FTDI null modem cable and a db-9 gender changer.
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    O my 6300, it will not switch to 12 or 17 meters. I have a support request filed with Tim.
    No useful reply from him yet. Keith W7ZAC
  • i have problem with flex6500 and ameritron 1306 .... the radio keys the amp, but no automatic band changing takes place, and the band switch is set on REM. i am using the ameritron db-usb6000 cable. if you had to make changes within sdr - please be specific with the changes. anybody using an alernate cable, or has any solutions, i can be emailed at buddys70@gmail.com thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.