Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

As SSDR v. 1.xxxx transitions to v.2xxxx

JAMES WILSON
JAMES WILSON Member
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
There should be no SSDR v.2.xxxx untill ALL Features, Firmware and   Software are working 100% as originally described Including all Technical parameters being met 100%. Remember that  early SSDR's did were not 100 % operational according to the writen specifications when sold.

James Wilson
n5dbs2@cox.net
1 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• James Madden
    James Madden Member
    edited May 2018
    Hopefully flex radio will understand that older hams that are older than 65 will have trouble funding upgrades.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I left 65 behind a while ago.  I also don't have the kind of income that I had before I retired.  So, I have to pick and choose what I spend money on.  So far, I have had my 6300 since they were first available.  If I amortize the $200 I would pay for a V.2 upgrade,  it would come out to something like five bucks a month if I bought it next month.  Plus, there's nothing that says I have to have the latest and greatest either.

Maybe we can talk Flex into a senior discount like they do on Wednesdays at the grocery store.  :)
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    James I am a little confused. Isn't the entire point of a Software Defined Radio to be able to add features and function without changing the hardware ?

In other words there is no such thing as "100 % operational according to the writen (sic) specifications" that's the whole point. If you buy a Kenwood TS-940 then I guess that is true but not for a SDR platform.

Ever hear of DOS 1.1, Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7,8,10 ???  They never reached 100% operational specs either. 

Operational Specifications are a goal every designer and developer strives to reach. But frankly that is a moving target because new features and programming tools continue to evolve. This means you either put a stick and in ground and stop there are continue to enhance a product's capability.

Can you share these 100% operational specs you are referring to ? I tried searching for this document and couldn't find it anywhere on the site.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    How much has Flex charged you for upgrades so far ? As far as I can tell you are worried about something that has never happened. Don't you think worrying and complaining about something that may or may not ever happen a little silly.

But if paid software upgrades ever do become a reality do you realize that EVERY commercial software product on the market charges for upgrades at some point. Just like every other product, you can decide if the upgrade is worthwhile or not. The decision is yours.
  • JAMES WILSON
    JAMES WILSON Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi James, Thank you for your comment. I agree with your comment 100%. However your comment does not apply to me. My intention was only that buyers should get what they pay for.

I have owned the following FLEX radios : 1000, 3000, 5000, and 6000 and have nothing but MEGA PRAISES for FLEX RADIO and ALL of their employees. There are none better.

James Wilson
    n5dbs2@cox.net
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    James, under your proviso, Microsoft, Apple, Oracle and every other software manufacturer would never be able to release a new version of their software. I'm sure it felt good to write your post, but it's just not how the software/technology business works. Please understand, my response is not meant to be curt. I also wish everything worked exactly as designed, but I'm a pragmatist and a realist.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    When anyone finds a better way, why not use it.image
    If you decide not to, then who get's the blame for that.

Cheer Up Folks!image

Please!image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @James N5DBS - remember to read FRS statements about how they intend to handle maintenance of V1 after V2 launches. Also consider there are likely to eventually be add-ons to SmartSDR that are purchased options. One might even see some V2 improvements make their way to a V1 release even after major work moves to V2. On funding, I do very much feel for the fixed limited income ham. It is awesome that the radio will remain 100% operational with whatever level a ham stops reinvesting at. One wonders if a remote operation internet enhancement is of much utility for a fixed limited income ham, as the basic premise requires very good internet and an operating QTH separation from the physical station radio, antennas and gear. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • JAMES WILSON
    JAMES WILSON Member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for your comments Lee. My comments were aimed at the people who were asking the question " when does one start paying for the next major upgrade ). I hope this will answer your comment.

James Wilson
  • JAMES WILSON
    JAMES WILSON Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi James, Thank you for your comment. I agree with your comment 100%. However your comment does not apply to me. My intention was only that buyers should get what they pay for.

I have owned the following FLEX radios : 1000, 3000, 5000, and 6000 and have nothing but MEGA PRAISES for FLEX RADIO and ALL of their employees. There are none better.

James Wilson
    n5dbs2@cox.net
  • JAMES WILSON
    JAMES WILSON Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi LEE, Thank you for your comment. I agree with your comment 100%. However your comment does not apply to me. My intention was only that buyers should get all of what they pay for.

James Wilson
    n5dbs2@cox.net
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thanks James. I guess what confuses me is Flex is Beta testing 1.10. That's a loooooog way off from a version 2.0. Or at least in software development terminology. So I guess I don't understand why so many hams are scared of something that has not even been announced. Other than in concept.

I get that hams are cheap. They want everything for nothing. But in the real world my electric bill goes up, gasoline, food, HEALTH CARE :) every thing. But for some reason they take aim at SmartSDR like Flex is out to get them.

Oh well people love to have something to complain about.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You and I are in agreement on this for sure. I am always impressed with every interaction I have had with Flex, they are Professional, helpful, generous and genuine. 
  • JAMES WILSON
    JAMES WILSON Member
    edited January 2017
    As I recall, you do not have to pay for (example) v. 2.xxxx or. v. 3.xxxx if you do not want to buy them. If you want to buy v. 4.xxxx , you will also have included v.2 and v.3 .

• JAMES WILSON
    JAMES WILSON Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi James, Thank you for your comment. I agree with your comment 100%. However your comment does not apply to me. My intention was only that buyers should get all of what they pay for.

James Wilson
    n5dbs2@cox.net
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I got exactly what I paid for, A good radio that performance wise was a bargain, and despite some people having problems, I've had almost none, and what I did have was quickly fixable. If you need a radio that never changes, that comes out the door in finished form, a Legacy radio is indicated. I have other radios, and they have all had problems, like the IC-761 that had trimmer cap issues, a Kenwood D-700 that has a weird Howling issue when it is really cold out - and Kenwood denies that the problem exists, even though Other people with the radio have the same problem. A friend bought the 12K plus Yaesu flagship Transceiver and the Keyer never worked right on it ever. After three trips on his dime back to Yeesu, the store he bought it from gave him his money back and fought it out with Yaesu. 

These radios do not stop working because 1.X is still on them. And perfection in software just isn't available.

And what are the things that have never been implemented that needs fixed anyhow? Some enumeration of them might go a long way to prove yout case.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    This first paragraph being exactly the same in all your replies is a little unsettling. 
  • Bob Hinkle
    Bob Hinkle Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    In addition, with the plethora of old/new computers, CPU power, memory units, goofy COM ports, and other variables, it seems quite impossible for the user base to ever "reach 100% of technical parameters" ... the Flex guys are saints for remaining sane in the midst of all the complaints of problems, the vast majority due to either not reading the manual or outdated computers on our end... 
  • David Livingston
    David Livingston Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    "There should be no SSDR v.2.xxxx untill ALL Features, Firmware and   Software are working 100% as originally described Including all Technical parameters being met 100%. Remember that  early SSDR's did were not 100 % operational according to the writen specifications when sold."

Good luck with this... I am sure they will do the best they can. Maybe you should pass this dream along to Microsoft and all other software developers.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I highly doubt Flex would leave 1.x users high and dry. There will be bug fixes and maintenance releases with new features being moved to 2.0. 1.x is already amazing as it is and even though I'm going to 2.0 I would have no qualms of staying on 1.x if I had to.

Microsoft for example supported Windows XP for a whopping 12 years despite many people moving on to windows 7, 8 and 10. Apple is a bit more aggressive but adds a lot of fixes to older versions of OSX.

So unless you want new features, if you really don't want to spend the money just stay on 1.x. Your radio will still work every bit as good as it does today.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.