Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

may i ask the versio 2.0 will cost about $200 every time ??

with the 6700 i think the new coming update software is this will cost $200 
for how long ? 
is this for ever update from 2.0 up ? or is this till v3.0 come then you pay again 
is flex can please make it clear to all  how much you need to pay for how long etc 
one thing  i cant understand .73 

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    each version (V2 or V3 or V4 ...) will cost you again. All between is free if charge - that's what FRS told us.

But don't worry; Version 1 is now over 3 years old and maybe Dayton (now called Xenia) will come Version 2.

The only problem is: FRS forgot to tell us what year - dont ask FRS for a date; the all lif timeless  :-)

73 Chris
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As much as I hate to make the comparison.... think Windows upgrades: You buy a computer with Windows 7. All Windows 7 updates are free. Moving to Windows 8 costs money, but all Windows 8 updates are free. Then moving to Windows 10 costs money...... same thing with v.1.****; v.2.****; v.3.****....
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I am not too concerned what it may cost, as long as we eventually get 'Pure Signal'  '''!!!

Gerald said we would....

G4BIM
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Windows 10 upgrade was free for most current windows users. For most any upgrade discounts are offered to current users. This is pretty typical for all software.

I knew when I bought the SSDR v2+ would cost money. I was also told by the sales person at FRS that while pricing was not set at the time there was no indication a discount would be offered for current users. I accepted that when I made the purchase. Not happy with it but I wasn't happy with dinner last night and still ate it.

Almost all software ever produced is licensed. We all accept EULAs when we download and install something. We're all responsible and accountable for our actions. 

One thing I really don't like is the announcement concerning license servers and the need to validate a radio is eligible for 2.0. While I trust FRS to come up with a product worth the cost of upgrade apparently they indicate they don't trust us to pay for that product. Very 1990s intrusive and with the recent HRD hubbub it is an odd thing to announce. Certainly not a feature to be proud of. The consumer pays for this.

In the end I'll buy version 2.0 and live with FRS's new inconvenience simply because I drank the cool aid and have little choice. I'm certain it will be like getting a whole new radio for $200.
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I also don't mind paying for new versions as long as the old version is working without errors.  There are still lots of bugs in the current release.  Right now I would like to see them stop adding further features and get everything working as it should.

And no I haven't reported a lot of the strange stuff I have seen.  FRS ought to be able to stress test the software and find the errors.  They should not depend on the users to do their testing.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited January 2017
    What is the "current hubbub " with HRD??
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2017
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi,

I, for one, maybe the only one, agree with the
    FRS decision to make ops validate their radio.
    That will prevent, maybe a group of ops, going
    together and splitting a purchase amongst them.
    Those that do not agree are not obligated to
    purchase it. I will first see what is offered,
    but if I pay full price, I expect others to do
    the same.
    I know versions of Windows I have can only run
    on one computer. If I want it on another computer,
    I have to purchase a separate license for it.
    I think Flex has been excellent in their offerings
    and very attentive to their customers.
    The numerous updates and new features have been
    outstanding.

73, Jim N9VC

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Will a copy of SSDR run on only one radio at a time? If I have two 6500s will I need to buy two licenses? What other combinations or odd configurations must be accounted for?

I have no expectation that the price I pay has to be what someone else pays. We all make our own deals with the company. I got a good deal when I bought my 6500. I do expect people to pay for what they are using or it is stealing. I don't expect FRS or any company to be looking over my shoulders without me voicing my objections.

It's just a difference of opinion and I know I'm probably on the weak side of the argument. To me it has nothing at all to do with how attentive FRS is or what anyone else pays for a product. Knowing FRS doesn't give a **** about what I think on this matter I'll be satisfied to just let it go and we'll see what the future brings.

Kevin
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

From another thread FRS said the license "lives" in the radio, and that the special cases of complex stations and multiple 6000 unit owners is TBD.

Steve K9ZW

• SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited June 2020
    What does the link to Ham Radio Deluxe have to do with Flex version 2.0? At least HRD is putting out timely updates.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The link referenced the controversy about one of the HRD staff blackballing users's software if they had posted negative feedback on some of the review sites.

It was in response to AH0U's question about what the HRD Hubbub was about....

My take on the rig verification is that software piracy is rampant these days, and more sophisticated than ever.  It makes sense for a company with proprietary software to protect its investment with some form of basic purchase verification system.  

As others on the forums have said..."hams are cheap" and many will take every opportunity to get a free lunch, no matter how much it endangers the food supply.  

In the case of SSDR, the software is as much a part of the product as the hardware.  Theft is theft...even software piracy.  Stores put security tags on clothing.  unfortunately the same is often needed for software.

Ken - NM9P
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Kevin,  I should have said "pre-Windows 10" pricing structure.
    Many people, indeed, received Win 10 free, primarily because they were trying to overcome what many felt was a major mess-up in Windows 8.  (I didn't think it was that bad, myself...but then, I liked Vista...)  But the free upgrade package was only from Win 7/8 to Win 10.  And I think, only for a limited time.  

I wold love to upgrade my old Vista laptop to Win 10, but it isn't worth the upgrade fee.  I recently got a refirb i5 laptop with Win 10 for $154!  I am not going to pay $99 to upgrade a much older and less powerful laptop.  I'll probably make it a Linux Mint machine!

Ken - NM9P
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    You remove the security tags after you buy the new shirt and Target doesn't chase you around making sure you are authorized to wear the shirt 6 months later.

I originally brought up the HRD issue. It wasn't meant to suggest FRS would ever consider such a nasty trick. It was probably unfair to even mention it. It just struck me as odd timing announcing a server that determines whether you can use the software or not when HRD is just going through their big mess.

I hope 2.0 is good.

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    And I am still waiting for Pin 4 of the accessory connector marked FSK to be enabled also.

Seems the 6500 got a nice write-up in QST for Feb.  Maybe they will sell a bunch more and charge ahead.

Cheers
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    My assumption, from reading bits and pieces in the Community.... is that the verification may be done at the time of purchase.....

My guess is that means perhaps something like....you enter your rig Serial number, which would be coded into the software or software installer so that it will load only onto the rig for which it was purchased.  I doubt that the rig would authenticate every time you tried to use it.  (THAT would be a software and Customer Service nightmare!)

Not being a software engineer, I am content to wait upon details to be explained in a manner that I can comprehend.

I am confident that V.2.**** will be good.  I am also confident that it will be a process of continual improvement and feature additions, just like V.1.****.  Which means it will be fun to "grow"  with the radio!

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.