Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Writelog for RTTY contesting

Andy M5ZAP
Andy M5ZAP Member
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Hi all,

I used writelog in the ARRL RTTY RU contest last weekend and had a lot of problems. This was my first RTTY contest using the flex, I have previously used writelog for all my contest needs and like its operation and interface. I also rather like the fact it uses IP comms  to the Flex rather than using DAX and SmartSDR Cat.

I used the following setup

Smart SDR v1.9.13.173

Flex 6500

Windows 10

Latest writelog version 12.12C Dec  2016

Writelog Flex driver -  WlFlexDriver1203A (setup as single radio)

MMTTY as main RTTY interface using XMMT.ocx

Network uses a Gigabit switch between PC and Radio with cat 6 cables

The problems I had were

1 - For no reason comms would start to drop packets (upto 30%) Rebotting writelog sorted problem once. Other times the network issues persisted, tried rebotting everything many times including PC

2 - Keying of the radio stopped and I had to Revert to using SmartSDR Cat port in MMTTY setup to key rig.

3 - Intermittent operation of Focus helper

I also had the latest version of 2tone crash a few times in my clone receiver.

It was running with less network traffic than my normal general logging setup of DXlab and sdr bridge with a couple of CW skimmers running. I still tried slaving the switch and network cables but that had no effect.

I was running unassisted in RU but for BARTG and WPX RTTY contests I want to setup a  RTTY skimmer to post to the bandmap. But need to sort out base logging/RTTY software first.

My questions are

1 - Has anybody got writelog rtty contesting setup running successfully using IP comms and writelog flex driver.

2 - Anybody else experience these issues.

3 - What RTTY contest setups do people run with the Flex 6000

I see my choices as

- sort out writelog and ip comms

- run writelog with comms using TS2000 rig option with smart Cat and DAX

- Use N1MM+ Smart Cat and DAX (N1MM unfortunately does not support  IP comms and the smartSDR API)

There appears to be a lot of mention to N1MM in latest Beta release does Flex have a special relationship with N1MM devt team hence making it a good choice for the future.

Any help appreciated Andy M5ZAP

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If you haven't already, you might want to copy Wayne (Writelog author) with this info.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I shared this on the alpha list, we have a couple of WL users there.  I think the N1MM stuff is simply because more hams use it than any other logger.  but we do testing with all major loggers and even some lesser used ones.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited January 2017
    Ok Duane thanks I will do. I couldn't find a writelog support group , I'm sure there used to be a yahoo group. I presume his contact details are on the writelog web page.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    Thanks
  • Joe Duerbusch
    Joe Duerbusch Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi Andy, I am running the same, 6300, Writelog 12.xx, WlFlex Drive, MMTTY within Writelog.
    I made abouut 500 RTTY Q's in the RTTY Roundup with no problem at all.
    Here is my comments:

My questions are

1 - Has anybody got writelog rtty contesting setup running successfully using IP comms and writelog flex driver.

Yes, but what do you mean by IP Comms??  I am using DAX and CAT only.

2 - Anybody else experience these issues.

No.

3 - What RTTY contest setups do people run with the Flex 6000

I see my choices as

- sort out wr itelog and ip comms -- Use DAX and CAT

- run writelog with comms using TS2000 rig option with smart Cat and DAX

Select Flex 6300 series from the Rig pull down in the Setup menu in Writelog

- Use N1MM+ Smart Cat and DAX (N1MM unfortunately does not support  IP comms and the smartSDR API)

N1MM is used by many people.  I have not use it as I am a longtime Writelog user

I don't know what to tell you about your network problem.  But I have no problem here with direct connect to my home network.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Any help appreciated Andy M5ZAP"

Joe K0BX

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

If you have installed the flexradio writelog driver "WlFlexDriver1203A" off the writelog site then writelog connects to the flex using TCP/IP comms. You can tell if you are connected that way as when you select the flex in the Writelog ports menu it will not have a Comm port associated with it but will just list the name of your radio in the com port select drop down box.

If you could look in the far left column and see if you have the network name of your radio or a comx listed there, then it will tell me if we are connected to Writelog in the same way.

As I listed at the end of my post one option is to connect to writelog using SmartSDR Cat and Dax but I would like to get the IP connection working as there are many advantages to connecting in that way.

Many Thanks Andy M5ZAP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.