Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I really need to install SmartCAT?

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Since I've been having issues with SmartCAT / FlexVSP arbitrarily tagging com ports as (in use), I've started to wonder if I really need to use SmartCAT and FlexVSP at all.....

I currently run DDUtil which I believe talks directly to the Flex via IP.  I also have DDUtil configured to emulate Ham Radio Deluxe.  I do not run the main HRD program.  I only run HRD DM780 and HRD Logbook.  Once again both DM780 and HRD Logbook should get HRD emulation directly from DDUtil.  I don't believe they need any CAT interface at this point.

I also run cw skimmer which I believe talks directly to the Flex via IP.

So - Do I really need to be installing SmartCAT and FlexVSP at all?

Norm - W7CK

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    DDUil will throw error message if SSDR CAT is not running..
    AL, K0VM
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Norm 

What happens when you remove it? Or was that, what you were asking about?
    My total guess would be that due to the many reports that folks have had to manually reinstall FlexVSP and SmartCAT in order to get  SmartSDR to function correctly, that SmartCAT might need to be installed.  

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'd be be interested to learn more about your ddutil configuration with the apps you mention asomething I'd like to disable SmartCAT for the time being. Rjlawn@gmail.com.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It was wishful thinking I guess, but I just had to try.

I thought I could do away with SmartCAT / FlexVSP so I decided to reinstall SmartSDR and leave them out of the install process.  That went smoothly.  Next I fired up DDUtil, HRD's DM780 and HRD Logbook.  Everything looked good at first.  The correct frequencies are shown in both HRD programs, I can copy PSK using DM780. I can even change bands and frequencies from within DM780 and my Flex follows along.  BUT, there appears to be a few functions within DDUtil that still rely on SmartCAT.   There are several functions that don't work properly.  One example is when you change frequency from within SmartSDR a popup stating

"CAT Server Send Error. It appears the server is not connected. Please correct the problem and try again. DDUtil".

What's really strange is that I see nowhere in DDUtil that references a COM port for the Flex.  The only connection I see is an IP connection on the first page of the setup.  How it knows what port to talk to the Flex on is beyond me.

Darn, it is so close too!   It sure would have been nice to not have to use the old legacy CAT interface.

Norm - W7CK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.