Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New here: Hello all. Question: Can the 6700 with the Maestro, do diversity beam steering just like

FrankP
FrankP Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Can the 6700 with the Maestro, do diversity beam steering like the Anan 200D? That's a feature I really like. 73 de WA3RSL

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Diversity YES Beam steering...Not Yet
  • FrankP
    FrankP Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Howard.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yes, diversity, but no on beam-forming.  That requires the ability to add the two receiver signals together with variable amplitude and phase.  SSDR software does not currently provide that capability.

The Flex version of diversity allows you to listen to the detected outputs of two receivers and two separate antennas, say on L and R headphones. You then can mix the results in "wetware" (between your ears) to help reduce the effect of fading in one or the other channel.  

For "beam forming", you want to phase and add the signals, pre-detection.  The major benefit IMO is the ability to null out an interfering signal that comes from a particular azimuth.  It would be a nice feature to have, but not a high priority for most ham operations. [I tried this on an Anan 100D and found that it worked, but it was tricky to get a good null.]

With additional software, you should be able to do the signal combining via the DAX I/Q outputs.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The Flex 5000 had it.  The 6700 will soon too.  Soon™, I hope.
  • len
    len Member ✭✭

Any progress in this area? I would like to do more with diversity reception, but the flex sdr software dos not offer much.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.