Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is “fldigi on Mac” possible?

Andrew Rose
Andrew Rose Member ✭✭
Since “Maestro” became  available I have used it to control my “Flex-6500” and I only keep my PC laptop for fldigi.  Question - is it possible to run a copy of fldigi on my “iMac 27” - macOS Sierra” ?

I have been contemplating installing “Boot Camp + Windows” on my iMac, but would rather dispense with Windows altogether.  Also I am not really happy compiling programs!

Any advice welcome.

Answers

• Gastonet
    Gastonet Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Andrew, get the latest version of fldigi for OSX at SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Very possible and very effective. I use DogPark SDR and FLDIGI for Mac. Works fine. Try Loopback (by Rogue Amoeba) as a DAX replacement to move the audio around.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    By the way, other than for updating the Flex firmware, I barely ever boot to Windows anymore.
  • Craig McVeay
    Craig McVeay Member
    edited February 2020
    Hi Andrew, Fldigi works just fine on your Mac.  I am currently running it on a MacBook Pro with Sierra - no problems at all.  If you don't want to have to boot/reboot to get back and forth from Windows and the Mac OS, take a look at Parallels.  Version 12, the latest will run Sierra and WIndows 7 through 10.  With Parallels, your windows desktop is integrated right into the Mac OS desktop so you aren't rebooting to get to either OS.

Craig McVeay
    N0CSM
  • Craig McVeay
    Craig McVeay Member
    edited December 2016
    George, does the DogPark SDR support more than one slice yet?  I haven't looked at it since this past summer.

Thanks,
    Craig
    N0CSM
  • Andrew Rose
    Andrew Rose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just been to this location and downloaded the file, when I try to run it the operating system says You can’t open the application “fldigi-3.23.18_setup.exe” because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS.  is this the wrong file?
  • Gastonet
    Gastonet Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    .exe is a Windows binary, download the OSX image version instead: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/fldigi-3.23.18_i386.dmg/download
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One panadapter only, with two slices.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    But then he still has to run a Windows environment. And a new Macbook won't run Windows 7 any more, so you are stuck with W10 or 8. Ick. 

But if you want to run DAX, you need to use a Windows PC. If you want to use fldigi in OS X, you will need to run a sound card to the input and output of the maestro. 

This will work okay. Just like most radios running digital modes. Technically DAX will be better, but I spent years using soundcards to legacy radios, and they all ran FB. Plus any chance to not run Windows is a plus in my book. Go for it!
  • Andrew Rose
    Andrew Rose Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
     Thanks to your advice I now have fldigi up on my iMac. It believe it is running because if I type a call sign in the main display ‘Call’ box it looks up the qrz.com data, so far so good!

The next problem is with a couple of configuration forms.  (I remember having problems in this area when setting up the PC version, but thankfully that is now all sorted and the system works ok.) 

One configuration screen causing me are problem is - [Configure  >  Rig  >  RigCAT]

For instance in the [Rig description file] in the PC version I downloaded a file ‘SmartSDR_SliceA.xml’ what do I put here? and in the Device box, COM4 is not an option in the Mac version drop down box.

The other problem screen is  [Configure  >  Audio  >  Devices]

The PC version I am using,  Capture = DAX Audio RX (FlexRadio Systems DAX Audio), and Playback = DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio Systems DAX TX).  The drop down menu on the Mac version is very different.

There could be other problems but until these two screens are entered correctly I dont think I am going to get anywhere.

Please can you offer further advice - please.

• Gastonet
    Gastonet Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In OSX using the SmartSDR_SliceA.xml won't be possible, since that is a configuration file for using the Flex DAX, but, as George said, you can use DogPark SDR (in replacement of SmartSDR) and SoundFlower (which is free instead of RogueAmoeba Loopback) to route the audio between fldigi and DogPark SDR.

Links:
    SoundFlower (DAX subsitute in Mac)
    https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower

DogPark SDR (SmartSDR subsitute in Mac)
    https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

You will can do exactly the same as you do in Windows but in Mac. Don't give up.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Soundflower is not supported in the more recent versions of MacOS. It may work unreliably. Loopback or SoundSiphon are more up-to-date.
  • Chip Swett
    Chip Swett Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Has anyone gotten this working with iCAT and iDAX from DL3LSM?
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes! Newly released version 1.08 support s DL3LSM's xDax AND there is now support for the new SmartLink protocol as well! Life is good/better/best with Mac and DogparkSDR! https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.