Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote operation not connecting on Some WiFi although showing up on the screen through VPN

I am operating from my Daughters house trying to use the my iPad and Iphone Smart SDR App .
Using Soft ether VPN I can connect to my home VPN set up , it works fine DIRECTLY from my iphone or iPad Pro using the VPN and using either my hotspot from Sprint or my hotspot from ATT connects perfect every time but when I try to use the WiFi at my daughters house it connects to my VPN no problem, shows the Flex 6300 on the screen trying to discover but Never connects. Only way to connect is through my hotspot. I had this issue a few other times from other WiFI connections remotely? SIgnal is strong and speed shows 10MB but wont connect to the radio ? Almost like the port is blocked here she is using COX Triple play TV phone and internet High speed. Any thoughts? Thanks. I have a fix through my hotspot but hate to use all my monthly data.My direct email is n2bj@comcast.net
N2BJ

Answers

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Barry, nice to see you in the flex world..

perhaps the remote network is using the same private IP range as the WIFI network you are on and the NAT is not working quite right?  A way to avoid that would be to turn your home network into a less likely used range, such as 10.X.X.X rather than the ubiquitously common 192.168.1.X to get a more consistent result.

• Barry J Cohen
    Barry J Cohen Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for response Chris. This would be a multiple day job as it has taken forever to get all the cameras, security, repeaters and access points to work properly and honestly I am dangerous on network setting sharing etc. I am computer literate but shallownon complicated network settings and sharing. I have a work around using my 2 hotspots from my cellphones but even slowing the display it sucks up my data so quick . When I have a high speed cable modem with unlimited data and it's fast I am looking for a alternate fix. I have been running remote for over 15 years using Skype and Remote Desktop or team viewer but having the Flex now and the Flex Remote app on my iPad and iPhone is unbelievable! Thanks again 73 Merry Xmas and happy holidays to all Barry N2Bj
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No problem Barry, once again its great to see another regular contester out here...  If you need any contest related setup assistance/station integration or whatever,  I have been working with the flex team for over a year on contest related issues and am part of the Alpha group.  Feel free to drop me an email direct if you need assistance in filling any of the functionality gaps.  73 OM.

Chris
    N6WM
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I had that same problem. I could access my Flex from my Verizon network but when I switched my iPhone to the WiFi, it would see the Flex but I could not connect. I changed everything from 192.1.1.**** to 192.10.1.**** and everything started working again. That is great info and thank you for providing this information.

Jim, K6QE

• Barry J Cohen
    Barry J Cohen Member
    edited December 2016
    Jim you changed just the flex and soft ether vpn or everything in the system??
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited December 2016

No, you must have each LAN IP subnet different for SmartSDR for IOS to see the radio. They cannot be the same. As Chris pointed out, I use a 10.x.x.x scheme to try and keep it different from off the shelf consumer routers.

I know it can be a laborious task to change your home network but you will be better off down the road.

If your daughter's house does not have anything that has a fixed IP address you can change her router to not conflict with your existing home subnet for now.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    This will not help him with SmartSDR for IOS. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited December 2016
    I think for it to work on same LAN subnets you need both SoftEther server (at home) and client (remote). I don't remember seeing a SoftEther client for iPad or iPhone.

Dave wo2x
  • Barry J Cohen
    Barry J Cohen Member
    edited May 2017

Thanks to all. I just want to point out the MY Softether is on a separate server it is on a Rasberry PI. Unfortunately I am not an expert on programming in the Rasberry Pi Language or at setting up bridges and VPN so I need all the help I can get. Now that I explained I have the VPN SoftEther on the Raspberry PI does anyone have a quick fix for me. Like stated if I use my Iphone either on Sprint or ATT with the Hotspot it works every time just sucks up all my DATA on my plan.Thanks again for everyones input just need a quick fix if possible.73 Barry N2BJ   n2bj@Comcast.net

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.