Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

dogparkSDR over VPN

Rob G6EIH
Rob G6EIH Member
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Been looking around the the system here to see if anyone has managed to get dogparkSDR working remotely over VPN and have not found anything conclusive, maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

I have remote operation working fine with my PC's, Mastero etc via Softether however I'd like to try and get dogparkSDR running remotely on my iMac, any thoughts or assistance would be much appreciated.

Answers

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have used my Macbook Pro with dogparkSDR remote several times.  I use softether.  There is a mac version but I am running the sothether server software on a raspberry pi.  You don't need to install any software on the Mac running dogpark.   You just setup the vpn via the settings.  I am on vacation right now but i can help you when I get back if needed.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I just re-read your post.  If you already have sothether setup, all you have to do is setup the VPN on your mac via settings.  You don't need to install any software.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You need bridge mode on SoftEther for dpSDR to work. My script that I wrote for automated installs of SoftEther will configure it for that, but if you have SoftEther configured already you can change it from NAT to bridge.
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited February 2020
    I have softether running on my PC in bridge mode, just wondering what ports dpSDR needs?
    All my other VPN connections work good Mastero, iPad, iPhone, Windows tablet and so on.

iMac VPN connects to softether and is getting an IP address it's just dpSDR not seeing the radio.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    The standard ports are:

TCP 4992 
    UDP 4991 and 4992

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I also found that in order to get dpSDR to connect, I had to click the dropdown. image
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ria, I had missed 4992 UDP, done it now but dpSDR still not seeing the radio.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    What color in dpSDR is the indicator flashing?
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Click the dropdown to the left of the yellow and select the radio from there. It is kind of finnicky though, and doesn't seem to always work. 
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Nope nothing doing, I'm away from here for a few hours now and will try again later today, thanks for trying.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    any update Rob?

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    Na never did get it to work via VPN, will try again when I have time over the holiday.
  • K6TD
    K6TD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    dogParkSDR works fine over VPN on OS X 11.6 El Capitan, where the far end is a soft ether VPN server.  If you use the OS X "builtin" client, it will connect using L2 P2P.  Plenty secure.  To configure the OS X "end", go to network preferences, and add a VPN client as an L2/P2P, and then fill in the info from the softether server. 

As a note - most FWs and VPN servers WON'T forward UDP broadcast packets.  Soft ether server VPN has code in it to forward UDP broadcasts down the tunnel.  It's needed to support some MS protocols (and Flex discovery).

73, K6TD
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited December 2016
    I have VPN working on everything else iPhone, iPad, W10 tablet, and Maestro, it's only the iMac that's proving difficult to get working.
    Running Sierra 10.12.1 here, VPN via a L2TP which connects fine and I get an IP address however Dog Park is just not seeing the connection.
  • GarySOwnsby
    GarySOwnsby Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I just set up dogparkSDR v1.07 running on a late model MacBook Pro using a SoftEther VPN Server (on another PC on my home network).  'Ran fine right out of the "box" so to speak.

Create the VPN connection in the Mac first.

Turn off your smartphone's wifi connection to your home wifi network (if you have it set up that way).  Then connect your Mac to your smartphone via wifi, then turn on the VPN connection.

Probably don't need to say this to most folks but you can't test using your home network direct since you'd  be on the same network.

The WAN/VPN via cellular works pretty well with only an occasional latency hit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.