Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro and VPN Setup ?

2»

Answers

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Arnie and Ria. Will let you know how it goes.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim if you watch the video ... Chris has a cheat sheet right in the video on the right of the screen.

• Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Arnie , is it possible to put a switch at the "Vacation" end and plugin both the Maestro and a laptop into the Rasp. Pi , so I could share the VPN connection ??

Bill 
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill:
    Sounds like you want the 'vacation' Pi3 to act as a router and I am not sure if Softether client supports that on the pi. If it does not, just pick up a cheap router that has wifi and connect the Pi3 ethernet to the cheap router WAN port. You would have to set the WAN port on the router to a static IP address that matches the ethernet IP address of the Pi3. Then you could connect any number of devices to the router, either via ethernet cable or wifi, such as your Maestro, your computer, your smartphone etc.
    It sounds more complicated than it is.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill, you can absolutely put a switch at the "vacation" pi endpoint. The way the vpn works is that it runs in bridge mode and establishes a vpn bridge to your home network. 

I would discourage the use of the router behind the Pi because that would add NAT which would not work with the broadcast protocol. 
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ria

Another question for you. I have a friend who lives in a Condo and has no access to a radio. He has been testing my Maestro with the Rasp. Pi  3  as a VPN for last few weeks. He can't afford a Maestro. 
    What if he bought another Rasp. Pi 3 and we set it up with the same program and use Smart SDR on a laptop. Could he login to my Rasp. Pi 2 VPN server at my residence at the same time I have one logged in while in Florida? or would one have to be turned off before the other is turn on etc ?  Only one would be logged into the Flex 6500 at a time. Just concerned that if he left the Rasp Pi running that I would not be able to get into the VPN. 

Bill
    VA3QB
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    No problem I think you can set the RP3 to accept multiple simultaneous logins If so, then SmarSDR has a tool to allow you to kick off the other user
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    By default it can accept multiple logins. The only constraint would be CPU and RAM for the encryption (VPN uses encryption) but the pi barely breaks a sweat. 
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So the Rasp Pi 2 that is at home connected to the home router can accept a second Rasp Pi 3 connection from a second location?   I just need to be sure before my friend orders a Rasp. Pi 3.....  Do I need to edit the programing on the Home Rasp Pi 2 VPN Server ?

Bill 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes that is correct. 
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ria, 
    I have a DVMega I assembled , and I was able to upload some basic image, but that is as far as I have gotten.  
    I own a Window 10 laptop/tablet thing as well as a Macbook Pro and an IPAD.   I also own a Maestro , and my main interest is WAN with my Maestro for when I travel in order to operate my home 6700 base station.   I am a bit tired of waiting for SmartSdr version 2.0 (since I bought my 6700 and Maestro preorder at Dayton 2015!)   
    Can you be of help in the best/easiest way for me to accomplish my task, given I am very ignorant of most things computer.
    Keith 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure what you're using DVmega for but you don't need it for the vpn. For the server (home) endpoint use my script to set it up. For the remote (maestro) end you can follow Chris K6OZY's video and it will show you how to. I have a test script to do it for the maestro end but I have a few bugs to shake out of it.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hello Ria,
    I've been following this post and your script. I'm curious how close are you to posting your home server endpoint?
    Thanks
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My comment shows you how ignorant I am of this subject. I am mostly interested in setting my maestro up for remote wifi operation and I will google the call sign you recommended. As far as "your script", I am even unsure how to implement that.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I too am a computer neophyte, but surprised myself in being able to set up a Pi after following the K6OZY videos (although I am sure Ria's script will make it easier). I was surprised how relatively straightforward it is!

Tim VE6SH

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Soon I hope. Things have been super busy here with the holidays and my increased workload at my day job. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The VPN setup is via the GUI which is very straightforward. 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ria. Those darned day jobs spoil all the fun!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    We had a sudden departure of one of my team members so my workload is now added to his until we fill the position. Also messes up my holidays. :(
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I can relate!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I set up a VPN between my laptop and my home network a few months ago and I've successfully used it to access my Flex while traveling.

I am one of those who uses DDUtil.  I have it running on my home computer which has USB to serial cables going to my KAT500 and KPA500.  DDUtil works great.  It also has a built in Ham Radio Deluxe emulator which is a nice feature. 

When I operate remote, I can run the Flex across the VPN but I still have to use TeamViewer to connect to my home PC desktop in order to use DDUtil.

Have any of you gotten DDUtil to work on a remote by using any of the Remote USB over Ethernet servers?  I'd love to not have to use TeamViewer just to access DDUtil for KAT500 and KPA500 control.

• Ric KV1W
    Ric KV1W Member
    edited February 2017

posts by k6ozy

• WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Norm,

I'm not sure if SoftVNC can do it; but, I setup an OpenVPN server / router in 'bridge' mode, with the help of a friend, and use a laptop as my DDUTIL controller and use the windows Bridge in Win7 and Win10 between the OpenVPN and the Maestro. Works out great to control all of my Shack hardware with DDUTIL and the laptop is used for all of the digital modes.

Maestro controls my 6700 and the laptop for rotor, linear , SteppIR and remote power control via DDUTIL.

Mike
  • Howard
    Howard Member
    edited April 2017
    I have a VPN set up in my asus router (openvpn) it works fine using my IPAD with smartsdr however I'm trying to get my Maestro to work from 300 miles away before the next 3 days and wonder if theres a fast fix? Is there any hidden VPN config in the maestro ..I've been waiting too long for Flex to make this all work .Any help will be appreciated VE2AED@GMAIL.com
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Not at the moment, at least not until 2.0. You can use a raspberry pi and set up a LAN to LAN vpn and that will work. You can even do that with a windows PC.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yes, I use DDUTIL on my laptop, when remote and the desktop, when local. Both connect to my 4port Ethernet to RS232 device. Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.