Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

BCD output already controlling my ALS-1306 and new Beta release

K9SO
K9SO Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
The cable has 3.3v data levels, but both my ALS-1306 and Yaesu Quadra amplifiers with ABCD inputs accept 3.3v or 5v logic levels. For some reason I was expecting 5v so I'll have some trouble with the CMOS input antenna switch I built for it (decoding the BCD), but that's easily fixed. 

After I saw the post, it took me about 15 minutes to get it all up and running (I had the hardware ready and waiting). SImple SW updates and setup from the Maestro. Plug and play with no issues!

I've been waiting for this for a long time. THANK YOU!

Comments

• Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I need the cable configurations you used. I also have a ALS-1306 and a 6500 Dennis KM6DF
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Dennis,

Pretty simple really. I used the "store bought"  Yaesu amplifier interface cable DB-DB15Y available from DX Engineering and other distributors. This brings out the Yaesu "ABCD" inputs from the amplifier for access.

I plugged this into a DB-15 female breakout board from Amazon that brings the pins to a terminal block.

On the DB 15 cable from the amplifier the connections are

A: Pin 4 of the connector  (later connect to ORANGE A wire from FTDI cable)
    B: Pin 5 of the connector  (later connect to YELLOW  B wire from FTDI cable)
    C: Pin 6 of the connector (later connect to  GREEN C wire from FTDI cable)
    D: Pin 7 of the connector  (later connect to BROWN D wire from FTDI cable)

Ground: Pin 3 (connect to BLACK wire from FTDI cable)

(there is a good diagram shipped with the DB-DB15Y)

Then you need the FTDI USB cable of course. I bought one from Mouser for $26 ( mouser p/n 895-C232HM-EDHSL-0)

Follow the color coding above and as shown for ARRAY SOLUTIONS BANDMASTER III on page 16 of the FlexRadio manual. SImply wire the ABCD pins from the FTDI cable directly to the pins on the breakout board from the amplifier.

The FTDI cable has 3.3v logic outputs but both the Yaesu and 1306 can easily interface to 3.3v logic. I've been using a program I wrote for the Raspberry Pi (with 3.3v GPIOs) that frequency sniffs using the API so I know you won't have any issue with driving the 1306 ABCD inputs directly. 

Incidentally, I parallel these ABCD lines with a CMOS BCD to decimal converter so I can select individual bands for antenna switching. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I feared the 5v logic wouldn't work with the FTDI outputs, but the spec says it should and it does. 

So I'm good to go!

Hope this helps,

Fred
    K9SO

• Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks looks pretty easy I need to order some parts tonight Dennis KM6DF
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Fred and others watching this thread
    Just to concur with your finding of 3.3 Volts on the output wiring, My Supposedly 5 Volt cable puts out 3.3 Volts as well.

I have the BCD , RS232 cable, and the BCD relay Board running Fine business on the FLEX with a USB powered HUB.

Just be aware everyone that don't try to run more then 2 devices on a UN-POWERED USB HUB plugged into the radio, the radio will shut down and have to do a hard reset and may damage the radio. 

73's
    Bret

• David H Hickman
    edited December 2016
    As a general rule, never run an unpowered hub unless you have confirmed that the SINGLE USB port supports high amperage. Anytime you see multiple USB ports together like on the flex or raspiberri pi, it is somewhat safe to assume that it is already a low powered hub built into the device. that is usually only designed for a dongle or keyboard/mouse. In Dell land there is a SS or a lightning symbol next to the SINGLE usb port. In other words buck up and pay the extra dollar for the powered hub.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The ALS1306 will ALSO control with the FTDI RS232 cable, Just have to wire a simple 3 wire interface cable between the two using just TXD, RXD and Ground pins.
    Just remember to run Computers TXD to the Amps RXD, and Computer RXD to the Amps TXD.  
    Very simple and works just as well as the BCD cable does just have to use the RS232 pins in the AMP's DB9 connector using the Kenwood Radio's RS232 format.  NO KENWOOD CABLE REQUIRED.

Computer           AMP
    Pin 2  RXD             Pin4 TXD
    Pin3   TXD             Pin3 RXD
    Pin5 Ground       Pin6 Ground

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Brett, if you pull up the FTDI cable specs from their website, you'll see that all of their cables are 3.3v logic.

I saw the 5v reference on one of them too, but that only refers to the aux. voltage output on the RED output wire. One version outputs 3.3v and the other 5.0v. The C232HM-EDHSL-0 is the 5v aux. output cable. 

Initially seeing that I guess that's why I thought it would be 5v logic too.

Fred
    K9SO
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good point and I concur. I chose the ABCD configuration since I wanted to add a BCD to decimal converter for antenna selection and could just bridge the high impedance CMOS inputs across them.

No reason you can't do both with a second FTDI cable. This system is very flexible and well thought out.

Fred
  • Ron Reiter
    Ron Reiter Member
    edited October 2019
    Can you share the diagram that came with the DB-DB15Y? I am looking to make one and need the information. Thank you  Ron N0KMR
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Ron,

My diagram is likely at my other home if I saved it at all. But I don't think you need an interface cable at all if you don't want to bridge the ABCD outputs for another application like I did ... .

Just wire up the FTDI cable directly to one of these $11 db-15F breakout adapters and plug it in directly to the 1306 interface connector:

https://www.amazon.com/TwinkleBay-Female-Terminal-Breakout-Connector/dp/B07B8ZLT5V/ref=sr_1_4?keywor...

As I mentioned in the earlier post, the FTDI cable is 3.3v logic output but the 1306 5v TTL inputs accept it just fine so no interface or adapter is required. 

Fred
    K9SO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.