Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE Amp 1.3kw and Smart BETA SDR and 6700 getting along...

kk4x
kk4x Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
SMART SDR BETA
SPE 1.3K-FA, amplifier working so far with FLEX 6700, no need of  3rd party Utility Program as far as I can see. Cable purchased and provided by Dan Tassell KC5PCB of Expert Linears. PLUG n PLAY
73, Ed KK4x

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I setup my 6500 and SPE 1K-FA this afternoon via USB using the same cable I made to use with DDUTIL and it works awesome. I set the SPE drive levels and am quite pleased with how it operates.
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hello,

Do you have a pinout on that cable or a post i can look at?

Thank you,

Larry ke2yc
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Make up this cable then use a ftdi serial to usb converter cable with it.

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited November 2019
    The only cable I use is the rca to key the amp. I set the Flex fo 9 watts max output and set the tune power to 1 watt.  9 watts gives me 1200 out of the spe 1.3.  I cant really see the advantage of having a lot a cables.

Roger
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Larry, are you saying we can plug both USB cables from the 1.3k-FA into the Flex USB port with v1.10.8?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes. That's how I have mine setup. I have one serial adapter associated with each antenna so when that slice gets TX enabled it sends CAT data. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The CAT cable makes it so that you're ready on the new band without transmitting and having the frequency counter change the band on the amp. It helps prevent hot switching which can damage relays. 

The other advantage is automatic drive power control. IF you have the CAT on the 1.3K-FA set to "Flex" and connect a cable the amp will automatically adjust the drive power for LOW, MID and MAX settings. You can adjust this power yourself.  It's a convenient way for a power drop when needed (eg to keep the amp cool, use less power etc). Also you can use the rig 100w barefoot and as soon as you press "operate" it will lower the drive power to a safe level for the amp. 
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it works very well as Ria explained.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am a bit confused here, can we just use the USB from the SPE into the USB of the Flex?
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Use the 15 pin cat to 9 pin serial cable you most likely already made to use your spe with DDUTIL. Then connect the 9 pin serial end to a FTDI Serial to USB converter cable and plug it into the flex USB Port.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OK. I thought I could connect the USB directly to the Flex radio.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The rest of the story:  I connected and brought-up my 1.3k-FA as described by DDUtil and all worked as advertised, first time...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The USB on the SPE expert amps does not carry CAT data. Only the 15 pin Dsub connectors do. The USB is just for the control software.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited December 2016
    The drive power lowers to 20 watts when amp is switched to operate, i need to drop to 5 watts, where is this power level set, i can't adjust it manually with the mouse when amp is in operate mode.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Press the arrow buttons (right side, NOT the L and C buttons) on the amp and it will raise/lower drive power. You need to do this for each band as well as for Low/Mid/Max, and yes, drive power on each band for max power is different. Do this once and the amp will retain these settings and automatically set your drive power whenever you switch bands. I also set 30m to 1w drive on all 3 power levels. This way I only get 200w out. 
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ria, Is there a way to control the operate button on the Amp from the radio rather than from the Term 1.3KA usb  program.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    currently not possible. However, you can do it in DDUtil. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.