Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

D-RATS support for DStar waveform ???

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Any hope for D-RATS slow data support with the Flex 6000 Series DStar waveform in 2017?  Would be nice to have for (RF and internet based) emergency communications, file transfers, email, chats,  etc.

---Gary WB8ROL

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you do the maths, you'll find that data transfer via D-RATS on air is much too slow for anything longer than a short message. You can chat on wire, though. BTW C4FM radios by YAESU are also very slow transferring data. 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited March 2017
    I have been using D-RATS slow data with my ID-880H for messaging, file transfer, and chatting.  It is NOT too slow for emergency communications work.  It may be too slow for you - but it is HIGHLY useful for many many many others and I don't need to do any math .  And this thread is NOT about questioning the usefulness of slow data - It's about hoping that DStar waveform and helper program will support it.  
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gary, if you're near a D-Star repeater supporting data communication you may be able to use it for messaging and file transfer, but I doubt that using it for EMCOMM would work.
    When I did set up DM0WM, our local D-Star repeater, I disabled data comms because I want maximum bandwidth for DV. We use PACTOR, RPR and PR for EMCOMM, because these modes are reliable, error correcting and relatively fast. Reliability is everything in EMCOMM, if you're working with emergency services. We regularly do training exercises and get a lot of data to transfer and verify. 
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited November 2016
    OK, let me try again -
    WE ALREADY USE DSTAR (ON SIMPLEX) FOR EMMCOMM USING DSTAR RADIOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WORKS FINE FOR US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT IS NOT OUR ONLY EMCOMM OPTION BUT IT IS AN IMPORTANT ONE FOR US AND MANY OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS POSTING IS ABOUT WONDERING AND HOPING IF THE FLEX COMPANION APP FOR THE DSTAR THUMBDV AND THE WAVEFORM WILL SUPPORT ALL OF THE SLOW DATA MODE OPTIONS IN THE FUTURE.

I APPRECIATE YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT DSTAR AND SLOW DATA BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS POSTING IS ABOUT.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Relax a little Gary, no need to go all caps and yell at people. If you want my opinion, Use a D-Star native radio for D-Rats, not a flex.  I apologize aforehand, as I have no intention of making you angry, and I have no idea what the next generation will support. But no one here is trying to be rude to you.

I would suggest that you ask the question directly to FlexRadio Systems, as most of here are just users, and we  might not be able to give you the data that you need. 
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited November 2016
    Hi Michael,

I am relaxed and posting here is a "fairly" direct way to possibly get an answer from someone at Flex.  My original posting is a valid question - though Flex may not have an answer at this time.

I admit I do get a bit frustrated though when people sometimes inadvertently veer off the topic and hijack posts but when I have to repeat myself - all caps can help - it's not yelling - it's just raising my voice level to get attention since my first reply did not seem to get through.  

Since most of the users of this forum (unless they have inside information) can't answer this simple question then they don't need to answer anything.  And I am sure if any of the guys/gals at flex have an answer they will see my posting.  I don't see the need to write them directly when they have this forum for that purpose.

Anyway, I am interested in knowing if there is any chance the D-RATS low data support will show up in 2017 for their thumb drive and companion app.  I was not looking for opinions or a discussion in this specific post - but rather information.

---Gary

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Perhaps you aren't familiar with  internet posting ettiquitte, so I'll let you know. Posting in all caps is considered yelling at people, and lines of exclamation points is considered angry raging.

As for not answering your question unless directly addressing what you want to read, this is a public forum, and most people are here to help or at least share. When all goes well, its like a conversation with friends. I do have a suspicion that you will not have a problem with unwanted responses at all any more, which is in part why I suggested direct contact with Flex. Good day sir, and good luck. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2018
    The source code for waveforms and the companion applets are available to anyone.  We did this purposely so that third-parties can (a) improve the waveforms and (b) add new ones.  If you need additional feature functionality for D-Star, you may want to see if there are any enterprising hams out there that may want to take on a project of this nature.  Our development team will be more than happy to provide the needed support to assist them in their endeavor.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for the information Tim.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    You're welcome, Gary.
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Then why did you quit selling the DSTAR DV stick and remove the DSTAR Waveform from your files directory without explanation?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.