Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connect Expert 1k-fa to 6500

baz
baz Member ✭✭

I have a Flex 6500 and an Expert 1k-fa, I have been trying to figure out how to connect the Flex to the 1k.I am using a laptop to run the 6500 hundred which works very well barefoot. The laptop hasnt got a D connector so I have purchased a usb to 9 pin converter and woder what other cables are need and the connections?.I am a dummy when to comes to computers so any help pic’s or links etc. would be very helpful.

Thanks

Baz

Answers

• Steve Kennedy
    Steve Kennedy Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Baz. I'm working on exactly this as we speak for a client and should have a paper written on it over the next few days. I'll share it with the group once it is done. If anyone else has it done already, don't be shy! (Happy to save some effort!
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Guys!

Search this forum and you'll find a few posts on this.

In general the solution is the usb-serial adapter you have plus a program called DDUTIL.  DDUTIL will connect to your 6500 and will manage the expert bandswitching AND power settings for you.

If that is overwhelming or you do not want the complexity, the expert linears will band follow.  This means all you need for your connection is:

Coax for RF input
    Phono plug for TX relay

In this mode you would enable TX1 (or whatever port on your 6500 you want) to close when TX.  Then when band changing you MUST keep your power initially down to about 3-5 watts and give a carrier and the amp will band switch.  Then you can increase your 6500 power.

I have a 1k and 6300.  Generally your 6500 power will be 20 watts or less to get full output on the 1k.

Of course in the band follow simple mode you'd use the front panel of the 1k to set half/full power and to enable or standby the amp.

If you use DDUTIL this is all handled in the DDUTIL program.  All those controls are right there so you never have to touch your amp.  DDUTIL can even turn it on/off for you.

Mark - WS7M
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexr... The above post has complete details
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have just gone through this and I found the amount of conflicting information quite difficult to wade through.

Configuration is actually incredibly simple. The amp only requires a single RS232 connection to your computer (running DDUtil) and the wiring is straight-through so a standard null-modem type cable won't work (I assume it is wired this way as the amp is considered a DCE device?). As a minimum you need RXD/TXD/GND and DTR connected (DTR is used to power on/off the 1K-FA)

Once you have the cable connected, the CAT type MUST be set to RS232 (not Flex or Kenwood like I have seen on other instructions). You then just need to enable the SPE amp and select 1k and the serial port that you connected in DDUtil.

You will know if it worked as the Temp and other settings will be updated in the SPE 1K window within DDUtil. If this hasn't worked then check that the cable is wired correctly.

Bandswitching is also achieved through this single connection so there is no need to connect anything to either of the 15-way CAT ports on the 1K-FA.

You don't need to configure anything under RCPs or Passive Listener which is what confused me as some instructions say you do. I have full control of my 1K-FA with full bandswitching. 

It is also worth configuring AutoDrive as these settings stop you over-driving the amp.

73 Phil

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If you have the 1K-FA amp you can also get autodrive directly from the amplifier without using DDUTIL's autodrive.  I find it easier to use the little known 1K-FA feature.  Here's how you do it.  With DDUTIL providing CAT to the amp and with DDUTIL's autodrive not selected, simply press either of the amps left or right arrow buttons, (not the tuning buttons) while the amp is in the "Operate" mode. The left button turns the drive power up from the 6700 while the right button turns it down.  A small pop-up number just above the tune buttons will come up when one of the arrow buttons is pressed providing you with the drive power in watts. Adjusting these buttons will change the drive power from the 6700. Different drive power for different bands can be set this way.

For those with the 1.2 K or the 2 K, this adjustment from the amp is not available.

Doug
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sub post, this will work with the Flex 6300 through the 6700.
    Doug
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The 1.3K and 2K have the exact same feature set. I own the 1.3K AMP and allow the AMP to control power setting of my 6500. I do not use DDUTIL. I use SmartSDR CAT program.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    There are two SPE CAT Cable Options:

Option 1: Serial CAT using RS232 Voltages use SPE DB15M Pins 1 RX, 9 TX and 4 GND

Option 2: Serial CAT using TTL Voltages use SPE DB15M Pins 10 RX, 3 TX and 4 GND

From your description you need to use option 1, your 1K manual diagram 12.6 shows this. Where it states radio connector substitute your USB to Serial device.

Consult the Pin out of your device. DB9 Male 2-RX, 3-TX, 5-GND

So SPE Pin1 to DB9 Pin3; SPE Pin9 to DB9 Pin2; SPE Pin4 to DB9 Pin5

Then configure SmartSDR CAT program for serial port for your USB to RS232 device, select CAT mode.
    Serial port settings 9600 N 8 1 Set amp to Flex Radio CAT mode and adjust power levels for each band. Chapter 18.22 in the manual.
  • baz
    baz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Many Thanks Steve will look forward to that ..thanks for your reply

• baz
    baz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Mark all noted great help
  • baz
    baz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Howard will try to digest
  • baz
    baz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Must admit Phil i'm confused also however theres some helpful stuff i can try ...Many thanks
  • baz
    baz Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Many Thanks
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I know, a lot of it depends whether you use DDUtil or not?

From Monday it looks like there will be another option as well. Direct connection from the Flex 6x00 to 1K-FA CAT port via FTDI USB->Serial adaptor should be possible with the upcoming 1.10 version of SmartSDR!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.