Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MAESTRO / SmartSDR - remote operation over Internet (WAN)

Mek
Mek Member
edited November 2019 in New Ideas

Hello,

Some time ago, we bought FLEX 6500 and console Maestro (OK1DVM, OK1DIG and me - OK1YA).  Because FlexRadio, Maestro, and SmartSDR communicate only via local (LAN) network, we immediately began to create a VPN connection that would be suitable for remote connections over WAN. The result of our efforts and testing is a very small, compact hardware device (comprising the VPN Server and VPN Client), which offers many options for configuration,enabling a reliable,secure connection to the home LAN network and facilitating working remotely over the Internet anywhere in the world. Own public IP address is a condition for work with the VPN server.

The VPN server is usually placed on the same side where FLEXRadio (family 6000) is connected. The server is typically installed on a PC, which is constantly turned on, but from the point of view of the usage, size, and reliability it does not seem to be the best solution. In our case, the VPN server and VPN Client are installed in small boxes (12x10x3cm) with low power consumption - abt. 3W. Some ways of connecting the VPN server into the network may require a small and simple change in setup of the router (for instance, when the VPN server is connected into the local LAN behind the home router). Another option is to implement the home router setup directly into the VPN server.

On the remote side,  the Internet is connected to the WAN port of the VPN Client via a UTP cable or via WiFi (optional). The speed of the Internet connection should be at least 1.5 MB/s. A public IP address is not necessary. Maestro or a laptop with SmartSDR can be connected to the output port of the VPN Client either via UTP cable or via WiFi. You can also connect laptop with some SW into the VPN client, for example, to switch FLEXRadio remotely on/off , to control the rotators etc.

The configuration of the VPN Server and VPN Client can be pre-set in accordance with user requirements.

I currently have a few sets of hardware (VPN Server and VPN Client) at the price of 150 Euro ($165 USD) per set and other hardware for remote work.

If interested, please send me an e-mail to burian@okya.cz

73 Mek, OK1YA

0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm working on something similar (but not for commercial sale, just as a hobby) with two raspberry pis. Seems similar. 
  • Mek
    Mek Member
    edited November 2016
    I thank everyone for  interest in VPN Server and Client. I am very glad that you are enjoying remote work with Flex 6xxx and Maestro / SSDR, as I do.  
            For information, Server and VPN Client uses routerboard Mikrotik (OVPN). Setting parameters to routerboard, to fit specific needs, requires some knowledge, but for those who are Mikrotik familiar settings may be easier. For those who prefer the set and functional device, I can send it.

73! 
    Mek, OK1YA
    burian@okya.cz 

Some pictures:

Maestro with VPN
    Client, are connected to the LAN via stand alone WiFi Station (on the right).  FLEX 6500 and VPN Server is about 70km away in my testing remote side. VPN Server (on the left) is here only for ilustration and it is not connected.   

Schematic:
    *)  For WiFi connection to the LAN, you will need stand alone (optional) WiFi station, connected prior VPN Client. 

Maestro  or/ and PC can be connected to the VPN Client via UTP Cable or WiFi

FLEX Radio and Maestro location can be swapped, but static public IP address must be always on VPN server  side 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.