Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Configuring existing winkeyer port

IW7DMH, Enzo
IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in SmartSDR CAT
imageHello,

I am wondering if I can use a hardware K1EL keyer on a existing Winkeyer port.
I did a try setting up my keyer on COM12 but I had no success.
What is intended for the "Existing" button on winkeyer configuration panel?
Are there any API extensions for Winkeyer emulation?
Thank for your help

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

Edit: do I need a Winkeyer 3 model? Mine is only the previous one (version 2).

Answers

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Enrico,
    I have been using the external WinkeyerUSB both for DXLog and N1MM. And I use the same setting as you show "serial existing" BUT I had to use 1200 baudot. 9600 never did work. I also discovered that N1MM was sensitive to when and in which order the the Smart SDR CAT  in Winkeyer mode was created in respect to when the Windows COM port was created. Usually closing down the SDR CAT and re-started N1MM made everything work. 
    I also used WK3Demo to test that the PC COM port assigned for the Winkeyer really was working and did key the Flex radio. 
    73 Kari SM0HRP
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Enzo, if I need a hardware keyer, I just connect the keyer line to the key port in front of my Flex6k5.
    The internal SmartSDR Winkeyer has now gotten so good, that I don't need my hardware keyer
    anymore. I use either HRD DM780 or CW Type as software. 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hello,

thank a lot for your answers. I am sorry, but I forgot to point out "remotely".
    Next to other software the winkeyer port works properly.
    Last summer I used a Maestro and I know that, in remote mode, it can handle very well a straight key and a physical paddle as well.
    What I would like to have is a remote keyer/vert-key next to SSDR running on my remote PC.
    I suspect this could be a "dedicated" Maestro feature, but a "FlexRadio" version of WKUSB could be a great gadget.
    My idea is pictured below.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2019
    This is not how the WinKeyer emulation works.  When using a CAT Winkeyer port it replaces the Winkeyer hardware, so the 2nd picture will not work.  

For remote operation with SmartSDR for Windows (no Maestro) you have to use CWX to operate CW.  
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2016
    Hi Tim, 
    Do you really mean that if I choose Winkeyer CAT port with serial settings (not FSVP) in Smart SDR CAT the external winkeyer (HW) will not be used or am I misinterpreting you?
    I use this setting with DXLog and trying to use Winkeyer CAt port with virtual Ports I cannot get it to work.
    73 Kari  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes.  If you use a physical port for the WinKeyer emulation, you have to use a serial loopback cable.  This is not necessary when you are connecting to a software program on the same PC as SmartSDR CAT.  That is the whole reason for using virtual serial ports to eliminate a serial hardware loopback.

The only reason to use the Winkeyer emulation in SmartSDR CAT is to eliminate the hardware Winkeyer from your configuration to minimize the number of devices connected to the PC/Radio when the Winkeyer is interface to a third-party app, like N1MM+.

• Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    edited November 2016
    Yes but sometimes the Winkeyer emulation does not work well with the software you are using. Like DXLog I have been trying to get to work :( 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Wait until the next release of SmartSDR.  We have made several major improvements in this area.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thank you very much for all the answers Tim.

Is it reasonable to think that, when your team will be not so busy, will be designed a dedicated physical keyer for remote cw?

Best regards
    Enzo
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    It is something we are definitely thinking about.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.