Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VPN UDP Port problem

iz7auh
iz7auh Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I make a VPN LAN-LAN at home I have a 192.168.1.0 and at office I have 192.168.2.0 VPN work fine if make a ping to Flex radio IP (192.168.1.106) respond with excellent ping under 20ms, but a SmartSDR Windows at office not see my Flex, with Its version not problem, I fixed Flex Ip into setting and work fine how-to resolve on windows?

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Frank, it has to do with the routing of VITA49 packets.  Simple story, is that your VPN connection has to be on the same subnet to function.    Meaning that at your office, you'll have to see a VPN Network connection on 192.168.1.0.  

Mike va3mw

• iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No guys, it's easy! FlexRadio staff must Be update Windows version and maestro too as such as a iOS version for fixed manually a FlexRadio IP.... iOS version on VPN LAN-LAN work finw without change submask net, not possible make a VPN LAN-LAN with same submasknet!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Frank

My Softether connection provides me with an IP address on the same subnet and my VPN connections with either iOS or Windows works fine.

Here is what my laptop at work looks like connected to my VPN at my remote base which is on 192.168.1.0.

C:Usersxxx>ipconfig
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter VPN - Softether:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.148
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.****.****.****
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.****.****.****

Mike va3mw
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes I know this solution I used it a long time but the VON is on software emulation my solution is hardware I using two devise Fritzbox with hardware VPN LAN-LAN only one solution is a possibility to fixed on SmartSDR windows and Maestro FlexRadio' s IP Waiting it from FRS HQ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Native WAN capability will be available in SmartSDR v2.0
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    and when might that be?   

:-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    When it is done.
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    ETA?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    When it is done.  We will start working on it after SmartSDR v1.10
  • iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great news! I hope for end 2016... :-)
  • Frank, HB9FXQ
    Frank, HB9FXQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tim, here is my personal opinion: 

@Frank "All we can do is Sit And Wait All we can do is just.... ....or work-around" :-)

The architecture to enforce connecting to the radio by UDP broadcast based discovery provides only very very weak security. With that IOs client its completely invalid to say this is a security feature anymore. People can put the radio into the DMZ, or forward x ports etc etc. Better warn then not to do so, when informing in the forums which port numbers have to be forwarded to make the IOs thing work from LTE...

Now many users understand that exposing the radio to the internet by simple port forwarding is a dump idea. That's not good, since the so called script kiddies would find a way to abuse the radio without any discovery info ;) That's why we all build VPNs. Bridged VPNs are fine in single user scenarios, but for site-to-site with more than two sites (networks) a bridge is not always the desired way. IPv6 starts to appear everywhere. Look what happens, when a network peer starts to send IPv6 RA packages around your bridged network! That was happening in our bridged setup. Found no way to firewall IPv6 RA & NDS traffic on the bridges 100%. IPv6 spec seem to have some vendor specific workarounds as well...   

I share an official registered remote station with other OMs, and bridging was giving me so much admin work, firewall etc, that I've had to move to routing, separate subnets - and build my own workaround:  https://github.com/krippendorf/flex6k-discovery-util

I am already busy writing a very lightweight, C based version, to run it directly on our small PfSense hardware appliances.

But when I look at the FRS .NET API code, the Radio object constructor (https://github.com/krippendorf/FlexlibMono/blob/master/src/FlexLib/Radio.cs#L643) would be perfectly fine. I'd estimate it would't be too much effort for FRS to integrate it into Maesto and SmartSDR for windows! Maybe it is, don't know. Waiting really makes me a bit sad now, since it generates so much work here, to make it work with workarounds. And  technically it does work perfectly fine! And we're not talking about a 20 $ plastic router, we're talking about high price segment radios! 

Seeing other customers ending up in similar situations and FRS always talks about a fully WAN-ready solution makes me think, we're talking about two completely different things now. Not all your customers really need any authentication layer, NOR encryption, and I'd beg my open source based VPN solutions will be more secure on a longer term than any proprietary built-in thing I have no control of. Who is responsible if my WAN radio gets involved DDOS attacks, because it included a zero day exploit in a authentication routine? I'm sure my ISP would care and disconnect my line. And then? Wait for FRS to patch it?  Not an easy situation, so I want to stick with my own VPN and keep things under my control, as good as possible. 

So please don't talk about native WAN, when everybody talking about VPN. Technically I see it as it is a LAN, routed! 

Please don't make us wait for an authentication layer integrated. My wishlist for the soon future is: 

- Add a menu entry to enter manually defined radio endpoints to the radio list. Make DAX / CAT to look in the filters.txt file for some kind of known-devices list
    - On Maestro and SmartSDR for Windows: Only allow to enter radio IP addresses that are reserved for private networks per RFC 1918 (10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16) No DNS.
    Regex like  ;) "(^10.)|(^172.1[6-9].)|(^172.2[0-9].)|^172.3[0-1].)| (^192.168.)|(^[a-zA-Z0-9-.]+.(hb9fxq.ch)$)"

- Keep manually entered radios in the list for simple re-connection after reboot / restart etc. 

- Allow non-private networks with v2.0 WAN included SmartSDR

end of my wishlist

73 & If you read this, thanks for reading 
    Frank

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You're welcome.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.