Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

While tuning, hitting CW key will drop transmitter but radio stays at tune power

Robert Cheek
Robert Cheek Member
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I got the rig in an odd mode the other day.  I was in CW mode but only had a few watts output no matter where I put the RF Power slider.  I discovered the Tune Pwr slider would control the power.  Then I noticed the Tune button was still blue.  Well, today I discovered how I got into that mode.  I was in CW mode, clicked the Tune button to tune up the external antenna tuner and I bumped the paddle and the TX dropped.  The rig would transmit but at Tune Pwr setting. The Tune button stays blue.  I clicked the Tune button and all went back to normal. 

Is this normal operation?  I could not find this "feature" in the SW users manual   I am using 1.9.7 version of SmartSDR. 

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hello Robert.

I observed this 'feature' some time back and didn't report as it seemed not so important a 'use case'.  Reverified  this and it can be duplicated with Maestro as the control, in which case the tune LED stays red. 

I'd say "best practice' is not to hit the bug when tuning (assuming one uses a bug for CW).

Best,
    Tim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    It is not normal operation.  This behavior has been entered into our bug tracker as issue #4166.
  • Robert Cheek
    Robert Cheek Member
    edited November 2016
    The first time I saw this I think that I hit the keyer paddle by accident and didn't notice until I saw the power output was 5 watts.  It was a bit confusing because I was calling a cw net and really needed full power!

Most of the electronic keyers I have that have a "tune" mode will drop the key line when the paddle is tapped.  It would be nice if the Flex did the same thing.  But I can't see where dropping the TX and staying in tune mode would be normal.
  • Robert Cheek
    Robert Cheek Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Tim.  Not a big thing, but a surprise if you are not expecting it!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.