Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgraded Maestro and 6300 to 1.9.13, poor (1 red bar) connectivity using Ethernet and 3 yellow on Wi

KC9NRN
KC9NRN Member
edited October 2019 in Maestro

Well, upgraded to 1.9.13 and the Maestro is back to poor connectivity, it's better this time on WiFi than Ethernet. For Ethernet I get consistent 1 red bar, doesn't fluctuate,1800 dropped packets out of 6400. For WiFi it cycles between 3 yellow and full green.

I feel better off using my iPad or computer since the Maestro is so inconsistent. I can sit at the fringe of my wireless range and have zero issues. I did the usual tests to remove the network being the issue, as usual latency is excellent on both wired and wireless, the only device having issues is the Maestro. I took it upstairs and it doesn't even see the wireless network while my laptop and iPad get 95% signal and connect to the radio with zero issues and full green.

I remote controlled a PC from work, VPN to my house and running SmartSDR with a near full green signal, that works better than the Maestro right now.

I'm disconnecting power and I guess when I get back I'll revert to a previous version and try that. I did a few Maestro reboots hoping the same thing would happen this time that happened last time where it would do another update but nada.

I'll open a ticket when I get back into town on Sunday.

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If you ignore the bar graphs, is it operating normally?

I have been using mine remotely as a Net Operator for the Hurricane Watch net  all week.  The best I have ever seen was 3 yellow bars and my HF station is 100 miles away.

Don't get hung up on the bars as they are not are perfect representation of the network quality.  

I know we like to measure things but I would only worry about this if you get audio drop out and you didn't mention if you could even tell or not.

Mike va3mw
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

1800 dropped packets out of 6400 is pretty bad and causes severe audio drop outs and affects the waterfall as well. I could care less if there were zero bars if it doesn't bother operation and as I posted operation from any other device, even using VPN works perfectly.

I'm on an AT&T MiFi right now using VPN and it's working fine, the problem is with the Maestro, with the last two versions seems to adversely affect how it connects via Ethernet or Wireless.

I'm sick of troubleshooting the Maestro after updating the software.

• Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Are you or anyone else in the house streaming video. I have noticed I can get drops when I am streaming Netflix. When I stop the drops stop Just a thought Mike N9DFD
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

The issue crops up after the last two software updates. No other devices are even on let alone streaming, again, this is right after upgrading its software. However addressing your point in particular, my wife could be watching HDX movies on VUDU (higher bandwidth requirement than streaming HD), I could be streaming HD in fact I have had every device possible streaming both on Ethernet and Wireless and the Maestro has zero issues running the radio with no dropouts or latency issues.

I know people want to post about network issues, this is NOT a network issue. If it was then other devices like my iPad or laptop would see latency issues and dropped packets as well and they work perfectly. I also have a very clean wireless signal, very little surrounding networks and none on the same channel(s).

Right now I'm on a MiFi using my laptop via VPN and getting consistent 3 yellow bars to green signal and I'm having no issue, waterfall is fine, audio is fine (drop out here and there which is normal considering the location we are at.

The last time the radio re-ran the setup program for 1.9.9 and apparently fixed itself, this time it boots straight to the radio. We'll see what happens Sunday night when I get home.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2019

I waited until last night to plug the Maestro in and see what happens. I'm gone a few days and when I return the radio re-tries the upgrade and it seemed to be fine as of last night for the short time I used it.

I do have to say, for a premium cost product, the Maestro is not impressive when performing after upgrades. I understand many seem to have no issues, but I can only go by how it works for me and I seem to be going backwards, now I have to tap connect multiple times, same with run and then the unit has to sort itself out, it's getting old fast.

I prefer to use the iPad because it just works, same with the laptop and desktop and VPN, never any strange networking issues that plague the Maestro which seems **** bent to have issues after an upgrade.

This is an area for major improvement, enough people complain about the networking in the Maestro and I know the response is it's probably the people not the Maestro but when everything else is running smoothly and the Maestro is acting like it's attached to a hose with a kink in it, it's time to look at the device having the issues and asking why and then fixing it.

If there is some kind of logger for the next upgrade I can run to help figure out why mine behaves so badly after an upgrade I'd be glad to give it a try.

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Hi

While it seems that the entire world is seeing your same issues, this is not really true. It is a very limited number and since we (the customer) do not know how may Maestro's are sold, we can't really quote a valid metric. However, moving on.....

Is this for wired or wireless - sorry, I can't remember?

If wired, can you physically look at your LAN cables. One of the Alpha team members noticed a serious performance issue similar to yours and found out that there were 2 parts to the problem. While it worked, it didn't work well.

These were consumer manufactured cables.

The main issue was the LAN cable was not wired correctly.

Quoting Steve N5AC (VP Engineering)

Just so everyone is aware, the proper wiring on a Ethernet cable is

OW, O, GW, BL, BLW, G, BRW, BR.
    If you do it as folks who don't know what they are doing do it:

OW, O, GW, G, BLW, BL, BRW, BR you get 100% good DC electrical connectivity.

BUT you have shared two twisted pairs wires with the other pair breaking the transmission line. This is a little like someone using the center conductor of one coax for the shield of another and vice versa and wondering why they are not getting a 50-ohm cable. I have no clue why people (companies) still do this, but it breaks high-speed Ethernet badly. I'm frankly surprised there was no more loss.

(end quote)

Wireless performance has been addressed many times on this forum.

Some routers (mostly newer) are worse than some of the older ones. As discussed my 8 year old LInksys one is rock solid on the Maestro on both 2.4 and 5Ghz running DD-WRT, while a new top of the line Linksys failed hugely. i took it back. I bought and returned over 6 wifi routers.

Lately I have been using TP-LInk devices and they have been very good (AC1750 Archer C7). So much so, I replaced all my others with it and any new customer work I used this one. I also have stopped deploying anything in 2.4Ghz. Period. Just too much noise.

Mike va3mw
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

I don't want to come off as rude but my guess is people aren't reading what I post or my responses to others so they write a post asking similar questions you ask here instead of checking what I wrote, which would save some time. Again, not trying to be mean or rude.

The only time I have issues with the Maestro are after a software upgrade, specifically the last two software upgrades. The issue is on Wireless and Ethernet both acting like there is severe packet loss and bad connectivity when in fact there is not. I have a Server and Desktop that can copy data to each other with <1ms latency at 245 MBps not megabits, Megabytes per second over sustained time. Over the Wireless devices get on average around 1ms with peaks at around 3ms. I do the upgrade using Ethernet, every device is at <1ms so not sure why suddenly after upgrading the Maestro has poor connectivity, makes zero sense.

To make Flex happy I have done all of the tests a person can do on a wired and wireless network (I work on networks for a living) with the last thing being unplugging the Maestro, removing the battery and letting it sit for a few days. No other device suffers from connectivity issues and most use much more bandwidth than the Maestro is capable of and they are off during these upgrades.

On power up after sitting for a few days the Maestro seems to want to reapply the upgrade which it does near instantly and then it seems fine after that (aside from having to tap connect or run multiple times). Not a thing has been done to the network, no new devices, no old devices behaving badly, nobody gulping down 10 HD streams and or ISO's, or high bitrate music, nothing.

My question is still, why some Maestro's (or maybe just mine) for the last two upgrades has been horrible about connectivity right after??

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    HI NordicPC ... do you have a real name I can call you? :) My apologies of course for not fully reading your post (or all the details in all the posts). My bad. Have you opened a case yet then? Mike va3mw
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Mike,

I changed my profile to show my call. I haven't opened a case yet. I have one opened from the previous upgrade. I'm going to call them today to discuss, maybe they have something that can log the upgrade or heck, what would be nice is if a person has the technical ability gives us access to a web portal from the Maestro so I can look at events via my PC. I'll ask if that's in the future.

Have a good one Mike.

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    No worries. We are all just trying to help out where we can and collaborate notes. Anything we can do to narrow it down helps out. 73
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I recommend not calling; enter a HelpDesk ticket.  Get in the support queue. We are experiencing higher than normal support loads and we may not be able to take or return your call in a timely manner since HelpDesk tickets take priority.  We answer all support issues in FIFO order so HelpDesk tickets already in the queue take priority over in-bound phone calls.  This is the only fair way to do it since people who have previously entered HD tickets are ahead of people in the queue who call in for a new issue.
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Relative to using Maestro with Flex-6700, I've had to change to "direct"-wired internet connection and connectivity is great with no missed packets.  However, "wifi" connectivity was also great with never a missed packet before update 1.9.7.  I've changed nothing in my network setup and wifi connectivity now is terrible with huge number of missed packets.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Will do.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Thank you very much
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

@KC9NRN - V Glad you have opened a Help Ticket - for what it is worth you could be four-five days ahead in the queue if you went to the source right away.

It is always hard to tell when to cut to the chase and start a Help Ticket, so wouldn't every want to second guess anyone else's decision making, but personally I am so impressed with the FRS direct help that I tend to start one pretty quickly.

It is also always nice to hear about the successful solution, especially if there are any pointers or even decision-points that were learned in the process.

GL and hope your Maestro is humming well and quickly!

Steve

K9ZW

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Steve,

Agreed, however the Maestro now that it has applied the upgrade a 2nd time is working perfectly so opening a ticket may be moot. I'm opening one anyway. :)

I am very happy with my purchase and admit to getting angry before I probably should. I'm listening to the Maestro right now on 80m and it's working great.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Dewey, try unplugging the Maestro and leaving it a few days with no power or battery and see what happens. mine seems to re-run the upgrade and it's fine after that.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    If that doesn't work let me know.
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    It's be next week before I can do that, but I will give it a try and report back.  Thanks Erik for suggestion!
  • tartanlatte
    tartanlatte Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Has there been any updates on this issue or a verified fix?. I tried wired Ethernet for the first time yesterday since I wanted to use the Maestro in the WW context this weekend as a front end to the radio and I was just going through a netgear switch without anything else plugged in WiFi is marginal in the shack.

I get consistent Red bar and in fact a couple of times mid QSO the connection dropped on me.

I ended up going back to using the PC. I'm using 1.9.13

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    If 1.9.13 is not working well for you, why not roll back to the version that was. Also, not sure you saw the comments regarding good vs. bad ethernet cables. What model of Netgear switch are you using? If it 1G, can you try a 100mbs switch at all? CQWW is not this weekend though! :) Mike va3mw
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Erik, I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work.  I also tried to run the Maestro internal battery down (several days of multiple run-down attempts per day).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.