Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone have recommendations for a Antenna rotor Interface?

LarryF
LarryF Member ✭✭
I was researching antenna rotor interfaces and have found several of them pricing from $100 to several hundred.  I am open to all recommendations.  Just don't want to purchase one that is going to give me trouble down the road (or coax).  I am using Yaesu 2800DXA at this time and need to interface with logging and Flex 6.5k.  May change Rotor at a later time.  Thank you all in advance.

Larry ke2yc

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have a Yaesu G800DXA  (note the suffix DXA, which is different from the S or SDX)
    It has a built-in 6-pin DIN jack already wired.

For this rotor, I purchased the ERC-Mini DX  (Easy Rotor Control)  from http://easy-rotor-control.com/     (There is also a ERC-Mini SDX for the 800SDX rotator, and other models for different rotators, too.)

The ERC-Mini DX was pre-assembled in a metal box, and has a USB port on one end of the box and a 6-pin DIN on the other, cable included.  Just "plug-and-chug!"

It has its own driver and controller software, but after configuring it with the ERC utility, I usually just let PstRotor control it.  another excellent program!

Total cost of the ERC-Mini last year was 99EUR,  about $106 (US) after the exchange rate from Deutschmarks.  PstRotor was about $36.

Now I can control it from many different logging programs, and even remotely with PstRotor's TCP Server or web server.  It makes remote operation a cinch!

I wouldn't be without them.

Ken - NM9P
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Long user of ERC here.  have had great luck at K6LRG, one of the earliest remote hilltops on the air.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I use a Green Heron controller on my Yaesu rotator. It is a great controller with lots of features not available on the Yaesu controller. I alsot has a USB interface and an optional wifi interface. Using the wifi interface you can access your rotor via a web page for remote operation.

http://www.greenheronengineering.com

Jon...kf2e
  • Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Larry,

I use a MDS RC-1 antenna controller for my Yaesu 2800.  It is a poor man's Green Heron, about half the cost.  I control it from the PST Rotator AZ software program.

Good luck...   Bill K3WA
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Another vote for the ERC.  It interfaced beautifully with my 800DXA and HRD Rotator/HRD Log/
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    look this one work great but have bit of solder to do 

https://remoteqth.com/single-rotator-interface.php
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thank you all for the info. will research and make up my mind.  Thank you all again

Larry, ke2yc
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've been using a "Easy Rotor Control"  ERC V4 USB Rotor Control mounted in a YAESU G-450A.  It works great without any issues.   It interfaces well with HRD Rotator/HRD Logbook. 

Cal/N3CAL

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I use EA4TX one. http://ea4tx.com/ars-usb/
    I like how easy it is to control remotely.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I have a Yaesu G2800DXA rotor and a Yaesu GS-232B rotor interface

it works perfectly via DDUTIL and all versions of SmartSDR and all software I have every tried

That said, I would definitely NOT recommend the Yaesu GS-232B interface mainly because

@ $569 it is ridiculously overpriced for just being a digital interface to the analog controller.

If I had to do it again I probably would buy the Green Heron and get rid of the analog controller entirely.

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Only one good thing about the Yaesu GS-232B is it is for Satellite El/Az tracking which is way overkill for HF operators needs
    Have both, GS-232B and a Green Heron Unit.
    GS-232B for El/Az and Green Heron RT-21D for Az HF work.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, Rick....It is hard to get any simpler than the ERC-Mini DX for the G800DXA...Plug in two cables, run the setup program, and go!  Love it!  and it is only about $106...  (99,00 EUR)

I have been running it with PstRotator AZ for about a year and I hardly ever even TOUCH the Yaesu controller box...except to unplug the cable and shut it off at the end of the day.  

Ken - NM9P
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I use a GHE RT-21 to turn a prosistel PST71D. Probably overkill for your needs but it's a data point. But oh so many features. Ramp up/down, PWM and lots of protection. After ripping cables off the tower and nearly ruining a $2500 rotor with the stock controller I learned my lesson!
  • ole puschl
    ole puschl Member
    edited August 2019
    Hi Larry

Have a look at this: https://blog.radioartisan.com/yaesu-rotator-computer-serial-interface/

you can easily build a controller yourself. It is great fun and you can save a lot of money too !
    I cost me about 50 dollar.

It works beautifully together with my yaesu G 1000 dxc rotor and my log-program: HamRadio DeLuxe 

vy 73 de
    Ole / OZ1OP

imageimage
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Ole,

I was looking at that and hit a road block in finding most of the info and cost of boards.  I have the Arduino and all components can be had for very low cost.  The display im lost on where to get.  Also the enclosure can be had for very little.

Nice looking unit and great job. 

Larry, ke2yc
  • ole puschl
    ole puschl Member
    edited October 2016
    HI Larry,

You can find the display on e-bay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-204-20x4-Character-LCD-Display-Module-HD44780-Controller-Blue-Blackligh...

The bord is just a DIY prototype bord: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-DIY-Soldering-Prototype-Copper-PCB-Printed-Circuit-Board-70mm-x-90mm-/1...

I forgot to say it also works fine together with N1MM
    So Just go for it, Larry

Ole, OZ1OP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.