Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

MAESTRO WI FI PORTABLE

Kent Hufford
Kent Hufford Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Maestro

I need wi fi out of my FLEX 6500 when standalone… a router?  

With the 6500 in the shack I have a rj45 cable connected to my wifi router. The Maestro can see this fine. However, if I take the 6500 and the Maestro somewhere else. I can connect the 6500 to the Maestro via a real RJ45 cable. 

But, I want to connect the 6500 via wifi to the Maestro.  What kind of wifi router? Can I use?    Cannot setup a regular wifi router with only a 6500, and don’t want to drag a PC with it.

Somewhere I thought I saw some neat device to do this, LIKE BELOW? 

TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi Mini Router, Range Extender, Access Point, Client Modes (TL-WR810N)
by TP-LINK 

Answers

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Kent -

Do you need to use a WiFi router with no computer at all?  It can be done, but you will need to configure the router with a PC, at least at first. You will have to set up the WiFi name ("SSID") and password, at a minimum.  After it's set up, you should not need the PC again.  Most any WiFi router should work (but some are better than others - read https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/208726766-WiFi-Requirements-and-Performance-with-Ma...)  The 6500 does not know how to work with a WiFi adapter, so you have to use a wired Ethernet link to the router.  The router will talk to the Maestro over WiFi.

The thing is, to use a WiFi connection, you need to establish an actual network, though you don't have to have Internet access. This normally involves a router, and routers do require some configuration with a PC.

It would be helpful if the Flex 6x00 supported a USB or Ethernet WiFi dongle, peer to peer with Maestro.  As we say, "it's only software." 

73 Martin AA6E
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    One possible option to a PC for configuration is your Android or Apple cell phone. I was able to configure my R7000 after downloading an application to my Nexus and then connecting with WPS. From there, I pretty much could configure it any way I like.

The advantage here is that you can operate without a computer and, if a reconfiguration or tweak is required, you can do it with your phone.

In my case the application is called NETGEAR Genie. Other vendors may have their own app.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    These days a smartphone pretty much is a PC.   There is an Android app for the Asus router that I use - an RT-N66U.  (That works well with my Flex gear.)  The point is you do need a smart device to set things up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.