Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem with SmartSDR for iOS after upgrading to iOS 10.0.2

Gary, KE8O
Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
I upgraded my AIR2 w/128GB to iOS 10.0.2. this morning. At first everything seemed to be fine until I turned on my Logitech H800 headset. As soon as the H800 connected to the IPAD bluetooth the receive audio started to get choppy sounding in StartSDR iOS. I turned off the H800 and fired up SmartSDR iOS using the IPAD built-in speakers and the receive audio was normal again. Stumped I decided to try one of those bluetooth speaker cubes I use if I just want to listen and not operate and again as soon as the speaker cube connected the receive audio was choppy. I tried doing a power cycle of the IPAD by holding the home and power button at the same time but after the IPAD rebooted as soon as I tried either bluetooth device the audio in SmartSDR iOS was choppy. I also tried with WIFI off using cellular data with the same results. I then tried listening to music and watching video's with the H800 connected and the audio from these programs was normal.  Trying to work past this problem I decided to remove SmartSDR for iOS and re-install it on my IPAD. Boy was that a mistake on my part. After re-installing SmartSDR for iOS it no longer is finding the Flex on the network. I even went into setup and told it to display the demo and that isn't working either. I sure broke it good now !

It's amazing with can happen in 24 hrs. This was me operating remote on Saturday morning.image

Help !!!

Comments

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Gary,

I know this is basic but have you power cycled everything?

Today I lost my speaker audio on the iphone.  I messed around with settings for 30 minutes.  Finally turned the rig and the phone off amd back on and all is well now.

Harold
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am having the same problem after the update this morning.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I tried to reproduce these issues but can't.

I setup exactly the same config (took out and installed one of the iPad Air 2 128GB devices with iOS 10.0.2 and the Logitech BT Headset). All works just fine, it finds the radio and sound is no choppy.

Gary, you wrote " I also tried with WIFI off using cellular" but my App is not supporting Cellular. Are you using a VPN ? If so, please try again without VPN (local WiFi in order to see if the VPN is causing your problems).

Also, please power cycle your radio and check again if you can connect.

@Dennis: Which "same problem" do you have?

vy 73,
    Marcus

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Marcus,

I had the choppy BT audio with the gold master IOS 10 software loaded on my iPhone 6 Plus using a Plantronics Voyager Legend BT earpiece. Using the Bose QC20 earbuds plugged directly in worked perfectly.

I traded in the 6 Plus for a 7 Plus but haven't reloaded SSDR for IOS yet. Once I do I will test with the 7 Plus.

Dave wo2x

• Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Marcus,

I should have clarified that I use a VPN when connecting using  cellular data.  The problem with SmartSDR iOS not finding the radio only started after I removed and re-installed SmartSDR on my IPAD after upgrading to iOS 10.0.2.  I did try power cycling my 6300 just now and even removed power to the radio for a few minutes. SmartSDR on my IPAD is still not finding the radio, however, the windows client connects fine, and I tried connecting using my wife's IPAD (She's a ham too, N8YS) and it finds the radio without a problem. I then paired my H800 to her IPAD and as soon as the headset connects to the IPAD the receive audio is choppy, but normal when using the built-in IPAD speaker.

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the clarification Gary,

if one iPad in your home network finds the radio, the other should find it too once you have the same network settings.

Can you please ensure that your VPN is turned off and you are connected the same way as you do on the other iPad which works.

For instance, tap on iPad Settings -> WiFi and check if the SSID is the same compared t your XYL's iPad, then tap on the (i) Icon and see if IP Address etc. is also the same.

Next, start SmartSDR for iOS, please check if there is a data update (go to settings, scroll down and tap on Check for Data update.

Next, still in settings of SmartSDR, compare the first four settings (from Connection mode to Disconnect on close) with the settings on the other Device of your XYL.

I trust, something will be different. Please be assured that my App just runs fine with iOS 10.0.2.

vy 73,
    Marcus
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    On my 7 Plus I haven't had any problems. Choppy audio issues are gone except in low bandwidth situations. The app also doesn't seem to "struggle" as much as it did. I have used Bluetooth in two vehicles and a Tzumi BT adapter and it works fine. 
  • Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Marcus,

I have compared the settings between the two IPADs and they are identical. On my IPAD that does not find the radio the demo mode in SmartSDR doesn't  work either. I have tried removing and reinstalling the application several times with no change.  It almost seems like the iOS 10.0.2 on my IPAD did not install properly. As I have noticed a couple of differences. 1) To remove SmartSDR from my IPAD if you press and hold the ICON it will start to wiggle, but pressing the X does nothing -- the same applies to other programs.  In order to remove a program since upgrading  I must go to settings -> general -> storage & ICloud usage -> Manage storage -> then click on the application to be removed.  2) When the bluetooh is connected when you adjust the volume on mine I'm not seeing the on-screen display when you raise / lower the volume. However, it displays properly on my wife's IPAD.  I've only had this IPAD for a couple of months and I've never connected it to a computer to back anything up.  I wonder if I should just reset the IPAD and start over.  I'd love to go back to iOS 9 or some how force a new install of iOS 10.0.2 but that's probably not an option at this point in time.  Open to suggestions.

...Gary

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited October 2016
    According to what you wrote, there might be something terribly wrong with your device.

Such things might happen, if parts of the installation has been restored (either from iTunes or via iCloud) and when this restore for some reason got corrupted (e.g. because download (or even upload of the update) was interrupted.

You can do a complete reset (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset all settings) but then, you will lose everything.

You will not lose any purchases but will need to setup everything again (e.g. Email accounts etc.)

So I am not sure if I can recommend this but maybe you want to talk to Apple to see if they have an additional idea for you.

Sorry that I don't have any better option for you.

vy 73,
    Marcus

• Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hi Marcus,

I have compared the settings between the two IPADs and they are identical. On my IPAD that does not find the radio the demo mode in SmartSDR doesn't  work either. I have tried removing and reinstalling the application several times with no change.  It almost seems like the iOS 10.0.2 on my IPAD did not install properly. As I have noticed a couple of differences. 1) To remove SmartSDR from my IPAD if you press and hold the ICON it will start to wiggle, but pressing the X does nothing -- the same applies to other programs.  In order to remove a program since upgrading  I must go to settings -> general -> storage & ICloud usage -> Manage storage -> then click on the application to be removed.  2) When the bluetooh is connected when you adjust the volume on mine I'm not seeing the on-screen display when you raise / lower the volume. However, it displays properly on my wife's IPAD.  I've only had this IPAD for a couple of months and I've never connected it to a computer to back anything up.  I wonder if I should just reset the IPAD and start over.  I'd love to go back to iOS 9 or some how force a new install of iOS 10.0.2 but that's probably not an option at this point in time.  Open to suggestions.

...Gary
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If I can add some insight to the problem with the 10.0.2 iOS update. Many iPad users are reporting problems with Bluetooth audio and connections. I have a iPad 4 and it works fine with Smartsdr for iOS until I try to use a BT device. The audio becomes distorted or choppy. Tried all the fixes recommended by many apple users and services. To include a full system reset . Many in the forums comment state that people that have older iPhones or iPads will have to wait for an update to get this fixed. Also many of the car manufacturers are now notifying owners and dealers of the problem and there is no fix at this time . I guess all of us with older apples will need to wait for a fix .
  • Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Update: Last night a did a total reset on my IPAD resetting all settings and user data.  I then set it up as a new IPAD with my Apple ID. After performing this reset SmartSDR is now finding the radio again so that problem is solved.  So I'm back to just having the choppy audio whenever I connect any of my Bluetooth devices when using  SmartSDR which did not occur prior to the iOS update.

Can anyone recommend a good "wired" headset ? I'm not able to use  ear buds since I wear hearing aids.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions .
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited October 2016
    Gary,

I was able to reproduce the choppy audio issue on another device (thanks God I have quite a few).

The strange thing is, that I can't reproduce the issue on a same device you are using.

As Dennis already mentioned (Thanks Dennis!) there seems to be a general issue with iOS 10.0.2 and Bluetooth.

As I was able to reproduce the issue, I was also able to play around with different Audio settings an finally found a workaround.

I will have to bring out an App update for this. I wanted to add some more features for the next update but this fix (along with some other things I already implemented) might be worth to send this update to Apple soon.

So before buying another Headset, maybe you can wait for the next release.

vy 73,
    Marcus

• K0UNX
    K0UNX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I'm not having choppy audio at all using THIS BT headset:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MP582/beats-solo3-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black?fnode=42

I just had an hour-long QSO with W7HB on 3.770 with excellent audio both ways.  Running a 9.7 inch iPad Pro with the latest iOS and this headset.

Note that this headset is a BT CLASS 1 headset that has Apple's new W1 CHIP in it.  This chip is AMAZING!  Not only does it give 40 hours on a charge, but I ran a field test for RANGE and with my iPhone mounted on a tripod at five feet, I was able to WALK EIGHT HUNDRED FEET AWAY FROM THE iPHONE and maintain contact.  At 400 feet, the audio started getting dropouts if I turned my head so that the LEFT ear cup was shielded BY MY HEAD.  At 800 feet, I had to keep the left earcup pointed towards the iPhone, but as long as the left earcup and iPhone could see each other, the audio was perfect.

Jim
    K0UNX
    Littleton, Colorado
  • Gary, KE8O
    Gary, KE8O Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks again everyone and Marcus for your input. Since I  really only use my IPAD for SmartSDR iOS I took a brute force approach and performed a fresh restore of iOS 9.3.5 using IPWS file.  I'm back in business now with the H800 headset and normal audio. I have to admit I have learned much more then I wanted to know in the past 48hrs about IPAD's and iOS. I was also please to learn you can perform a fresh iOS install using ITunes and how to put an IPAD into recovery mode.

Here is the article I found that explains how to restore back to iOS 9.3.5.

Marcus you have written an incredible program, and your product support is outstanding.  SmartSDR iOS has opened a new dimension for me and ham radio !
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    You can sometimes downgrade. I wouldn't depend on it. This is the first time I've heard of it in the wild without saving shsh blobs. Apple likes everyone to upgrade and stay upgraded. 

So you got lucky this time. Hopefully Marcus submits the fix soon and you'll be back in business on iOS10. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.