Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

network signal strength poor on receive 1.9.9.170

Bill W2PKY
Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
On receive the network signal strength meter registers 1 red bar to 2 white bars. Latency is < 1ms. This is a direct connection from the radio to my I7 tower computer.
On transmit all bars are green. Never saw this before. Radio is working fine.
Rebooted SSDR, did not help. Powered off the radio and power supply and restarted the radio, did not help either.
Anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    So, other than the bars, it is working fine? It is likely a bug in the bar graph. Va3mw
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Do you have any power management features turned on on the network card? That's pretty much what I would be looking for.
  • Roy Stiegler
    Roy Stiegler Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have a 6500 connected thru Netgear switch to the computer (ala instructions from Flex) and also to the internet.

I see all green sometimes, sometimes it falls back momentarily to no connect, or runs
    a red bar.  Network status varies from excellent, to poor to no connection as noted.  What network are they talking about?

Maybe something to do with internet connectivity, so I disconnected the internet line.  Same.

Data flow through the switch seems steady, latency is less than 1ms all the time, and it shows no
    packets dropped.  

The 6500 never falters, so I just ignore the graph.

Roy W5TCX
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Are you using any other apps like the CMD Micro DJ controller, or other things? It sometimes duplicates the UDP packets and makes the Network Health to go red and indicate dropped packets (but doesn't actually affect operation).

Are you seeing dropped packets in the Network Health details?
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Found the problem: The receive buffers were set too low. Must be a default in Win 10 Pro install. Bumped the buffers up to 2048 and the Network signal strength is back up to 5 green bars.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm a network dummy. Where do you change the receive buffers setting??
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Windows 10 Home Edition:

Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center->Change Adapter Settings
    Right click on your LAN adapter->Properties
    Click "Configure" (the button on the right)
    Click "Advanced" (a tab).

In the list are many settings.
    Receive Buffers
    Transmit Buffers
    and lots of others in alphabetical order and the list varies by NIC type/manufacturer.

It's probably a good idea to write down the old values before changing anything.

Danny

P.S. The default in Windows 10 Home Edition is 512 and I have no problems.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine was 256 which seems to be a problem.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Mine has been running solid set to 2048

Cal/N3CAL
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Is there an increase in Latency if the RX buffers are increased? Bigger buffers are not always the answer when dealing with streaming UDP traffic as there is a risk of buffer bloat. I am not sure if that is the case here or not, but I thought I would mention it. Mike va3mw
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Interesting Observations Some of the faster routers have issues with Maestro Increasing buffer size seems to cure the issue Speculating that the higher speeds may be causing buffer overruns which larger buffers fix
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I'm not sure if I can explain this well, but if you get a buffer overrun, the receiving station is to message back the sender and say 'slow down'. If we have bigger buffers that doesn't happen, however in live streaming, the result is you may get more packets out of order (or something like that). Bigger buffers do break speed throttling. The Jitter gets worse and we start to get black lines on the waterfall. More on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat Mike va3mw
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Perhaps FRS lab can provide some guidance on the best buffer size? The wiki talks about 32 megs as an over ****. But 2K is probably not an issue.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    There are too many variables in play to make a definitive statement for using a specific number of buffers.  I suspect that the best thing to do is if you are having a problem, increase them until you start having the same or a new problem and then back them off a bit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.