Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone buy a Flex 6300 from the Flex Trade in Program? Good deal?

wr3y
wr3y Member
I am going to buy a 6300 and I was wondering if anyone could share their experience about purchasing a used certified 6300 directly from Flex. They take $200 the price of a new one, but is the shorter warranty period worth that in your opinion?

Answers

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I don't think you'll use much of the warranty on the 6300 - I didn't.  On previous Flex radios, I found their out of warranty service to be great.  It was reasonably price and the turnaround was fantastic.    So, if you're looking to save a couple Franklins, I think there's very little risk in a used 6300.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yes. The radio is an exceptionally fine bit of kit, and almost problem free. You very seldom hear about issues. Any issues you are likely to have would be apparent quickly, but the previous owner did all the burn-in for you 8^)

I would personally suggest using a Windows 7 computer with it until Microsoft get's their act together with Windows 10. Having used both, my Windows 10 computer ended up being a problem, while I have had no problems at all with my W7 install and the Flex. 

Go for it!
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Traded my 6500 in on their program for a new 6700 
    Worked out great !
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I bought one before the program was official last year and still have the radio. Works great.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just bought one.  The unit looks brand new.  As far as the warranty goes I look at it this way:

If you are careful with your radio then it will last a life time excepting component failures which are much more likely in the first heavy period of use.

Anyway my experience also has been that FRS is very reasonable on repairs.

I don't know how to quantify what you are asking except that in my case the $200 made it work for me.

Mark - WS7M
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

I've had a 3000, 5000, and 6500 remoting, keep them on 24/7 never had a problem other than my lack of ability to read.

Jim, K6QE

• Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I purchased my first 6300 at Dayton a little over a year ago, I liked it after the learning curve. When they came out with the Trade in program I purchased a used one of their trade in for my cabin. (I had a IC-756 Pro III at the cabin) but after getting used to the Flex I just wanted one for the cabin also.

To tell you the truth I could not tell one from the other, it was perfect, just like the new one. Its been many months now and I am still happy with it.  I have been blessed that I have never had to return either one of the Flex rigs I have. I do know of a bad experience a friend had with a Flex 3000. They kept sending it to him with the same problem it had when he returned it to them. It never was fixed. To say the least he is not happy. He knows its not the computer because he has 2 Flex 3000.s and he can unplug the working rig and plug in the bad one and all the problems start up. He DID NOT BUY IT FROM FLEX he purchased it used off eBay. He has decided to keep it for spare parts, he does not want to stick someone else with it by selling it to them.

I love my Flex, and no one can be perfect all the time and normally Flex has a great reputation as far as customer service. I would not have any reservations buying a used rig from Flex, I would not however buy one from a private person unless I know them, I would not buy one off eBay.  
  • Bill
    Bill Member
    edited September 2016
    I bought my 6300 from the trade-in program. I had several issues neither of which were related to the radio itself or function.  It took about 3 weeks to get my radio.  To be fair, the radios really are not in great supply.  They had my radio at the time I ordered it.  I was told that they were going through it to make it factory fresh.  I also ordered the ATU on the advice of several friends, also Flex owners.

I waited several weeks for them to send the radio.  When I received it it was as advertised.  I did not find the ATU in the package and figured that they must have installed it while they were making it "factory fresh".  That assumption was wrong.  I recontacted them advising that the radio did not have the ATU installed or included with their shipping package.  They apologized for the oversight and over-nighted the ATU to me.  They did not feel bad enough about it to include a hat as suggested....

Love the radio.  It does more tricks than I possibly will ever use, part of the reason for getting the 6300 and not the 6500 or 6700.  I seldom use my other HF radios any more....
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I bought a slightly used 6300. It looked like New. It smelled new. It had all the packaging. It has made one trip back to Austin at Flex expense. I think buying recertified it a great way to get a great radio and save $200!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    My 2¢? For $200 buy new, get a full warranty. Two hundred dollars is almost the price of a new one.
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Robert! Thanks for your interest in the Pre-Owned FLEX-6300. We are offering a full warranty on the units. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

sales@flexradio.com
    512-535-4713 x 1

• Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Matt,

What does a--- Pre-Owned FLEX-6300 typically cost?

Thanks

Larry

• Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Larry, We actually now have them posted on our online store. They can be found at the following link:
    http://cart.flexradio.com/Certified-Pre-Owned_c_44.html
  • Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Great--- Thanks, I looked but never quite got to the right page!

Larry

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Make sure you get one with low transmitting hours, they tend to get gassy with low emissions and may need gettering. Put it on a variac and bring it up slowly.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ha ha
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Some of us oldies do remember. I was QRT for 38 years and made sure that I followed the procedure you outlined when I fired up the old rig. It worked like a charm. Next step is to fire up my 1960s home brew linear! With 4 x 6KD6s that will be a challenge!
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Sorry for updating an older thread, but I just wanted to point out I bought a 'Certified' 6300 a couple months ago and the radio was like-new, $200 cheaper than new, and included the full two year warranty, as noted in the item description.image
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Trade In (5000A to 6300)  worked out great for me.  The service during the sale was excellent.  I don't believe that I could tell the difference from a new one.  Also, I wanted to be able to trust the seller to deliver as promised. Direct to Flex versus an unknown individual made sense to me. No worries about a damaged rig or the seller failing to do as promised.   

Selling these days (the 5000A) has become too risky, too much scammer risk over very little difference between trade in value and market value.  In this aspect trust in FlexRadio was a key factor. 

The 6300 has worked flawlessly for me 
  • David NT8Y
    David NT8Y Member
    edited December 2019
    I went the trade in route with one of my Icoms. I was ordering a new 6500. The price for the trade in was acceptable to me and I was waiting on a new 6500. There was a delay on it and Matt Youngblood kept in contact with me. He called me as I was waiting for the new 6500 and offered a certified preowned 6500 with full warranty and explained there where a few scratches on the back panel. The price was worked out and I decided to go with it. It arrived without issue and the scratches are minor. I am very pleased with the radio at this time. I am glad Matt took the extra effort to work with me on this purchase,
    David KE8DVM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.