Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

More DM 780 problems

Jim Brinza
Jim Brinza Member
DM 780 loading to background processes? Not all the time though. Running mini ..logbook works every time. If I can get 780 to run it will work great for hours then not responding. 780 will boot and go right to background SOMETIME?? IM READY TO FIGURE OUT FLDIGI!! THANKS JIM

Comments

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I vote for fldigi. While DM780 was once my go to for digital operations, fldigi does a good job of interfacing to a Flex radio. 

I have a Youtube video on interfacing fldigi to SmartSDR, step by step.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVOhj244e30

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    DM780 works great used it last night runs perfect on windows 8 a few questions? What operating system are you running? What version of HRD / DM780 R U using? Some details so maybe someone can help rather then DM780 isnt working. Ian
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Did you call HRD?
  • Jim Brinza
    Jim Brinza Member
    edited September 2016
    Hrd flew into my machine last week blamed it on flex. The tech told me to load mini(he had never heard of it his boss told him) Worked great and still does when it decides to run. Win 10 latest v of hrd. Thanks...think I need to learn fldigi
  • Jim Brinza
    Jim Brinza Member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks I have it running..just learning curve!
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I'm a little biased .. was an alpha tester for DM780 and am a beta tester for FLdigi.  In terms of using a Flex , and in terms of modern capabilities, FLdigi is light years ahead. 
    Andy K3UK
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Reminds me of when I was doing video work with the old VTR's, Time base correctors, switchers and frame buffers. Every time I had a problem, it was always "the other manufacturer's fault." So I started buying one manufacturer, and they had to address my problems.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    If I understand correctly, Dave W1HKJ, developed the decoders for DM780, and they are still using those. He has gone way beyond those.

Which is why I had to intervene a few months ago when in a class I was teaching, a guy went on a tangent about the inherent superiority of DM780 as compared to fldigi. I didn't want to embarrass him, but about the 5 minute mark I figured he wasn't going to pipe down. 8^)

If I have one criticism of fldigi, it is that the updates are so fast and furious that when I do updates, especially on my linux machines, it takes a lot of time, because I have a lot of machines, and since I gotta build from source, its fun on one machine, drudgery on 15.

Note though for people thinking about this, you don't often need to run at the torrid update pace if you aren't using the NBEMS features of the suite. Otherwise, its great on a flex or legacy radios.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I don't recall Dave being involved in the coding of digital modes in DM780.  I remember doing extensive testing of some problems DM780 had with Olivia mode when compared with other software like Multipsk.  I think Simon Brown ended up consulting with Pavel about those issues.  I think the PSK Simon used was from the basic core that Moe Wheatley was involved with.   So, not sure where Dave fit in.
    Andy K3UK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.