Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Having trouble connecting a laptop directly to Flex 6300

John AD6NR
John AD6NR Member ✭✭

I normally use a desktop computer to run my Flex 6300 via my wired home network.  The desktop has been upgraded to 1.9.7 and works fine.   I wanted to take the radio to a friend’s house to show him how it works so I loaded SSDR 1.9.7 onto my lap top running Win 8.1 that had never had SSDR loaded.  It was not connected to my Flex 6300.   After the load completed the laptop was restated.  I started SSDR, it came up but did not show a radio. The laptop was connected directly to the 6300 with a network cable.  I powered up 6300 by turning on the power supply and after a minute or so the radio came up.  The Radio then showed as available on the SSDR.   I clicked to select the radio and then “connect”.    The connect bar went from light green to a slightly darker green after a few seconds of the little runaround thing the Radio Setup box changed to: “Radio Setup (not responding)” the runaround thing ran around for another few second then I got a dialog box:  Radio Connection Failed: “Unable to connect to radio.   Please power cycle the radio and try again”.   I power cycled the radio (removed the 12VDC for 10 seconds) – same result.   I closed SSDR – power cycled the radio so it was on before I started SSDR – same result.   I rebooted the computer – same result.  I tried every combination I could think of for rebooting/ starting SSDR / having the 6300 powered up before or waiting to power up the 6300 until after SSDR was started.   When I reconnect the 6300 to my network if still works fine with my desktop.  I reviewed the manual and did not find anything that helped.   Any suggestions as to what I should try now?    Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I would start with a quick check of the Windows firewall. I don't have a win8 computer around so I don't remember the exact steps but in Win10 I find it in control panel. Then go to "Allow an app or feature through the Windows Firewall."

This should give you a list of apps including the Flex Systems apps. I have mine set to be allowed on Private and Public.

Why some are listed twice I don't know but every time I tried to mess with this I blew something up so I just leave it all alone now.

If you are running some other security software it should have a similar feature.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Some questions for investigation... Did you have the rig set for Static IP? If so, the rig and computer may not be on the same subnet and will not connect properly. Have you tried connecting through a simple switch? Is the laptop already connecting via wifi to an internet router? Again, this may be causing DHCP IP addressing problems. Can you try it again with you virus protection or firewall momentarily disabled? Good luck. Ken - NM9P
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Is your laptop connecting to a WiFi network as well? I think you have a networking issue if it is not what Kevin mentioned about Firewall/AntiVirus blocking it.

My guess is you Wireless adapter is connected to a HOME network without restriction but your Wired connection between the laptop and flex might have different settings.

I will try to turn off or disable the WiFi adapter to see if you can get a solid wired connection to the Flex and go from there.

Good luck.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Maybe try another cable to connect the laptop to the radio?

Howard

• KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    A Cross-over cable should be used if no switch is available. Follow subnet suggestions as well. GL!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do you really need a crossover cable? I thought that wasn't the case.... good to know.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If that is the case you can get crossover adapters https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Crossover-Ethernet-Computers-Standard/dp/B01FHBZMW2/ref=sr_1_2?...
    And make any ethernet cable a crossover cable.

• KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Good find on those adapters! They are red for a reason ...just like commercial X-over cables.
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    According to the hardware reference manual no X-over cable is needed :

This is the network connection for the radio. It is an auto-sensing 100 megabit or 1 gigabit Ethernet port. It auto-senses polarity as well, so if you are using a direct connection to your PC, you do not need a crossover cable. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for information as to the network configuration options.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Not necessary with the flex, it will sense what is needed to connect with a standard cable.

• KC7ES
    KC7ES Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I stand corrected. Thank you for the research.
  • John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    My windows firewall is off - double checked via the control panel. 
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I had this issue when direct feeding my Anan 10.

In the computer open: TaskManager > Perfrormance and in the Ethernet tab should be the IPv4 address

In the radio open: Settings > Radio Setup > Network and read the IP address  I believe the first 3 numbers in each address should be the same.

If they are not the same you can change the computer adapter to something static and it will probably work.  

73  W9OY
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    The most likely problem, if you are connecting the two without any kind of switch or router, is that you need a specialty cable called a "crossover cable".  There is actually a difference between what a router port wants and needs from the connection and what a device like a PC port.  Some newer ethernet ports support both transparently, but many still do not.  I would either insert a router (some of us have extras laying about!) or else find a crossover cable from someone (they are getting harder to find but do exist) and try that.
  • John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Ken!   I do not have the rig set for static IP.  I have temporarily defeated my virus protection.  I tried connecting through a simple switch - no luck.   Although I did find out I could connect through my WiFi!     
  • John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Lee - Bingo - the laptop was set to static IP!!!   I had not used this laptop in quite some time and did not realize (remember?) it had been set to a static IP.   When I set it to run dynamic IP it connected right away.   
  • John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    PROBLM SOLVED!    I had not used this laptop for quite some time and for some reason I can not recall, it was set to a static IP.  When I re-set I to dynamic the radio connected just like it should.  Many thanks to for all the responses and help.   This group is great!   I'm a happy camper but my bartender is lamenting all the lost business!         

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.