Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tune-Up with spare TX RCA Jack?

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I’m not sure if this is already possible but I would like to assign one of my unused
TX connectors on the back of my 6500 to the TUNE button in SSDR So I can connect a foot or hand switch to the TUNE function.

OR

Is it possible to make the TUNE button in SSDR Momentary instead of latching?

Comments

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

After further investigation it seems that this is not possible as of yet.

I would guess this would just be something that could be added to the “Radio Setup” Panel under the “TX” Tab.

Maybe a check box next to each of the RCA TX 1,2,3 boxes to allow user to select witch one of the unused RCA TX jacks controls the TUNE function in SSDR.

So why do I want this? Because my HF amp and tuner is on my far left and my PC screen is on my far right and for safety I want to be able to keep my eyes on the amp & tuner while I’m tuning up. Doing this with the mouse makes this a bit more difficult and because the TUNE button latches if something goes wrong I have to move my eyes from the amp and tuner look back over to the PC get my mouse on the TUNE button and by then it might be too late.

So being able to use a momentary foot switch or hand switch would allow me to tune up more safely.

Although I keep a tune up chart for the most part my tune up goes quickly already this would just add another level of Speed and Safety to the Tune-Up Process.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The Maestro has a TUNE button ;-)
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One of the nicest TUNE buttons money can buy :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If I remember the last time I read the hardware manual...tx1-3 are open-collector outputs and cannot be reconfigured as inputs. Unless there is some other circuitry involved that I missed.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    RCA TX jacks should be software assignable to the TUNE function?
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just hit the tune button one time with your mouse and then you can use your space bar after that. The space bar will duplicate the last command.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes Larry I figured that one out long ago some times I use the space bar for MOX. Still would like the option to use Foot or hand switch for TUNE. 
  • John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited December 2016
    Maybe you could contact AA3RK whom wrote FRStack for Flex and see if he could program such a function into his next release.  He already has a tune button on his interface so maybe it a easy task for him to add a user defined timer to it.  It would also be useful for those of us that operate remotely and and use a rf sensing auto tuner.

John K3MA
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    As for me I would like this to be a part of SSDR.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Pretty sure the TX RCA jacks connect to hardware relays. No amount of software will change that, unfortunately.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oh well ;(
    Could the TX Req RCA jack work?
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Set the radio to CW and put your footswitch parallel across one of the key inputs (dit or dah).  Turn off Iambic but leave Breakin activated.  Set the RF power (not tune power but RF output) to your tuning power.  Mash the foot switch.

73  W9OY
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here's a thought maybe a TUNE option could be added to the FlexControl dropdown list MOX is there now?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Now I like that idea! Especially if there could be a programmable timer to shut it off after ten seconds or so.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would prefer Momentary where you hold button down to tune and release to stop. You could still have a 10sec limit on the button press.

This sounds like the simplest solution.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.