Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote operation - Modem rebooting

Mike va3mw
Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
How I deal with a Router / Modem lock up on my remote base. For the 11 years I have been running a remote base I have had issues with my modem hanging up from time to time. In fact, it was the first thing that took me offline in the middle of a winter and a 3 hour drive away. I quickly fixed that by adding a timer that rebooted the modem at 3am. Finally, it was time to get smarter. There are many 'canned' solutions, but some are expensive and even more expensive when you have them shipped outside of the US. I knew I should be able to do with with a RPI (or similar). I was too busy to build an AC interface box, but I did find: http://www.digital-loggers.com/iot.html for $30 CDN. :) And, you can drive it directly from a PI GPIO port. Awesome. In the KISS model, here is a script you can cron every 15 minutes to check and power cycle as required. Make sure you modem is plugged into the NC port of the switch (default to always on). As this is Python, tabs are critical, so if you are copying and pasting, you may have to clean this up. Mike va3mw #!/usr/bin/python # # Python script to check for live internet based on a cron schedule # If no connection to both servers, then toggle GPIO pin to power cycle # both router and modem # # GPIO pin is held low for active, HI to toggle power off and on # Pin 6 GND and Pin 12 for GPIO logic # http://www.digital-loggers.com/iot.html for logic switch # wired to use the NC contacts # # M. Walker va3mw 09/16/2016 import socket import RPi.GPIO as GPIO import time import syslog PIN = 12 def is_connected(REMOTE_SERVER): try: # see if we can resolve the host name -- tells us if there is a DNS listening host = socket.gethostbyname(REMOTE_SERVER) # connect to the host -- tells us if the host is actually reachable s = socket.create_connection((host, 80), 2) # syslog.syslog('Successful Test') return True except: pass return False def ResetRouter(): GPIO.setwarnings(False) GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BOARD) GPIO.setup(PIN, GPIO.OUT) GPIO.output(PIN,1) # turn on pin syslog.syslog('Modem Reset - connection failed') time.sleep( 5 ) # sleep for 5 GPIO.output(PIN,0) # turn off pin GPIO.cleanup() # cleanup def main(): if not (is_connected("www.google.ca") and is_connected("www.cnn.com")): ResetRouter() else: syslog.syslog('Internet Up') if __name__ == "__main__": main()

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well relying on a Pi for me is not a real wise choice, for me I use the Digital loggers remote power switch, They have Autoping which you can set up to try to ping some outside and inside IP address and if it can't ping one of the IP you have set for a certain number of pings you can set it toggles the outlets you have asked it to. 
    I use these for ALL my Communication sites and my home automation stuff and some of the switches I have 
    had in full time service since 2005 and I have 30 to 35 of these power switches. 

I like the turn key and very dependable service these provide

73's and just my 2 cents.
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The Raspberry Pi is probably the most reliable $35 computer on th planet.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I would have preferred to use the Digital Loggers device, but the price is through the roof to get it into Canada. The way I have it coded if the PI dies, which they do, I will still have power going to the Modem/Router.
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mike:
    You have come up with a really nice solution that is very cost effective. I will be trying it. The seems to accomplish the same thing effectively as the microloggers autoping does. Tnx!!!!
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    BTW, if you just copy and paste this into a file on the pi, it likely will not run. You'll have to conform to python format. The tabbing is key.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Your reboot is probably caused by RFI into the router. A few weeks back, I had a problem hwile contesting on a particular frequency on 40 meters. Turned out my wireless router was exquisitly sensitive, and would reboot, which made for a real nuisance. A big toroid and heavy duty ethernet cable fixed it.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Michael

My issue happens with just about every cable modem I have used and sadly is not RF related (I have my fair share of chokes in place).  This happens when there is no RF being transmitted or I haven't been on the air for weeks.  I can tell when the security cameras or weather station goes offline.

The latest is due to the Motorola Modem whose LAN port dies.  This is the port that the Router plugs into.  I have proven and reported it to my ISP who claims 'No one else has reported it, so that isn't the problem.  Grrr... I reply 'that is because for everyone that has a problem, the first thing you tell them to do is to reboot the modem and the problem goes away.  The tech responds with 'hmmmm ... I guess you are correct!".

Thanks for you suggestions.

Mike va3mw

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    What version of Python did you use? I want to try this on an Arduino.
    Tnx de Arnie W8DU
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't think it is critical. root@raspberrypi:~# python --version Python 2.7.9 Make sure if you copy my code that you tab in the routines accordingly. I had some help, so I'm not the one to ask on the formatting. Mike va3mw
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Wow, I can't seem to edit my initial comment. As for the code (for you non-coders) I have added comments that may help with the Python script #!/usr/bin/python # # Python script to check for live internet based on a cron schedule # If no connection to both servers, then toggle GPIO pin to power cycle # both router and modem # # GPIO pin is held low for active, HI to toggle power off and on # http://www.digital-loggers.com/iot.html for logic switch # wired to use the NC contacts # # M. Walker va3mw 09/16/2016 import socket import RPi.GPIO as GPIO import time import syslog PIN = 12 def is_connected(REMOTE_SERVER): # 1 tab to the 'try:' try: # see if we can resolve the host name -- tells us if there is a DNS listening # this group has 2 tabs until the 'return True' host = socket.gethostbyname(REMOTE_SERVER) # connect to the host -- tells us if the host is actually reachable s = socket.create_connection((host, 80), 2) # syslog.syslog('Successful Test') return True # 'except' has 1 tab and 'pass' has 2 tabs except: pass # next line - 1 tab return False # no tab def ResetRouter(): # 1 tab - feel free to add other code here to send messages once the box has been turned back on # before the GPIO.cleanup() - we do the cleanup up to make sure all pins are low GPIO.setwarnings(False) GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BOARD) GPIO.setup(PIN, GPIO.OUT) GPIO.output(PIN,1) # turn on pin syslog.syslog('Modem Reset - connection failed') time.sleep( 5 ) # sleep for 5 GPIO.output(PIN,0) # turn off pin GPIO.cleanup() # cleanup # no tab def main(): # 1 tab if not (is_connected("www.google.ca") and is_connected("www.cnn.com")): # 2 tabs ResetRouter() else: # 2 tabs syslog.syslog('Internet Up') # no tabs if __name__ == "__main__": # 1 tab main()
  • Timo - OH5KW
    Timo - OH5KW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If there is a modem problem you can not remote control your station any more. So there has to be another systems to reboot or switch on or off the station. 
    I have used for many years Ontech GSM relays. Main unit can turn on or off the main power to the station. A **** unit is rebooting the modem if needed. Another **** unit can reboot the PC. **** units are commanded by main unit by WiFi connection.
    It is better to have two separate ways to control your remote station power. If the Internet or modem fails, GSM is still in use. Just send a simple SMS message and you are back in business.

73, Timo OH5KW

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Timo I do have one of those, but I have to notice that the modem is offline. :) I did buy one on eBay but have yet to buy a SIM card to set it up. I went this route in order to have it happen automatically. My DXcluster customers get pissy when I'm offline. LOL 73 Mike va3mw
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ta da!  It worked.  This was as case of the LAN port on the Modem hanging up.  This is a Motorola modem and I can tell from the Router logs that it was running fine.

Sep 23 08:30:01 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Internet Up
    Sep 23 09:00:02 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Internet Up
    Sep 23 09:30:02 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Internet Up
    Sep 23 10:00:26 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Modem Reset - connection test failed
    Sep 23 10:30:02 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Internet Up
    Sep 23 11:00:02 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Internet Up
    Sep 23 11:30:01 raspberrypi internet_check.py: Internet Up

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mike:
    I did get this working with some enhancements on my RPi 3 and it is really nice. I have enhanced the code to enable it to email me a log file when the internet returns to service after going down. I am just using simple text files for the log and the email function built into raspian. I also added an indicator LED to show when the reboot has been triggered. I also added on-screen feedback of the script.
    Here is the code. As Mike cautioned, tab formatting is really critical in Python.
    73 de Arnie W8DU

#!/usr/bin/python#
    # Python script to check for live internet based on a cron schedule
    # If no connection to both servers, then toggle GPIO pin to power cycle
    # both router and modem
    #
    # GPIO pin is held low for active, HI to toggle power off and on
    #  http://www.digital-loggers.com/iot.html for logic switch
    #  wired to use the NC contacts
    #
    # M. Walker va3mw 09/16/2016
    # modified by A. Podolsky W8DU 11/02/2016
    # calls emailtest.py when internet returns to service

import socket 
    import RPi.GPIO as GPIO 
    import time 
    import datetime
    global flag 
    PIN = 12  #trigger for dataloggers power socket
    LED = 23 #trigger for indicator LED - active when internet goes down
    flag = 0
    data = open("flagdata.txt","a") #make sure flagdata.txt exists
    data.close

def is_connected(REMOTE_SERVER):
         try:

# see if we can resolve the host name -- tells us if there is a DNS listening
              host = socket.gethostbyname(REMOTE_SERVER)
              # connect to the host -- tells us if the host is actually reachable
              s = socket.create_connection((host, 80), 2)
              print ("Successful Test")
              return True
         except:
              pass
         return False 

def ResetRouter():
         GPIO.setwarnings(False)
         GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM) #this is changed from 'GPIO.BOARD' on previous version
         GPIO.setup(PIN, GPIO.OUT)
         GPIO.setup(LED, GPIO.OUT)
         GPIO.output(PIN,GPIO.HIGH) # turn on pin - turns off power on AC control
         GPIO.output(LED,GPIO.HIGH)
         print 'Connection down - resetting now ', datetime.datetime.now()
         fout = open ("checkfile.txt","a")
         s=str(datetime.datetime.now())
         fout.writelines ("Internet DOWN at ")
         fout.write(s)
         fout.write ('
    ')
         fout.close()   
         time.sleep( 20 ) # sleep for 20 seconds - this powers off modem and router
         GPIO.output(PIN,GPIO.LOW) # turn off pin - this turns modem/router on
         GPIO.output(LED,GPIO.LOW)
         GPIO.cleanup() # cleanup - all pins low - ensures power is on

def main():
         global flag
         if not (is_connected("www.google.com") and is_connected("www.cnn.com")):
              ResetRouter()
              print 'Resetting router at ',datetime.datetime.now()
              fout = open ("checkfile.txt","a")
              fout.writelines ("Resetting router at ")
              fout.write(s)
              fout.write ('
    ')
              fout.close()
              print (flag)
              flag = 1
              data = open("flagdata.txt","w") #set flag for internet down
              data.write("1")
              data.close()

else:
              print 'Internet UP as of ',datetime.datetime.now()
              global flag
              data = open("flagdata.txt","r") #get flag status from file
              flag = data.read()
              flag = int(flag)
              if flag: #if flag was set, write to checkfile and email file
                   fout= open("checkfile.txt","a")
                   fout.writelines ("Internet RETURNED TO SERVICE at ")
                   fout.write(s)
                   fout.write ('
    ')
                   fout.close()
                   import emailtest #send email
                   print 'Internet returned to ONLINE at '
                   print (s)
                   print ('
    ')
              print (flag)     
              flag = 0 #internet back up - reset flag and write to file
              data = open("flagdata.txt","w")
              data.write("0")
              data.close()

# The following 6 lines are for testing purposes. Make sure to comment out the last two lines
    #  at the botton of this script when doing any testing with the following 6 lines
    #try:
    # while True:
    # main()
    # time.sleep(90) 
    #except KeyboardInterrupt:
    # print ('program stopped')

if __name__ == "__main__":
         main()

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I thought you said you couldn't program! :) Nicely done. I just started to play with Node-Red which run on a rPI. https://nodered.org/ This is holding great promise for my new remote antenna switch. Mike va3mw
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks...Like they say: "Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then."
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Further update.  I had this loaded up on Github to make it easier to find/edit.  There is one for controlling an GPIO port and another one for rebooting a pfSense router.

Mike 

https://github.com/r0n22/Internet_Monitor/

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    BTW, this is the easiest thing to interface to a Arduino or a RPI.

It can be driven right from the GPIO logic on the RPI.  Now, if they just had a 220 one.  

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.