Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.9.7 - What started as a scary tale ended as a fairy tale ...

Gary L. Robinson
Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
edited April 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
And life couldn't better be.

The install on 1.9.7 was a little shaky.  I did all the proper things as noted in the "Important release details" and then started the install.  The progress bar slowly went to the end and stopped there but nothing else happened ... except I think the color above the Flex power button may have changed.  I am somewhat color impaired so don't always notice things like that unless the "value" is significant.

Anyway, after waiting 5 minutes and nothing happening with the install program - I closed it and shut the Flex down in a normal fashion.  I rebooted the computer and tried to start  SmartSDR but the initial screen would NOT even come up hihi  
But after shutting the Flex down again AND turning the power supply off for 15 seconds, I tried again to start SmartSDR and this time it came up but said I needed to update it.  I guess the first time did NOT quite work.  So, I hit the update button and this time the progress bar went half way and I see the flex reboot itself.  Eventually it comes back up and the screen then reports success.

All looks good, it's running the new version, and everything seems to be working fine!

And I really really like the ability to adjust the filters for my best combination of latency and sharpness!  - And for CW, Digi, and SSB be able to choose different settings - great job!

Another successful install and upgrade - even if it had a rocky start hihi

---Gary WB8ROL

Comments

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gary, i am a bit expirienced with my F6700 and follow into the following upgrade seguence what grant 100% troublee/nerves free for me (i never keep previous version - just not need it, IMHO BTW):
    1. Deinstall SSDR completely with VSP and DAX and deleting FlexRadio folder
    2. Installing new version of SSDR with VSP and DAX
    3. Back up Radio Profiles
    4. Reset radio - clean up profiles memory
    5. Update SW radio 
    6. Restart radio
    7. restore profiles
    8. on air

no issue at all, process takes ~10min overall

• Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yes, I think your method is complete and efficient.  :-)
  • Mike McWhinnie/GM0DYU
    Mike McWhinnie/GM0DYU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

I had a similar issue upgrading my 6300,  the upgrade appeared to progress as normal however after about fifteen minutes the yellow progress bar was still showing and the 'upgrade' button,  the indicator on the 6300 was solid green so I gave it another ten minutes then power cycled the radio,  started SSDR which came back up normally on 1.9.7 and connected to the radio, no issues with DAX/CAT, radio working normally.

Seemed to hang at the end of the install,  I was not overly keen on power cycling the radio at that point but the solid green indicator on the 6300 was reassuring, it seemed to resolve the issue on this occasion.

Cheers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    With a release that updates most of the processors in the radio, if one of them does not auto restart correctly, the process will hang.  This usually doesn't happen, but occasionally it does.

If the upgrade hangs, just restart the radio and it will either finish on the next boot or allow you to upgrade the firmware successfully.  The radio is designed to handle "dirty" power downs.  We do this all the time and it has never corrupted the file system in the radio.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I DO NOT advocate removing and reinstalling the DAX and FlexVSP drivers unless you are explicitly told do so so as part of the release upgrade.  This can open up new opportunities for the upgrade to have problems by repeatedly installing kernel mode drivers when it is not warranted. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.