Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Improvement to CWX under SmartSDR

Andrew Thall
Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
It would be great to be able to have a CQ repeat automatically with a programmed delay.  You could use the escape key or a press of the code key to cancel it.  This would be very useful for contesting.
4 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Andrew

This function is built into most contesting software.  N1MM drives the Flex radios wonderfully and can do exactly what you ask.

Mike va3mw

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I'd agree. The n1mm-flex radio combo is tremendous for contesting. 
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    There was exactly such a function in PowerSDR.  The double-quote character was used for this purpose and there was a separate, settable delay for it. 

While we're at it, we may as well add this feature I wished PowerSDR had:  If the # key is seen and then CWX postion 12 would be used as "our" contest exchange.  If there was a second number, it would increment the first by that amount (usually one, but conventionally present to indicate there should be an increment)
  • EA4AYW
    EA4AYW Member
    edited May 2020
    I support the idea of Andrew, though many programs have this option, it would be interesting to icual that the part of CW has it, can incorporate this option directly from the flex, or can use something similar as the FlexControl with a 4 or 5 buttons to use calls directly from an external hardware, that would facilitate things a lot by not having to depend on the software program contests.

A flex control about 4 or 5 buttons for programmable call time would be ideal.

Similar to using Icon or Yaesu with FH-2 and programmable internal memories.
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party software -- it should be incorporated into SmartSDR.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I would disagree (maybe I did already :)...  My 2 cents is that I would rather Flex engineering focus on new feature SDR functionality first.  Possibly add the  keyer at a later date, but, then again, CW is not one of my priority modes.  For years, we have used external keyers to achieve this solution.  The other thing to consider from a programming perspective is that a looping CW option adds another 'timer' to the mix of the already running code.   Timers are expensive in code / hardware speak.

The other part is that their product management team has to take into account what other feature would have to be deferred to make this happen and how much of the install base would benefit?  

I'm speaking as someone who manages part of a software development company, so I guess I know more about how software is developed behind the scenes than most.

73 all, de va3mw 

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Michael... are you a Flex employee or speak for them as an Elmer? I don't really know what an Elmer is in this community or how one becomes qualified to be called an Elmer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you are saying Andrew's idea is not important enough for Flex to spend time on at the expense of maybe some of your ideas? I'm sorry. I do try to get along with this group but the few that talk for Flex marketing, Flex development, Flex Engineering, Flex sales and Flex support and are not associated with any of these teams does nothing but discourage open conversation about ideas.

If Flex is going to say that they are 100% behind contestors (there is or was a contest czar to represent contestors) and contestors are the driving force behind Flex's decisions then a simple repeat function on CWX doesn't seem to be out of the realm of consideration. In fact, I think it is pretty freaking odd that it was not included as a basic function. 

My 2 cents... I would rather openly discuss ideas and their technical or operational merit and let Flex take care of the business issues. I'm speaking as someone who may know less about how software is developed behind the scenes than most and doesn't really care. That's Flex's business.

Apologies to the community in advance. Hot button pressed. I'll fade away for a little while now.

Kevin K4VD

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    The Vote button at the top of the page shows support. Don't forget to click that for any of the ideas found in the forum that you like. I think that adds some visibility to the idea.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Kevin
    Because you were wondering about the "Elmer" designations, in the Community.
    Begin here ...
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/become_a_flexradio_support_community_elmer
    It's an earned designation.
    One I may never earn. image
    When you don't know, ask, there might be an answer waiting.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Kevin I guess I am an Elmer. I am not an employee and I am invested in the product just like everyone else. I am only adding my personal opinion on how the software product lifecycle works. It is the same for Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, etc. That is all. From a contesting perspective (my personal one and what is the norm) that auto CQ is generated by the contesting software, not the radio. The reason you do it this way is so that you can control the keyer in a much better fashion. We want to do that from the keyboard, not the radio as it is 'faster' than reaching over to the radio. There are times that having a auto repeat for a radio makes sense (like my FT897) and that might be for a 6M beacon when you are out in a remote operation, etc. Kevin, my comments are only my personal view and possibly elaborating on how the software product life cycle works. I have a zero value vote in this process. That is all. Flex does have an appointment contest champion (I'm not sure if that is public or not), so based on that, I won't publish his name or call since I am not sure if that is covered via NDA or not. I encourage all to express their own opinion always and to do it with respect and professionalism. If I failed to do that, then shame on me. for that I apologize. Many 73, Mike va3mw
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I'd like to address Kevin's question about Community Elmers.  They are people who have shown a history of assisting people and providing quality answers.  They do not speak for FlexRadio nor are their answers always authoritative. Some Elmers are also part of the Alpha team and as such, they have a unique insight into some of the issues discussed on the Community, although they are not allowed to comment directly as all Alpha team members are under a strict NDA.  

Some of our Alpha team members like Michael are also software development professionals and have an intimate understanding of carefully balancing development resources to achieve the greatest ROI, so comments like working on things that positively affect the greatest number of users rather than working on other features that have a more limited audience is not belittling your feature request or idea, it is just how smart business is conducted.  If we had unlimited development resources, we could do all these great ideas that people put forward in short order. Unfortunately, we do not so we have to prioritize and some ideas will become reality later than others. 
  • Kenneth Petersen
    Kenneth Petersen Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think that its a very good idea to have repeat function in CWX, POWERSDR could do that, and I really do not understand why its not in SMARTSDR.
    Also smartsdr should have a Voice memory function.
    Just any other radio on the marked have theese functions already.
    I love my flex6600 dont misunderstand that, but beeing forced to use 3rd party software for something that should be in radiosoftware make the smartsdr not so smart in contesting and cw in generel.
    oz1hdf
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This suggestion has been repeatedly requested for years..  That’s why I have a K4D on order.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    While it would be nice to have some improvements to CWX, the API has allowed software developers such as myself to do wonders with CW.

FRLogger has a CW panel.  Even if you didn't like the Logger or the rest of the program the CW panel offers many things including looping of CW macros, insertion of variables, speed changes, timed delays etc.

It is possible in FRLogger to write a macro that:

sends: CQ CQ CQ DE WS7M
    delays 5 seconds
    then loops to repeat until the esc key is hit.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.