Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for iOS not discovering the radio

Joe KK9TT
Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Using Verizon Jetpack hotspot for internet access (live/travel in RV full time). 6300 connected to PC via Ethernet, PC on my Wi-Fi network, iPad with SSDR app on same Wi-Fi network. App won't discover the radio. What am I missing. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Do not attach the PC to the radio directly.  Attach the Radio to your home network via a switch.  
  • Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    First, you need to set up a VPN on your home network. Then you need to open a port(s) on your home network as well as on your jetpack. Ozzy is a good source of info on how to set up a VPN...LOOK for his videos and threads on here. GL de Arnie W8DU
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    His first issue is his Radio is not on his home network according to his description.  This needs to be fixed and then he can look at VPN if that's what he's asking.
  • Joe KK9TT
    Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You're right. I just connected the radio to the PC directly. I need a switch. Thanks.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A switch won't help here. You have created two networks (PC-FLEX) via cable, and (PC-Rest of world) via wi-fi. Your Flex is effectively on a different island with no bridge. Try connecting both the PC and Flex to a wifi extender so both are wired together and have access to the outside world. iOS app will work at home then. Tackle VPN later if you like for outside work.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You need a switch on the side where your internet connection transitions to your LAN.  

<INTERNET>  -  <ROUTER/WIFI>  - HOME NETWORK (INSERT SWITCH HERE)

Home Network -  Attach PC, Radio, and other devices here.  

Do not simply run a cable between the Ethernet and Radio only if you want other devices to access the radio.

On the Home Network attach a switch if your Router/Wifi device's LAN port if it does not have any free ports for you to attach your Radio.   Do not insert a switch between your PC and Radio. 

Honestly, I'd turn off the PC Wifi, attach it's ethernet to a switch, the radio to a switch, and then run a cable from that switch to your Router if it's not close enough to just attach everything to the router directly.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Whay would you need a VPN for  a local network?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This! You gotta have a router to move the packets between the different devices. If you need more connections, then install a switch, Ditto on the wired connection. Much faster.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm assuming Arnie thought this since the OP mentioned "Using Verizon Jetpack hotspot for internet access (live/travel in RV full time)", he ultimately wanted to use it remotely.   Once he solves his internal problem he can move on to the VPN challenge.
  • Joe KK9TT
    Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, folks. I'll sort these suggestions out and probably be back with more questions -- networking is new to me . . . as is my less-than-a-week old Flex. I'm having a ball!
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The Jetpack is a wifi hotspot, IIRC. No wired connection. That's why I suggest a wifi extender with a few ports on it. The Jetpack can take care of internet duties wirelessly, and assign up to 5 (I think) addresses, and the ports on the extender can handle the heavy lifting between the Flex and PC. My shack is on a similar setup.
  • Joe KK9TT
    Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, George. I think your suggestion will work for me. No interest for now in operating off site, just want to be able to us the SSDR iOS app on/ around the RV. We're traveling a bit tomorrow but if there's time I'll try to snag an extender with ports at Best Buy. Don't be surprised if I come back to you for more help!
  • Joe KK9TT
    Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Problem solved. Picked up an extender with ports, inserted Tab A into Slot B, and it's working. Thanks to all who helped especially George KF2T. Great to experience this Flex community resource.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.