Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise Blanker settings on the 3000

Larry Williamson
Larry Williamson Member ✭✭

Can someone here recommend a good setting for the noise blankers on the 3000? I have play around a bit with the settings and never really heard much difference.

Thank you

Larry N7ZDR

Answers

• elan
    elan Member
    edited February 2018
    hello Larry 
    what v of psdr you use ke9ns? or flex one ?
    73 elan g0uut
  • Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018
    I am using the ke9ns T9 version-- Thank you
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I would think that it depends on one's particular situation, hence the reason why Darrin allowed us to make adjustments to them. However, unless the software algorithm is changed, one will not get much further than what the settings will allow. So, play around with it and if it does not help, try adjusting / adding another of the filters then go back to start again. Its the algorithm which is the power behind the filter.
  • Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited March 2017
    Can any one give Larry a straight answer?
    Then add to this question what are the optimal DSP/ANF settings THAT REALLY WORK for SSB?

a NO answer tells a lot about this being a BIG BUG issue!
    Why can't my Flex SSB DSP function at least the same/good as my IC-9100 SSB DSP? 
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I would think that FR would give the same answer about the algorithm. Yes it probably can be changed, but that would and could mean a rewrite of the software as well and we all know what they said about that. So in short the answer is No, it will not be changed in the psdr software, unless Darrin is allowed access to it, however it may be not be opensource.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Noise is a complex waveform so there isn't a single recommended setting other than the defaults.  If they do not work for your particular noise source, then vary the exposed controls until you achieve a greater amount of noise blanking.  Or you are using the wrong noise mitigation feature (NR vs. NB)

Why is the IC-9100 better?  I don't know.  Ask Icom for their NB algorithm and we could probably tell you the difference, but I don't think you will get a reply from them.  BTW, the PowerSDR NB algorithms are open source, so they are fully exposed and if anyone takes the initiative, they can work on improving them.
  • Larry Williamson
    edited June 2018

Thanks for the information from all--- I have probably read about 50 posts regarding the NB. I am lucky to live out in the country and don't really have much noise per say.

I have had the 3000 for about 3 weeks now and find that the NB never stayed on for any length of time, it seems like it just sound better with it off.

I have seen and tried many of the recommended settings and never really seen for heard much of a difference. Like Tim said, what may work for me-- may not work for you.

The one thing I don't have is a good noise source (really a good thing I guess). I even thought about finding something in the old barn the would create some good noise just for testing. I have a old battery charger out there dated about 1965, I might bring it back to the house and fire it up.

I do love the radio though-- Nice to be able to slid the filter left or right and get rid of the qrm or tuner uppers.

Larry

• Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited August 2016
    Nice smug non-answer, thank you.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, but what I stated without sarcasm is an accurate answer.  I am sorry it was not one that was satisfactory for you.  Based on your initial reply, it was deduced that you may have a misunderstanding about the nature of noise mitigation and I attempted to correct the misunderstanding that there isn't a global optimal setting.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Larry, unfortunately, these guys are not getting more advanced using multiple carriers and woodpecker type broad frequency noise generators. This possibly another issue that needs a self adapting algorithm  to clear the frequency one is on.
    Multiple carriers spaced 17khz across the bend is now the norm, what with carriers that now can be seen moving around the bands as if someone is using a hi power antenna anaylzer.......hi

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.