Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What model Apple ? The IoS looks fun. But I have always been WIndows based. What is a low end Apple

FrankAllen
FrankAllen Member
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Never used Apple

Answers

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am running dopparkSDR on a 2012 Mac Mini (quad I7) and on a 2013 Mac Pro.  I've run it in the past on the 2011 i5 Mac Mini as well.  The new Minis are more than powerful enough (but not really expandable) or you could look for a used Mini like my 2012 I7 and save some $. 

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Agree - for just basic SDR Client and logbook applications, an entry-level Mini will do just fine. You may find that you like the Mac OS and applications!

It IS quite different than Windows, so be prepared for a learning curve and feature differences.

• Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sounds like Frank is looking at IoS devices (iPad/iPhone) rather than a Mac.

I'm running the app on my iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 without issues.

Steve
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have been using an IPad Air2, an iPhone 6 Plus, and just bought a iPad Pro (9.6").   They all work great!   The iPad Pro is amazing!

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Frank,

Here is a link to the refurb store at apple.com. 

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

Pretty much any IOS device will work but unless you want an iPhone I would go with an iPad. By buying a refurbished one you save some money and still get the same warranty as a new one.

I think in your situation I would consider an iPad mini.

Jon...kf2e
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Using it on a 6+, big iPad Pro, Looks great on Pro.
  • Cliff
    Cliff Member
    edited December 2016
    Running the same 2012 i7 Mini works great with Flex 6500 been using it in the shack for ages. Have three OS's Linux Mint, OSX and Win7 
    Cliff VK2NP
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    I have a Mac mini I might be willing to sell I have run. Dog park on it
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I am enjoying the heck out of my new iPad Pro, my Maestro is now sitting by the radio in the basement. I still like it, but liking the iPad Pro better.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

I can confirm that it runs on an iPad 2, but you should be intoxicated while doing so or you might throw it out the window it's that slow.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sitting in the. Basement? Hi Hi The 12" pro is awesome. Sitting in lounge changing planes working DX. 'FYI. Have has several QSO FLYING TO NY over airline wifi.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    Well my office is down there so yep dat where it be. :) Flying and Hamming sounds like a lot of fun!
  • FrankAllen
    FrankAllen Member
    edited March 2017
    Well, thanks for the many comments. I've got my daughter looking for something suitable in the MIT area where she works.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, something about you sitting g in a darkened basement, just rings true.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Flite to Paris delayed. Pilot did not show up Sitting in NYC Admirals Club (a glorified Basement) working DX from La Jolla The App preserves sanity at airports.
  • Andrew Holman2
    Andrew Holman2 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I use the 2012 mac mini as well.  Here are some basic things to consider. (most of us apple folks really love our apples, but in Ham Radio its not ideal).

1. Unless you run parallels you will lose a large majority of the software that has been developed these days for Ham Radio (Ham Radio Deluxe etc.) a lot of the software packages do not use the Flex TCP connections, but rather com ports to connect to the radio to get the CAT info.

2. Even when running all mac software (DogPark SDR, MacLoggerDX), you are limited to those apps if you want to run solely on a mac and have any sort of integration.  The other packages Aether / RumLogNG do not support the Flex setup as far as I know. 

3. You still need to have a windows machine to upgrade your Flex.

4. You WILL find software you like that doesn't run on mac, which becomes a pain (for me I like the SKCC logging program).  In order for this to work, I have to have DAX and everything setup to connect to it via CAT, and it only runs on Windows.  

Mac is great, I love them, but for Ham Radio it CAN and WILL be a pain in the **** for Flex's.  I believe with other radios that have some sort of a CAT setup without TCP you are a little better off on the mac. I don't remember having the problem with something like my FTDX-1200 and Aether.  

Just an FYI. Flex & Mac is a very limited combination at the moment.  
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited September 2016
    I think you will love Ham radio with a Mac !

Some of us use the Mac for the things we love to do and Windows running under Parallels for things we have to do occasionally (like updating firmware).

It's not a contest, or a religion, there are great Ham radio software programs for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android and just about any other platform you can name.

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I agree fully with this. I have managed to make some stuff sorta work with wine (and winebottler to package it up). However, .net is a challenge on wine. Delphi apps like MorseRunner and skimmer are no problem, as well as apps that use mfc and other simple stuff. 

So far I have gotten HRD (5.24 the last free one), MorseRunner, N1MM (old version, haven't tried N1MM+ on mac). 

But still very much a pain. 

My work mac has only 8GB RAM with Yosemite so that kind of precludes running VMs on it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.