Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IOS governs power output setting of windows SmartSDR even when ios app is not running

DV
DV Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

Perhaps this is a feature and not a problem. Has anyone experienced a peculiarity that the app and Flex has together?  I have noticed that since I connected with the app and set my power at a given level in the app, and later, with the app and my I-Pad or I-Phone turned off, if I tried to adjust the power level using the SmartSDR Windows program, strangely, the power lever control on the Windows program could not be lowered beyond what it was set for in the app. I can move it upwards to a new level, but it immediately snaps back to the power setting setting from the app. Strangely, while turned off, the app, even though it is not running, still governs the setting on the Windows program.

The only way I can run full power on the Flex 6700 is to turn it up to full power on the app and then when I start the windows program, I can reach full power on the lever control. If the app is set to 50 watts, and then flicked off the screen and the I-Pad is turned off, then when I try to adjust the power on SmartSDR windows, the power level will be set at 50 and it is adjustable downward, but not up beyond 50 watts.

Comments

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Have you looked at the global profile in use? It could be still on the iOS profile instead of restoring the profile in use before you ran the app on hour iPad.
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yes, the setting of the Global profile makes no difference. The same thing happens when I use the SSB profile in SmartSDR for Windows.  Anyway, the setting of the power output in the app would not be stored in the either the TX or Global without saving it in the app. It may have something to do with the way Flex stores the band and power information for "persistence" when returned to the band, however, it seems affect all bands the same way. It is somewhat of a mystery. Marcus knows about this.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have added this report into our bug tracker for additional investigation.  If anyone can provide additional information, it would be appreciated.
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    ThisUserDoesNotExist Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Doug,

while investigating in this issue, I can't really reproduce it.

Can you please check the your max Power setting (either in the Windows or iOS Version). In the Windows version, this can be found under the TX tap on the Radio Setup screen.

In the iOS App, you can find this setting when choosing the Flex Settings tap and tap on "Transmit".

If this is set to e.g. 50 then you will experience the described behavior (almost).

Thanks for your help.

vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Marcus,

I can easily duplicate here. I, am using a different computer to run SmartSDR on my LAN, so this should exonerate the previous computer.

I'm running SmartSDR 8.x on the desktop.

Step 1, Set the power on SmartSDR, IOS to a lower power of your choice, using the default power slider under "Settings". I used 10 watts today.
    Step 2, Close off SmartSDR IOS.
    Step 3, Open SmartSDR on desktop, or any computer running Windows, load a transmit profile that is not the IOS profile.
    Step 4, Attempt to move the power slider on the desktop to 100 watts.

Results, the slider on the Windows computer will not go above 10 watts.

The following steps allow SmartSDR Windows to go to 100 watts:

Step 5, Close SmartSDR on the desktop.
    Step 6, Open SmartSDR IOS, load the IOS default profile (this is optional, I don't think it really matters, but it does rule out the power being saved in a transmit profile.)
    Step 7. Change the master power level power in SmartSDR IOS "Settings" to 100 watts.
    Step 8, Close SmartSDR IOS.
    Step 9, Open SmartSDR windows, (load the any transmit profile except the IOS profile, again to avoid some kind of a transfer from the profile)
    Step 10. Now you can change the power level to 100 on the Windows computer.

I hope I have understood your question.  Somehow, SmartSDR IOS causes its master power "Setting" to be retained in the radio or transferred to the Windows application directly.

Doug
    K0DV

• ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited December 2019
    Hi Doug,

many thanks.

Just for clarification: If you say (Step 1) under Settings, do you mean the Flex-XXXX-Settings tap at the bottom where you need to select "Transmit" and will see a "Max Power (W)" setting.

If so, then this is exactly what should happen. This is the Maximum power setting which can be used to limit the maximum power. This is the same setting as can be found in the Windows Version when opening the Flex Settings and selecting the "Transmit" tap.

The actual Power (in both Apps) need to be set using the slider called "RF Power" in the small window where you also find the Power and SWR Meter and the TUNE, MOX ATU and MEM buttons.

Which one did you use for Step 1?

Thanks again Doug.
    Vy 73,
    Marcus

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Marcus,

That's it.  I didn't understand that the max power setting in the IOS "settings" was setting the same max power setting that is in the Flex setup screen. That's very nice. I thought it was setting the maximum power of the IOS slider inside the IOS program. Sorry to falsely alarm you regarding this. It is no wonder that it would limit the maximum power in the Windows application. Everything, works exceptionally well and I am still impressed of how it can universally control just about everything that the main program can, and with no bugs,  You and your testers must have spent hundreds of hours looking for and correcting anything that was needed before its release.

Looking forward to your logging addition.

Thanks again, Marcus.

Doug
    K0DV
  • ThisUserDoesNotExist
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Doug,

good that it turns out not to be a bug.

Yes, indeed, all settings under "FlexRadio-6XXX Settings" will affect only the radio and will be stored on the radio. This is also, why this Tab is only active when connected to the Radio.

Whereas all settings under "Settings" are settings for the App itself and will be stored on your iOS Device.

Thanks again, so I will now continue my work on further improvements.

vy 73,
    Marcus, DL8MRE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.