Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using WSJT-X, WSPR and losing TX RF output

Bob-N4HY
Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
edited April 2022 in DAX
First, let me say that WSJT-X is set up perfectly. If I use it in WSPR mode it works until it doesn't. I have WSPR moving around on a schedule that matches the the solar day. I set it up, confirm it is working and walk away. After a random interval the TX power goes to zero, no audio is delivered via DAX. This is easily followed by going back in time on WSPRNET until no one is hearing me on any frequency. I continue receiving stations (on display on WSJT-X and confirmed on WSPRNET). I'm running WSJT-X 1.6, SmartSDR for Windows (1.9.2 alpha but this didn't matter, the same thing occurs on the last official release and all intervening alphas). The computer is a Gigabyte Brix with I7-4770 Haswell. CPU isn't a problem. I run my computer and radio through a switch. It is necessary for my shack as the Brix doesn't have a second Ethernet port. I'm concerned this says something about the resilience of DAX on a network, but I await hearing from others. Bob N4HY

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Bob

Just to confirm, when it fails, there is no Audio out on the DAX tx line?  

Is your network all hard wired or wireless at all?   Does it fail at the same time each day?

Just looking for some unique issue.

Mike va3m
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have the same issue with Flex 6700 and SmartSDR 1.8.4 using WSJT-x 1.6 on WSPR-2 mode.
    I also have it on Band Hopping staying focus on 30m trying to catch ZL1SIX.
    I can stay listening forever but the TX fails after a 24hr period. I haven't checked the exact time but I can confirm that it happens.

I get the very distorted TX signal on the panadapter with the weird skirts on the sides as previouly reported.

It is pretty sad that alpha (*so far) is not fixing this one...
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I use WSPR and JT65 and have yet to have an issue with it.  

Salvador, have you opened a support case yet?  If no one has done this, then it is possible that Flex is not even aware that the problem exists.  

How do we know that the problem is not with WSPR after 24 hours?  

Mike va3mw
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    No, I have not sent a Support Ticket.
    Neither have I sent it for Maestro backlight issue because when I asked here about it I was told that is a known issue that will be addressed, however, maybe I should ignore the forum and just send a Support Ticket any time I have a question. (sarcasm)

I do not normally leave WSPR on for extended periods but this time around, that I did, I encountered this problem. I have read about it before in the forum. This thread is not the first one where it has happened.
    But we do not have a list of known errors we can check before posting and if you do not frequent this forum often you miss a lot of things.

It very well could be WSJT-x, however, this anomaly doesn't happen with other radios.
    Furthermore, when the problem happens a reboot of the Flex fixes the issue without restarting WSJT-x which leads me to believe it is Flex related issue.

Somehow, if the radio stays on for extended periods of time it develops instabilities.

In your use of JT65 and WSPR, have you left the radio for over 24hr on automatic WSPR operation, lets say TX every 10 mins, to see if it develops the problem?

Because a few hours here and there do not seem to cause issues, it doesn't for me.

Finally, I live in Barbados. Any resolution that requires shipping will be a major issue for me. So I try very hard to fix issues myself or live with the problems.

I also understand that the main reason of this forum here is to share our experiences and try to fix the issues, if we all send Support Tickets for every question or issue that we encounter.... what is the point of this forum?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do know the Flex support team does monitor this forum, but only after they have responded to formal support requests.  That was why I  mentioned that it is better to log a support ticket.  

I have the same issue should I have a hardware problem.  I have to send my units back over the border.  There isn't much I can do about it and the cost is expensive.  That is just a fact of life when it comes to dealing with any specialty product.

There are many parts of the audio data flow from WSPR to Windows to DAX to the radio.  All can contribute to the problem.  I'm just trying to look for a common thread.

I have left my 6300 on for weeks at a time, as have others on  the Alpha team.  Other than a few network disconnects, that is it.  I have one of the first 6300's shipped.  I trust it so much, I use it at my remote base.

I'm sure we will get this figured out.  I can't get WSJT-x 1.7 to function on DAX / CAT yet 1.6 works flawlessly.  

I'm sure we will get this sorted out.

Mike va3mw

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    And I hope so too.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Bob,  I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the DAX program was running on more than one computer on my network at the same time.  I have SSDR installed on several computers here at home and you have to remember to turn autostart off on them. 

Every time my wife would start her computer her machine's DAX program would connect to the radio and cause my machines DAX program to stall.  

Cal/N3CAL
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Bob,
       I have seen somthing simulare to that but it was a CAT problem not a DAX  problem..  I use PTT VIA CAT command, and after a period of time( usually overnight) WSJT-X would throw a CAT disconnect error, and then of course not transmission.   I changed the  WSJT-X CAT polling rate to 5 seconds and have not had a problem overnight since... 

AL, K0VM
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2018
    Bob - what corrective actions do you take to resolve the issue?  That will give me a clue as the what is failing.

If starting and stopping the DAX applet solves the problem, then I suspect a DPC issue.
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    It is not the same time each day, there is no TX audio being delivered by DAX after working perfectly for RANDOM amounts of time. This is entirely wired through a switch.
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    I was hoping someone would tell me I was,being **** . I'm trying to get ready for major travel for ionospheric experiments and this includes using WSJT-X
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    It is only on one computer. Thanks!
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    Very good question. At first I thought it was wireless to Maestro and WSJT-X on the computer so I started running SSDR . That didn't fix it. I then thought that it was running through a switch with every port used so I cut it down to the radio and Computer by themselves and that didn't fix it. I'm suspicious that the following reveals something but I don't know what it reveals. It went for a much longer time after I turned off Remote for the audio and used speakers and this remained consistent. I'm lost after trying changing ports, channels, etc.
  • rich
    rich Member
    edited March 2017
    Bob,

You may want to visit the several threads entitled "DAX distortion - JT modes"  (or some such wording) that have been posted here within the last 18months or so [you could also search on my call].  There are descriptions of the various 'steps or phases' of DAX distortion with lots of photos to back up what is being said.  There may be information in these threads that are related to what you are experiencing (please make sure to examine Tim's notes on 'memory leak').

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I am not familiar with wspr but the only way I can manually duplicate your issue in the op is deselect the dax button in the p/cw panel, deselect the tx button in the dax control panel, set the dax tx level to zero in the dax control panel, set the rf power slider to zero  in the tx panel or set the power slider to zero in the wsjt-x window.

Reading Salvador's post it appears wspr can utilize an automatic band switching feature (?). If so is this a persistence issue ? In other words, if such a feature is an option w/in wspr is either the dax button w/in the p/cw panel or the tx button within the dax control panel being deselected during an automatic band change ? Or are the SSDR sliders reverting to different levels (ie zero) during wspr band changes ?

Regardless, your use of wspr has peaked my curiosity and I need to get up to speed on the mode. Plus I hope this gets resolved prior to your travels.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Just a follow-up - Bob and I did some troubleshooting last night and the only corrective action that fixes the problem is a restart of WSJT-X, so it does not look like the issue is related to either CAT, DAX or anything that is happening within the radio itself.  I am doing some more investigation now I know where to start looking....
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for following up Tim. It would be great to find out the issue and maybe Mr. Joe Taylor can look into a code fix for the next stable release.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited September 2018
    Piggy backing off Tim's comment above...

I have not found WSJT-X to be stable for extended periods of time when using WSPR, especially when band hopping is enabled. Maybe 12 hours max before the software hangs on me. This issue has persisted from 1.6 to 1.7 alpha (self compiled) to the publicly distributed 1.7 beta. 
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    Thanks and drat. The detection and estimation and error are much improved and that is disappointing to hear
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited November 2016
    Tim this is asked and answered
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    N4HY - RRR.

I was about to come to the same conclusion as Rob, based on what I have been reading.
  • mark1161
    mark1161 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022

I am having a similar issue where I lose audo, TX & RX, on 40 meters and below. When I restart WSJT-x, the issue normally disappears. I will see an error message from Windows telling me that the USB device is unrecognized on this computer. After seeing that message, I will lose audio from WSJT-x. CAT is unaffected when this happens.

Mark

KK2L

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

If it happens on 40 and 80, try reducing power to 1 watt. If there is no USB disconnect then it is probably RF getting into USB.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.