Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 & DXLab SpotCollector Question

Does anyone have the DXLab SpotCollector "click on spots" feature working correctly with a Flex 6xxx radio? 

I just got a new 6500 after happily being able to "click on spots" with a K3 and DXLab for the past 9 years. The Flex is an amazing radio, but now when I click on SpotCollector spots the Flex doesn't tune to them properly. A click on a spot will bring the Flex will to the correct frequency and at times will select the appropriate Mic profile, but the radio will not select the appropriate transmit profile. I'm using SSDR 1.8.4.84 and the Flex is IP connected to Commander. SmartSDR CAT is not in use. DXlabs is up to date. I've checked with Dave AA6YQ and he told me that according to the SmartSDR documentation, the only way to change your transmit profile or your mic profile is via manual action in SmartSDR (tnx, Dave). 

So, is clicking on SpotCollector spots a "no go" with a 6xxx radio? 

Answers

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    there are actually a few examples of how SSDR ignores/doesn't processes remote control input from apps like this, and N1MM, HRD etc. I have just had to change my logbook to find one that is able to force the correct antenna selection I desire instead of SSDR doing its own thing.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Clif,    I just checked here with a 6700 and clicking on DXLabs "spotcollector" does set up the Flex RX side of the profiles all ok but does NOT appear to set up the TX profile.  The TX profile just remains on the last manually selected profile.    The Flex TX window still reflects the previous manually selected TX profile name, Tune Power and RF Power settings.   Thanks for posting...  I really never noticed that before.  I wonder if the RX  updated info can also refresh the appropriate stored TX profile windows also?
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve - what logbook did you go with? 
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I get the same behavior, apparently whatever command commander sends out addresses mic but not tx profile

73  W9OY
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Last week, I asked here in the Community for info on changing Profiles with FlexLib API commands. using DXLabs Commander to send the command as one of it's User Defined control macro's, I'm still waiting for an answer, too. This thread subject, is why I was asking. Maybe, a good time to **** two birds?
    Last weeks thread ...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smartsdr-command-line-api-and-dxlab-commander

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

edited in the link.

• K1CP--Clif
    K1CP--Clif Member
    edited December 2016
    Jay,

Read your thread with great interest although my understanding of the subject matter is limited. In a recent email, Lee W9OY told me that he thinks Mic profile and TX profile are probably saved as independent data, and in the K3 (my former radio) they were probably saved as linked data and there may be a way to link the two if that's the case. He also mentioned the possibility of an API transmit profile command that is separate from the Mic command as a solution.

73, Clif
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Clif

It may not even be possible using Commander, I'm still interested in some syntax hint's though. FRstack can change the Profile. Which might be helpful.
    I haven't really explored that possibility yet.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Double-clicking on the entry for an active DX station in SpotCollector's Main window will QSY a Flex 6000 to the correct RX and TX frequencies and modes. Many Flex/DXlab users, including me,  employ this capability multiple times each day; none have reported any problems.

Double-clicking on the entry for an active DX station in SpotCollector's Main window does not automatically select a profile, for two reasons:
    1. no one previously requested this capability
    2. the Profile page in the Flex SmartSDR TCP/IP API documentation wiki is empty
    If someone populates it with information that explains how a client application can select a profile, then I'll consider extending Commander to exploit it.

Dave, AA6YQ

• K1CP--Clif
    K1CP--Clif Member
    edited December 2016
    Dave,

I'm surprised no other Flex owners have asked you about this capability. Guess I got spoiled by my previous radio coupled with SpotCollector's "click" feature. It took me to where the action was fast. Now, when I click on a spot I need to reset the transmit profile (I chase DX and frequently use a linear) and often have do the same for the mic profile. Not fast. 

73, Clif

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Cliff, what settings are being switched when you chose a transmit profile? What settings are being switched when you choose a mic profile? How would you expect Commander to know which profile(s) you want automatically activated when you double-click on the entry for an active DX station?

Dave, AA6YQ
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Here's how Profiles are described in my SmartSDR manual:
    Profiles allow the user to name and save the entire state of the radio and recall it later. Profiles can even be exported and restored on another FLEX-6000 Series radio. This facilitates convenient backup and also helps IT managers at DXpeditions or contest super-stations test configurations and then install them or restore them at a site. Individual operators can also save their favorite settings and then after others have operated, restore the state of the radio to where it was.
    There are two types of profiles: GLOBAL and TRANSMIT profiles. Global profiles store the state of the radio including the panadapters and slices that are open, the current modes and all of the settings for noise blanker, AGC, filters, etc. There are also transmit profiles are used to store a profile for a specific microphone configuration.
    Restoring a Global profile seems like something one does after changing operators, changing "operating mode" (e.g. contesting vs. DXing), or when recovering from a failure that corrupted settings. Restoring a Transmit profile seems like something one does after changing microphones.  Why would one want to automatically restore either kind of profile when QSYing from one DX station to another?

Dave, AA6YQ
  • K1CP--Clif
    K1CP--Clif Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Dave,

My transmit profiles are identified by band and mode eg. 12M SSB, 6M WSJT, 160M  CW, etc. For the most part, these are set and switched to provide the correct drive for my linear amp by band and mode. The Mic profiles I'm using are listed as RTTY Default, Heil HC6, PSK31 Default, etc. My global profiles are named by band and mode 10M CW, 10M SSB, etc. What I'd like to see when I clicked on a spot in SpotCollector: the radio would QSY to the spot frequency and then select the correct transmit profile based on the band and mode of the spot (possibly to match the SpotCollector BandModes file). The mic profile would  be set by mode eg. RTTY spots would call up my RTTY Default Mic profile, etc. I realize this is a simplification! Certainly restoring any of the profiles from a saved file does what you say. I think of restoring profiles as reloading saved profiles from a file. However, if one was to swap out a mic it might be easier to select a different mic profile from a list which wouldn't necessarily require restoring it. BTW Dave, I think DXLabs is brilliant and I could not be a more satisfied user.  My single wish is that I could click on a spot and not have to fiddle with the radio just like I used to do with my former radio.

73, Clif

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    On the General tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window, there's a "Sequence after QSY" panel that enables you to specify a user-defined Command Sequence that Commander will execute after SpotCollector initiates a QSY (e.g. when you double-click the entry for an active DX station). You can define a Command Sequence that sets your Flex 6000's RF output power (and other parameters) as a function of the new band and mode. You can also configure Commander to execute this Command Sequence when you QSY by activating a memory, or by clicking one of the Bandspread window's Band buttons. See the descriptions of the IfBand and IfMode commands in Commander's online documentation.

Dave, AA6YQ

• K1CP--Clif
    K1CP--Clif Member
    edited December 2016
    Appreciate the tip, Dave. Thank you.

73, Clif
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Let me know if you need help with the Command Sequence, Clif.

Dave, AA6YQ
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    As usual, Eric KE5DTO quickly responded to a request for a description of the Profile API's syntax and semantics. I've added the information he sent me to the Profile API's Wiki entry.

The Profile Load command can be used to make a specified profile current. This command could be used in the Command Sequence invoked whenever SpotCollector directs Commander to QSY, as described above.

Commander's Message window can be used to test these Profile commands to see how they behave. If you try this and discover any errors or omissions in the Profile API's Wiki entry, please let me know.
  • K1CP--Clif
    K1CP--Clif Member
    edited December 2016
    Glad to read about the update to the Wiki, Dave. Most of this is new territory for me :-).

73, Clif
  • K1CP--Clif
    K1CP--Clif Member
    edited December 2016
    Glad to read about the update to the Wiki, Dave. Most of this is new territory for me :-).

73, Clif

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.