Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any clue on this noise

Mike NN9DD
Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
Looking for guidance as to may be causing this noise. The op is running a 6300 1.8.4 win 10. This QTH is in a new community with close houses in central Arizona. The noise is about 90hz apart and repeating on 20 meters image

Answers

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I often get the same thing on 20m reoccurring closer to 50-60hz across the band. I've yet to find a solution or a source.
    Rick, W2JAZ

• RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Mike,

My first guess is you or a neighbor's air conditioning system has a variable speed fan. anything further will require more detail from you, like does the noise cycle on and off. Hot tub? Swimming pool pump? Good luck finding it. I purchased a direction finding loop that has helped me find my noise sources.

Roy - W5TKZ 
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Check for Solar Panel roofs in your area.. Got the same exact issue here. about 60kh apart. Point my 20m yagi at the house at the corner and up comes the noise.

Barry K6ZA
  • WB5RVZ
    WB5RVZ Member
    edited December 2019
    I had the same thing that I traced to my HVAC outside unit.
    So far, at least I know the source, but not the solution.
  • Stanley Korzep
    edited August 2016
    Mike

Make sure that your home is not the source first.  Note that the spectrum appears to be a narrow signal, not random noise. Although I refer to the signal as "noise", it is not broadband noise.  Switching power supplies are a starting point: Remove the power to your router power supply first. If the noise persists, do same for all other switching supplies in the home: unplug TVs, Radios, telephones, wall warts.... Many innocent devices have internal switching supplies that are suspect. 

If no luck, turn off circuit breakers one room at a time to see if the noise is caused in that room.  Run PC off backup power for your station room.  If possible, remove computer power (this may require a battery powered radio tuned to the noise).

If is not generated in your home and if you have a directional antenna, rotate it to find a null.  If you find a null, the noise is being generated in the direction of the null.  On Yagi antennas (beams) this is the direction perpendicular to the elements.  If you were at the end of one element and looked along the element toward the other end, you are facing  the direction of the noise.  It could be in either direction...the direction you are looking or the direction behind you.

If you have succeeded in finding a null, and your antenna is directional and rotatable, find the direction where the noise is strongest.  That will be broadside to the elements and coming from the direction looking broadside from the longest element to the shortest element.

If you have identified the direction of the noise, use a portable radio preferably with a directional antenna to move in the direction of the noise to find the location where it is strongest.  This is best done with a radio having a visual (meter) indicator of the noise amplitude.

If you have gotten this far, you are on the right track if the noise is being radiated from outside your house, but you probably will need a radio equipped for "fox hunting" and a bit of "Elmer" assistance to continue.

Another approach, not quite so effective is to identify when the noise is present and absent, if the noise changes frequency,  changes amplitude,  is periodic, goes away for periods of time, goes away over night,...  These clues are useful in identifying what type of device is operational in that fashion.

Good luck, Mike. I hope you were able to stop at the first paragraph.

Stan W8NNX

• RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    WB5RVZ,

For your info, There is an article titled "A Tale of Two Air Conditioners" in the August 2016 edition of QST Magazine. This might give you some information on a solution.

Roy - W5TKZ
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks to all who have provided comments. This is my fathers QTH I suspected he would have challenges and there are a lot of AC and Solar around as it is Arizona. I guess I have some reading to do to help him out Mike
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Try to find someone with a portable SW receiver like a Sony ICF-SW7600G. Tune it to the interference and check that it is hearing the same noise as the Flex display. Then do some walking/ sniffing with the portable's whip antenna. When you get close you'll know it hi hi   Portable SW receiver is one the best RFI sniffers a ham can have.  Also, watch the timing of the interference. A/C units cycle. that's how I found my external A/C fan noise.  And BTW, watch those modern washing machines, I have severe noise on wash day.
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    It turned out to be a bad power supply connected to radio. Switched it out all is better Thanks all Mike N9DFD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.