Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro network issues

Rick Hadley - W0FG
Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Maestro
With the advent of SSDR for iOS, I decided to move the Maestro down into the shack for use as my main control interface with the 6500.  Not wanting to deal with WiFI issues, I cabled it directly into my Netgear R6400 router, along with my main desktop PC and the Flex.  In spite of it being directly connected I keep seeing mostly Fair to Poor network connections, in spite of the fact the SSDR for Windows on the PC has never failed to show anything other than an excellent quality connection.  Any ideas on what could be causing this?  

Rick, W0FG

Comments

• jacquesbarmentloo
    jacquesbarmentloo Member
    edited August 2016
    Same problem here. dropped packeds, ping lower then 1 ms.... I am back on 5g wifi now..that better than Ethernet for now. Jacques PA2JAC
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I would check the cable, either its not plugged in well or its defective. Usually problems are caused by the cheapest components, not the most expensive (even though its human nature to think so!)

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Rick

There is a lot of discussion on this in this community.  The short fix is that you'll find you have issues on 2.4ghz wifi, so if you can switch to 5ghz, that helps.  Also, newer routers are worse than older routers it seams.   Using your Maestro is like streaming video.  :)   if there are a lot of 2.4ghz wifi signals around, you'll have to deal with the congestion they cause as well.  Another reason to move to 5ghz (you'll need a dual band access point).

For the time being, reduce your waterfall updates (under the display menu - bottom left) and see if that helps.  

I have been testing some TCP/IP over AC (house wiring) by TP-Link.  They have allowed me to put new Wifi access points in weak areas without pulling CAT 5 and they work very well.  I have not notice any HF noise on them.  https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Extender-Powerline-Wireless-TL-WPA4220KIT/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=pd_sim_sb... ... this is one example.

Mike va3mw

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited February 2018
    I've tried 3 cables with the same results.  UPDATE.  I swapped positions of the cable for the Maestro and the one for my laser printer and so far I'm back to 'green'.  Maybe there's a flaky connection in the router, but the printer still seems to work.  Will continue to monitor the situation.

Rick, W0FG
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Rick,  I am so sorry.  I just re-read 'carefully' what you wrote.  :)  My apologies.  I also reviewed your profile.  Very impressive on what you have been part of.  Could it be a bad port ?
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rick,
       Does a direct radio <> Mastro cable work ??
    AL, K0VM
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Not all hardware routers are the same, as Flex has told us.

One possible issue is that Maestro and the 6000 will autonegotiate a 1Gb/s speed if they can, but the router and/or cabling may not be good enough to sustain the high speed with low error rate.  I fixed my installation by putting in an older/cheaper 100 Mb/s switch for the radio and Maestro.  That reduced error counts to zero.

It would be helpful if we had the option to manually lower the Ethernet rate.

73 Martin AA6E
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I was about ready to write a similar post.  My Maestro (which was recently serviced by FRS) is operating in the WiFi mode, but I notice the signal strength varies from barely getting a signal (single bar) to full green, back and forth, even with the Maestro located only 20 feet (line of sight) from my Router.  All my other WiFi devices (iPad's, Smart Phones, TV, etc) work perfect via my WiFi/Router.  What gives? 
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I did the same, added a 100mbs switch off a port on the gb switch just for flex and maestro and it solved the problem.. All green bars and not a dropped packet. 73. Wayne. VK4ACN
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Maestro's WiFi bars don't seem to reflect signal strength like other devices do.  They are related to the error count.  I see a burst of errors that reduces the bars to zero, and then the bars creep up over time to full green if there are no more errors.  It seems to reflect the actual error counts you can see on the Network menu.  A weak signal will produce more errors, but errors may come in from other sources too -- like a poorly performing router.  Read the Flex memo on this.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Have a look at the previous discussions and Tim's comments.  The bars are not related to signal strength but related to the occasional dropped packet.

I can be line of site to my AP in my apartment (6 ft) on 2.4Ghz Wifi and not able use it at all due to all the 2.4Ghz noise.  This is well understood and discussed.  There are only 3 wifi channels, 1, 6 and 11.  Why you ask?  The Wifi channels are actually wider.  As an example ch. 6 uses channels 4,5,6,7, and 8.  And, that is for a 20Mhz channel.

Short story, get off 2.4Ghz.  :)  The bandwidth just is not always there.  

Mike va3mw

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    edited August 2016
    Haven't tried that, Al, but after moving the cables in the router it's stayed solid, so I'm hoping that was all it was.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

One thing that can be done is to eliminate using the R6400's ports (aside from the one needed to go to the switch), use a quality gigabit switch. I upgraded my main switch to the Netgear GSS116E, very fast and stable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122672&cm_re=Netgear_ProSafe_GSS116E-_-...image

My R6700 wireless to the Maestro is fast and stable anywhere in my relatively small 1700sqft 3 story house (including the basement where the R6700 is) and upstairs I get full strength green and rarely above 4ms, most of the time it shows 1ms. Wired to my switch it's almost always <1ms, I may see it jump to 4ms.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Going to 5GHZ doesn't always fix the issue.  On my new Asus router, 5Ghz is not usable on the Maestro.  My older Netgear router runs my Maestro very well on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and I have 6 cameras around my house running on 2.4Ghz.  2.4Ghz is only an issue if your area is saturated with 2.4Ghz signals.  I work in a high rise in Tampa and there are dozens of 2.4Ghz routers so that would definitely be an issue if you lived in that kind of environment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.