Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What microphone recommendations for maestro?

Tony C kc2dis
Tony C kc2dis Member
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I have seen a couple of threads on this topic and am still a little confused. I am not familiar with wiring standards such as TRRS and TRS etc... so please keep this in mind when reading the rest of the post. I wound up ordering the connector for my hand mic that came with the flex 6500 but frankly... I think it leaves a great deal to be desired and so I am now in the process of looking for other microphone options for my Maestro. I have an old dynamic microphone with a 1/4 mono plug and an on and off switch. My plan was to use the supplied adapter with the Maestro on vox and use the on and off switch as a key.. When i did this, the rig went into immediate transmit. So I figured the adapter was wrong. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms what kind of adapter I would need for this dynamic microphone OR make specific recommendations on a microphone connection for the mic1 or mic2 inputs other than the FHM-1 hand mic and adapter? I am sure I can do better. I am just not understanding something here. Why flex did not include a usb port for a mic I will never know. That would have been convenient for me. What are my options here (without having to get out the soldering iron! LOL) Thanks everyone. Tony (KC2DIS)

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hi Tony,

While not an inexpensive solution, I use the RadioSport RS-60CF headset with M350 electret condenser element. It is using the cable designed for the Maestro which has dual 3.5 mm right angle plugs which connect to mic2 and phones jacks.

I agree the Flex hand mic is very poor in comparison.

Dave wo2x

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I find having a hand mic convenient with the Maestro.

My solution was to improve the Flex hand mic by replacing the dynamic element with an electret element.

I bought the electret element on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=152019599810&view=all&tid=1430...

Pack of 10 so I can use them for other projects. I wanted a 600ohm element but couldn't find it so I had to do with this high ohm valued ones.

Then all you need is a small resistor and a capacitor.

The Flex microphone is slightly different, the + and - for the MIC are very close to the switch instead of on the side like in the above picture. The 5v is in the same pin as in the pic above. I tested it just to make sure. 

This diagram explains it better.

I used different values for the resistor and the capacitor. Resistor I found the closest one to 8.2k in my spare parts box and for the capacitor I used a 100nF which worked better with my voice and the eBay electret element.

I also put 2 electret elements in parallel to increase gain.

It works great!! It takes 5 minutes to do and you might even have the parts laying around.

• Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    Thanks I had considered replacing the element but am now thinking along the lines of buying a headset
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Maybe the engineers at Flex might be interested in installing a microphone directly into the Maestro? 

Here's a candidate device:  http://vespermems.com/products/vm1000/

Here's where I learned about the product: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2016/12/09/amazon-part-of-15m-investment-in-boston-audio.html

FWIW - For what it's worth.

• Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    Rather than continually purchasing micrphones or constantly rewiring them, I just make adapter cables with an 8-pin Foster connector at one end to match my W2IHY EQPlus processor and then wire whatever plug I need to the other end to match whatever the radio of the month (or year) happens to be.  The mic wiring remains unchanged, a Kenwood MC-90 dynamic desk mic, which I happen to like.
  • henrylance
    henrylance Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Someone gave me one of these the other day, and it works great, people say it sounds just like me.  Give it a try,  I'll be glad to set up a sked with you so you can hear it.  By the way, no RF problems so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081A2CW/ref=pe_2602570_270154300_em_1p_0_ti
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    Also in answer to part of your original question...
    The term "TRS" refers to tip-ring-sleeve of the microphone (or headset) plug (or jack).  TRRS thus means tip, ring-1, ring-2 and sleeve. Starting from the end (tip) of the plug. A good example of a TRRS plug is like that which is on the end of your iPhone/iPad ear buds.  A typical Morse straight key will be wired with only a Tip and Sleeve plug, written as TS.  And different sizes (diameters) of course.  A std. 1/4" plug is also sometimes written as a 6.5mm plug and 3.5mm to represent the 1/8" plug.  Hope this helps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.