Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using SSDR with a Tablet Computer

Craig Gagner
Craig Gagner Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Any of you fellow Flex users have expeirence using a tablet type computer like a Surface or what have you with SSDR? I would like to use my Flex in a more portable fashion. Any suggestions would be great. Craig, kg7ncf

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Since SSDR is "just" a client app, it doesn't need huge horsepower. Good network connectivity is a must, and reasonable graphics. I've used it on a Dell tablet with reasonable results. It's not really touch optimized, so a small mouse might be helpful. Of course, the iPad app is very optimized for the tablet and kicks some serious ****! I'm working phone and CW from the sofa with ease.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I agree. That IOS software is a veritable masterpiece.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I use a Surface Pro 2 8GB RAM and works great. I can be docked with large monitors undock and work contacts from the living room or patio.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I run it perfectly on a Surface Pro 3, SurfaceBook (in tablet mode), and on two super cheap slow Atom TW 700 WinBooks (Discontinued) from MicroCenter.   I was doubtful I'd get it to work on these slow $59 tablets, but it did!  I also shoehorned Win10 on them during the upgrade window.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Craig,
    Toshiba Encore 8 tablet runs SSDRfW well. Similar specs to the Dell Venue 8 that is in the Maestro.
    Win10 is a good fit but the mic input gain is low. So you need a high output mic, my Sony headphones with microphone work well.
    Andrew VK5CV

• Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Craig,

I use a newly released Acer Alpha Switch 12 (2 in 1 tablet). It's basically a Surface Pro 4 knock-off and has performed far beyond my expectations for half the price. It has two USB ports (one is USB-C), which offers excellent connectivity without the need for a docking station. Also, it is fanless and silent with liquid cooling.  Using OpenVPN to access a Flex 6500 via Internet (WAN), the Acer runs all the software that I employ on my desktop computer in the shack, including DX Labs Suite, DDUtil, FLdigi along with an e-mail client, browser and several other apps.  Shown here slipped into a homebrew, adjustable, acrylic laptop stand with a Bluetooth mouse and Flex Control:

So far it has been nearly flawless, but time will tell if it is truly reliable or just another piece of junk.

Good luck and 73,
    Larry KB1VFU

• Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I just picked up a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a 4K screen.  I've always felt screen real estate on most  laptops was cramped, especially running SSDR. But with this laptop I can easily fit SSDR, a logging program, and a digital mode app on the screen fairly easily. It's a touch screen and convertible tablet on top of all that.  Very happy operator. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    What model did you get.
  • Craig Gagner
    Craig Gagner Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks a bunch Flex Community, 73 de kg7ncf
  • Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve,  It's a P55W C5208X 4K.  It was a refurb.  I'll throw in a screen shot of what I had on the display over the weekend. And that's not even the highest resolution.image
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    So, if you are running high end tablets, like a fully loaded-up/completely decked-out Surface Pro 4, and the current Apple iPad Pro 12.9 incher, making a direct, head-to-head comparison, is there any advantage to the "experience" of one or the other? I realize this gets into 3 million+ nuances of differences of Windoz vs/ iOS, etc. But, given "it is what it is," does anyone have experience operating a Flex 6700 with both of these tablets, and can recommend using one vs/ the other, or is it virtually a wash? BTW, in extrapolating forward, do you anticipate any change of opinion on this head-to-head comparison, once WAN is available, since we are now using VPN to make this work outside of our watering holes?
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

With you on this also Larry.

My question would be battery life on either  tablet?

Also the Ipad 12.9 spilt screen mode vs window multi-screen for ease of logging?

Undecided here as well. Still waiting on the Ah ha moment to kick in that I (need) one or the other vs (want).

:)

73 Jeff

• John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited December 2016
    I have often run my Flex station remotely using a first general Dell Venue 8 tablet without issues.
    I have also run it with a HDMI Stick PC plugged directly into a 55 in TV like this one.  https://jet.com/product/detail/fe69bc233ec44f7c9238e65c7d6d8f49?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_electronics_a2:comp...

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I was going to mention the Dell Maestro but did not for fear of retribution.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    But then you did. :-O

Seriously, the Maestro does not run SmartSDR for Windows.  The Maestro runs a purpose built version of SmartSDR for touch devices that integrates with the custom control boards.  It really isn't a realistic comparison.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    4K @ 15" native resolution = 

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Microsoft Surface works well for this.  I have one and use it some.  It can run SSDR and other programs at the same time including all the digital mode interfaces etc.

While it is possible to detach the keyboard and use the surface as a tablet and all of the above stuff runs I personally find the on screen keyboard to be difficult to use for ham purposes.  Also SSDR that runs on a PC as has been stated is really not optimized for touch interface so I keep the keyboard and trackpad attached and running.

It works very well.  At night if I want to listen to my flex I will sometimes either use the surface detached as a tablet and just fight with the interface or I'll take my iPad Mini and run Stan's software which works great.

I have the iOS software on it but not much experience with it.
  • Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ha, awesome!  That meme really sums it up, actually. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.