Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

controlling dax without control panel

Jim Shaffer
Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR API

I have a standalone application for controlling the Flex 6000 series.  I have been unable to figure out how to control the audio output from the radio such that it plays through the PC's audio device without having the DAX control panel running.  Obviously there's some fundamentals here I don't understand.  Can anyone help?

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Remote button top right in Smart SDR will play audio through pc
  • Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    As mentioned, I'm using a standalone application, not SmartSDR.  I want to control playing audio from my standalone app.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Jim,

The radio has a number of different kinds of "audio" that can be sent out.

The first and probably the simplest is the regular receiver audio that Steven mentions can be turned on using the "Remote" button in SSDR.    The way this works is you send the TCP command "
    remote_audio rx_on 1".

Sending this command over the TCP control channel to the radio will have it start sending OPUS audio packets over UDP.  You'll need to decode these opus packets and send them to an audio device.

It is not a trivial task but it could be done.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I changed the category to an API issue to get better visibility by SmartSDR developers.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    DAX audio is for digital mode applications.  There is also remote audio which is what I think you want.  It is a different protocol and is compressed for best LAN/WAN bandwidth usage.  It requires the use of the open source Opus codec software to function.  If you agree that this is what you are trying to do, we should be able to point you in the direction of documentation that will help you get started.
  • Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Steve, yes, that's what I want to do.

• Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I guess what I need to do is to convert an opus stream to a wav format stream.  Then I could just send it to the SoundPlayer facility.  Has anyone successfully built code to decode an opus stream in Visual Studio?  If so, how'd you do it?  I've tried various things, none of which have worked.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Jim - DAX does not use the Opus codec; only Remote audio uses Opus.  DAX is sent in an uncompressed format so that it is lossless.
  • Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ok, I understood that.  I think we need to put this to rest.  What I want to do is to provide remote audio capability with my standalone app, so I was incorrect to associate that with DAX in the first place.  I am interested in remote audio.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Decoding Opus data isa PITA. You'll need libopus, but you probably know that. I haven't done it my myself... Though I briefly looked at the Opus API and decided that I didn't want to write a program to retrieve the remote audio,all that badly, There's a "si,ple" example at http://git.xiph.org/?p=opus.git;a=blob;f=doc/trivial_example.c Hope that helps some... Peter K1PGV
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I recommend sending an e-mail to devhelp@flexradio.com to ask how to get started.
  • Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Ok.  I'm getting back to this.  I decided to use the opusfile functions documented at https://opus-codec.org/docs/opusfile_api-0.7/index.html.  I downloaded opusfile-v0.9-win32 package and included them in my project.  However, when I reference a function in libopusfile, I get the error 0x8007000B, SystemBadImageFormatException.  It doesn't matter whether I build for x86 or any cpu.

I'm clueless at this point.  Has anyone been able to use opus, especially opusfile?

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Usually the BadImageFormat exception does indeed relate to the Platform Target setting (x86, x64, Any CPU, etc).  We use x86 in FlexLib and SmartSDR due to compatibility issues with various libraries.  Note that all of your libraries need to match format.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.