Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interesting ADC News

Doug Hall
Doug Hall Member ✭✭
It appears that Analog Devices is buying Linear Technology, maker of the ADCs used in many direct sampling SDRs including the Flex. Both companies have fairly broad portfolios, but LTC seems to have captured a greater market share in the SDR space. Linear Tech stock was up almost 30% following the announcement.

This seems to be a trend in recent years - semiconductor companies buying rivals in order to better compete. A few years ago TI bought National Semiconductor, and earlier this year Microchip (maker of the PIC micro) bought out Atmel (maker of the AVR used in the Arduino) and Avago bought Broadcom. I read somewhere that semiconductor mergers were at an all-tme high in 2015. There were rumors earlier this year about Xilinx (makers of the FPGAs used in many SDRs) being acquired as well.

I don't think the ADI-LTC merger is a bad thing, just interesting.
Doug K4DSP

Answers

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    "Linear Tech stock was up almost 30% following the announcement." I could have used that on my portfolio! LOL
    Thanks for the info.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Intel now owns Altera who's chips are also used in some great sdr rigs. Makes me wonder how long it will be until two companies buy up all the others.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Softbank (Japan)  recently bought Arm Holdings (UK).  Arm-H holds the IP for Arm CPUs that are used by the train load throughout the world. All smartphones / IoT / etc have ARM based processors.
    Dollars to donuts there is an ARM cpu in the 6k / Maestro someplace.

Tim

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

The FLEX-6000 Signature Series incorporates a Xilinx® Virtex®-6 field programmable gate array (FPGA) that performs all digital up and down conversion for spectral analysis.  The FPGA works in tandem with a Texas Instruments™ DaVinci™  Digital Media Processor that includes a 1.4 GHz (1.2 GHz on FLEX-6500) ARM Cortex™-A8 CPU with NEON™ floating point coprocessor.  It also includes a 1.2 GHz (1.0 GHz on FLEX-6500), 32-bit floating point DSP coprocessor.  The CPU incorporates 512 MB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 1 Gbps Ethernet port and two USB 2.0 communication ports.

• Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    What's in the 6300?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.