Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A plea for Global Profiles to remember screen layout

Ron Parsons
Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
Because of my operation mode, I change Global Profiles often. Profiles save many of the system parameters but not the screen geometry. My most common screen arrangement is with two panadapters, each with one slice. The top panadapter occupies about 1/4 of the window height and contains the TX slice. The bottom panadapter occupies about 3/4 of the window height and contains the RX slice. 

But when the Profile is changed to another Profile with similar functionality but different parameters, the screen arrangement usually changes to a very different screen arrangement. So I have to rearrange the panadapter positions and sizes.

It is certainly possible to remember the screen arrangement at the time the Profile is saved. But it currently is not.

Now that Maestro is out, I believe it is time to schedule this update for near-time release.

Comments

• Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited July 2016
    I find my operating style would benefit from this also being a part of the/a Profile setting/s.
    Mike
    NA5U, K5D, K1N, W5NWR
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Ditto here, It would be very nice have Global Profiles remember screen layout info.

Dave W0DHB

• Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    This would be very helpful in several circumstances I encounter often. I hope it's on the schedule. Rick, W2JAZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    As part of the client-server architecture of the radio, GUI parameters are not saved as radio state data (profiles).
  • Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited May 2020
    Tim,
    Understood but could a software change be incorporated to provide that?
    Mike
    NA5U, K5D, K1N, W5NWR
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Not in the profiles. There can be many different GUI clients and each one would need to maintain their own state data locally.  The radio is the wrong place for storing it.
  • lyndy brannen
    lyndy brannen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Is it possible to store GUI parameters on the client side? This really is an aggravation.
  • Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Tim, I would guess SmartSDR for Windows is the client used my the vast majority of our users. Surely there is some way to save this data in the "default" client.  

I agree with Lyndy "This really is an aggravation."

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like time for a display / layout profile" that is stored client-side. This is a client-side presentation issue (SSDR for Windows and Maestro) . It does not need to be stored on the radio which would not be the actual end-point anyway.

Something like the way HRD or N1MM+ does it would be good.

The way screens layouts are used/presented varies considerably depending upon the users mode of operation, i.e. contesting, chasing DX, datamodes etc.

For me not a priority, but a nice to have.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Ron - I never said there wasn't a way to do it (it is just a SMOP).  The point I was making is that Global Profiles, a server-side process, is not the way to store client-side state information.  Your idea has merit, but the manner in which you want it implemented is problematic. 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This reality now with new clients is that there are different operating situations, using a PC in the shack, a Maestro, a remote laptop, whatever client. Storing things like GUI setting in Global Profiles seems the easiest place from an operational aspect, but if it can't be done on the server side then ok. A solution needs to be found, then perhaps can a new Global Maestro Profiles be added to the Maestro code where it grabs the current global profile and integrates with GUI and other Maestro (client side) settings and stored on the client.

• Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Tim, I never meant to imply a method for implementation, just a specific, high-population client for which the Global Profile screen arrangement could be saved.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I read the title as you wanted Global Profiles to store and recall GUI (client-side) state parameters.  I was just setting your expectation that these parameters would probably not be stored in the Global Profiles.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.