Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro WiFi on “Hidden” networks

David Shaw
David Shaw Member
edited July 2018 in Maestro
I often operate in areas with lots of WiFi networks, and one thing I like to do in order to improve security is to switch off “Enable SSID Broadcast” at the access point.

I have to re-enable SSID Broadcast every time I use Maestro.  When I do it is flawless and remembers my network name, password and re-connects great.  If I do not then it will not re-connect at all.  Even if I just disable the SSID Broadcast while already connected, Maestro drops the WiFi.

This used to happen on my regular laptops too.  On Windows 10 there is a setting in network settings for “reconnect automatically even to when network is hidden.”  Is there something similar in Maestro?

I suggest that this might be a more useful default setting on Maestro.  I honestly don’t know why the default on Windows 10 is not to reconnect automatically to a hidden network.

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This is a valid ask.  

However, hiding an SSID doesn't slow down those that really know how to connect or hack a network.    WPA2 to date is not been hacked.

Now, creating a Wifi man in the middle is an entire other story.

Mike va3mw

• K1VL
    K1VL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Shutting of broadcasts for an SSID will not prevent your network from being found. It's literally child's play to find a "hidden" wireless network. Also, MAC address security is equally weak due to the simple ability to spoof a MAC. I would agree that WPA2 Personal with a long alphanumeric password is the best way to go. Carmine W1EQX
  • David Shaw
    David Shaw Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks, Mike and Carmine -- I completely agree, shutting off SSID broadcast is no remedy for a sophisticated "hacker".  I do suggest that it is definitely a good measure against "Wardriving" or casual network hijacking -- if I can just slow them down, they'll try another network, right?

My main question is, why not just let a previously connected WiFi network connect, even if hidden?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    David, to answer your question, no, there isn't an option to “reconnect automatically even to when network is hidden.”

And I have to agree 100% with Carmine about hiding BSSIDs.  It provides no added security and someone trying to find your network will do so because they are using the tools to see your APs anyway.  WPA2 with a strong pre-shared key is what is required to secure your network.  You can do MAC filter for a little added extra amount of security, but MAC spoofing is too easy to do too.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    David, as the Maestro is essentially just a Dell Venue 8 tablet running Windows 8/8.1 then you might want to look on the wider PC/networking forums for the answer. Almost every W10 machine would take care of this without hesitation, assuming the correct drivers are installed.

Actually, that raises an interesting question: is the O/S on Maestro upgradable, or will it be locked to W8 forever?   The support life cycle of W8 would not be a go-signal to buy one. Check it here:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle?C2=16796
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    David,

Perfectly do-able in W8 simply by adding a wireless network manually instead of using the auto-detect method. This should solve your issue, assuming FRS have not locked you out of the O/S.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-connect-hidden-wireless-networks-windows-8

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.