Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Status / info panel

Steve G1XOW
Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in New Ideas
Recently in another thread Ken NM9P suggested an information panel to show the basic performance status of the F6k hardware.

The idea included valuable status info in digital form, such as power supply input voltage, power out, SWR, Reflected Power, TX active status, Which slice is active, which slice is set to TX, etc. And, optional click-boxes to activate a red flashing warning such as SWR shut down, TX Inhibit active when attempting to transmit, low power supply voltage, etc.

Ideally this info panel should be presented to the user as a panel on the side jusrt like the EQ panel (which incidentally most people don't use much once the Mic has been setup correctly). I can foresee a few more panels like this in the future (CAT/DAX maybe) so a good idea to allow a pick-and-mix selection of what panels the user prefers to see for match his own mode/preference of operation.

This same basic information has been needed on a couple of threads recently, and just today about the F6500 lacking TX output power. Yes, I know DDUTIL can give some of this info, but many people have no need to install DDUTIL so surely this "core hardware" info panel should be part of the "core software"?

Please like this topic if you want to see it get some attention in the development plan at some point.

73 de Steve G1XOW

Comments

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    all very nice but would like the basics  sorted first, Proper functioning FM, Duplex TX frequency readout, Alpha tagging, grouped memory banks, etc..etc
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Virtually everything you are asking for is already there in the Flexmeter APP
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    But he does have a point. Everything that is not in SmartSDR is also not available on Maestro. 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Until we get this one day FRStack does (almost) all.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    well until now i had never heard of stacks,  ( new to flex) looks handy. but would like smartSDR to have all this .. and more, after all i paid top price, i should get top software as well as hardware..
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Steve,

We all have our passions for features. Without knowing what will be given up for this feature to be added It's hard to make a choice. So I can't vote without knowing where this would land in the priority list. If this takes priority over fixes for Diversity audio issues or WAN capability than I would vote no. 

In my working life we always had our customers participate in that process and assigned priorities to these Enhancements/Bug fixes than schedule for a particular build. Without that knowledge, its hard to make a choice.

Jim

ka7gzr

• G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    Guys,

I think some are kinda missing the point here.

Yes DDUTIL does some bits, FRStack does some bits, flexmeter does some bits. All handie apps to some folks. But none of those applets are core need (a core need = something that every ham should have immediate heads-up awareness of regardless of their operating mode, or the use of, stacks, meters, amps via ddutil etc.  None of those nice applets should be necessary to use the radio....well...like a radio!    

The counter position is like telling the new car buyer that they have to buy a trailer before they get to see the instrument panel / dashboard, i.e. a bolt-on extra where it should rightfully be expect to be build-in as standard.

Evidently all the data is already available via APIs, otherwise these applets would not get the data so easily. All I am suggesting is pulling them data in to one small simple info panel that is part of SSDR.

This would also make self-help easier and less problems raised to FRS.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi Jim,

It shouldn't have to be a choice really. Its not like this is the most burning issues on the planet. I'm pretty sure we're not going to influence the priorities of FRS who obviously work to their own undisclosed plan.

What I am simply suggesting at this stage is that it should be on the dev-list (somewhere, but who knows where or when?).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.