Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DDUtil & Expert 2K-FA Amp Problem with Amp Window

Morrie
Morrie Member
edited November 2019 in Third-Party Software
I am running DDUtil The Expert 2K-FA Amp. For the passive listener, I am using Serial Port 7.  Steve's instructions indicate that I must also enter that port 7 into the 2K-FA AMP setup port.  This results in error indicting that the same port cannot be used both places even though his instructions indicate that I must do that.  Has anybody else found the cure of this? So, I can't remote control the amp with DDUtil.  The band switch follows the Flex 6500 ok.

Answers

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have a SPE 1.3k FA amp; I connect the USB cable to PC to control amp settings or you could use front panel instead. I use FTDI cable connected between Amp A connector and PC USB. I then use SmartCAT configured to serial port created by FTDI cable. No other software is required. Amp A is configured to Flex. Amp B is set to Icom for my IC9100.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

My 2K-FA works perfectly with DDUTIL..

So best guess .. you have an error in your setup

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/spe-expert-amp-support-ddutil-v32200-available 

Suggest that post screen shots of the setup tabs in DDUTIL and a screen shot of Device Manager showing all your ports.

You need a physical serial port connected as a Passive Listener

And a USB cable/port

Also double check your firmware version in 2K-FA

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DDUTIL gives you the ability to turn the amp on and off and change settings.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the input. I use the app that came with Amp since it lets me configure all Amp settings via RDP if needed.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

DDUTIL also works with RDP plus it controls antennas, amps, wattmeters, etc.

Much more useful than the SPE App

• Morrie
    Morrie Member
    edited July 2016
    Howard, I have use DDUtil for the very beginning! I know Steve very well! The problem is that per the DDUtil instructions for The Amp setup, 3.2.2 REMOTE COMMANDS: Set the serial port to the port where the cable is connected.  AND then, setup for DDUtil 4.0:  Set the amp for the Remote Commands to the serial port connected to the Amp... Read those 2 sections of DDUtil and you will see that you are connection 2 devices to 1 port and that causes an error (You Can't Do That!) Thanks, Morrie, W8FF
  • Morrie
    Morrie Member
    edited July 2016
    Howard, what ports are you using in Passive listener and your amp setup.  I have had this working for months and the other day lighting hit and took out my computer.  Everything else works.  I an using a different computer now. I use the USB cable for remote commands.  I have tried a different one.  Passive Listener works fine and the amp follows the radio.  Thanks, Morrie, W8FF

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Here Are SCREEN SHOTS

1. Device Manager  - I have 5 physical serial Ports and a number of physical USB ports

Serial Port 5 is dedicated as a Passive Listener

USB Port 33 is the USB Port

2.  AMPS Tab

3.  Autodrive Tab

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Do not use the passive listener. You don't need it.
  • Morrie
    Morrie Member
    edited July 2016
    Howard, thanks for the info.  For the Passive listener to follow the radio you must have the special cable with the 15 pin (DB15M) connected to connected to port 5.  What cable do you connected to Port33?  Thanks, Morrie, W8FF
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Port 33 is the USB cable Connection.  I set the Port # to 33 in device manager so that it would not conflict with any of the regular serial ports.

My Port #5 is the Serial Port DB9 to DB15M as detailed by Steve at:

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=SPE_1.3/2K

Cat (DB15M)             PC (DB9F)
    ---------------------------------
    TX232 / 9 >----->-----> 2 / RX PC
    RX232 / 1 <-----<-----< 3 / TX PC
      Gnd / 4 ----------------- 5 / Gnd

• Morrie
    Morrie Member
    edited July 2016
    Howard, I found want the problem is.  I was unplugging USB devices to identify the port numbers and discovered that the USB port on the amp apparently is not working.
    Good grief!.  I should have noticed that earlier.  I guess i will have to send it back for service.  You are great help.  Thanks, so very much. Morrie, W8FF
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Have you tried running the "Term" software that came with the SPE AMP?
    Have you look at the Windows Device Manager's device list before and after plugging in AMP's USB cable?
    You should see a USB Serial Converter and a USB Serial Port appear after connecting the USB cable to the AMP. The USB Serial Port name will also contain the assignment (like COM6).
    Have you tried a different USB cable?
    Let me know if you would like me to take a look at your system with you using TeamViewer
    http://www.radio-ham.eu/download/2kfa... 73
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Have you guys tried to NOT use the Passive Listener? It works for me.... am I the only one?
  • Mike_W7TUS
    Mike_W7TUS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Just after I got my 2K-FA I found the USB port wasn’t working.  I’m pretty sure it was the result of a lightning strike that also damaged some other equipment.  After several chats with Bob Hardie (W5UQ) at Expert Linears America he shipped me the appropriate board and I replaced it.  I worked carefully and took pictures as I went along.  No soldering was involved.  It probably took me about an hour from start to finish.  The 2K-FA was designed to be worked on.   The USB port has worked perfectly ever since.  MUCH better than trying to get that beast packed up and shipped.  I did return the original USB board to Bob. 

• VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited December 2016

Hello Mark, This is Marc, VE2MBT, i'll try tonight the TERM software, if it dosent work and if it's OK with you, i would really appreciate if you can connect with Team Viewer. i'am not far for it to work but... but still some functions are NOT working !!! AMP follow the radio, but i CAN'T get the autodrive to work !!! i have programmed 10 watt on the amplifier drive to play safe on my dummy load but as soon as i press OPERATE ( on the linear as it dosent work from the computer ) the flex jump to 60 watts and there is nothing i can do, if i move the slide on the flex, it return back to 60 watts. So only few think like that dosent work !!! operate, low mid high etc... are NOT working from the computer, only from the amp.  Thank's respectfully, Marc VE2MBT

• John-K3MA
    John-K3MA Member
    edited December 2016
    No, I have been running my 1.3K for 9 months with no Passive Listener without issues.  80% of my operating is from a remote location so I need it to work without problems.
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Send me your information via my email address on QRZ.COM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.