Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Forcing Maestro to use 5Ghz WiFi

SteveW
SteveW Member
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I am using the Maestro over Wi-Fi along with my 6700. There seems to be busy periods when the Wi-Fi struggles to keep up with Maetro's demand for a constant data stream. Is there a way to force the Maestro to use the 5Ghz. band in my router and stop competing for room at 2.4Ghz?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    If your 5 GHz wifi has a different SSID than the 2.4 GHz radio, connect to that.  If you use the same SSIDs for both and they do not show up as separate SSIDs in the chooser, then the 2.4 GHz will take precedence.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The best way to solve this is to give your 5GHz SSID a different name than your 2Ghz SSID.  As in "mywifi-2g" and "mywifi-5g".

Then, pick the one you want from the Wifi chooser.

Mike va3mw

• Hector XE2K
    Hector XE2K Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Steve
    I have many interpretations for  STRUGGLES to keep up Maestro's demand
    my advice is check  the channel of your Router in 5 Ghz, select a free channel and remove
    the automatic, fix channel, 
    use that connection only for the Maestro and delete all the others in your house from the maestro
    note, if you have others wireless devices running in your wifi like cameras, IP devices  like phones, TVs etc  that create some delays in that WIFI network.
    if you can check your traffic  you notice the use of each wifi AP from your router.
    5 GHZ will provide MUCH LESS COVERAGE in your house or back yard remember that
    GL de XE2K
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    As well as the above, can you check your wifi strength? If it is low, it can have a beast of a time with  the data rate. If you don't have a good way, find someone with a tablet - there are lots of wifi analyzers for them.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Another issue is crowded WiFi bands.  If you live in a typical suburban area, you'd be surprise how tough of a job your WiFi network card has in maintaining a stream because of the radio traffic on the WiFi allocated frequencies.   I use a utility call InSSIDer to show me all the WiFi routers that my computer can pickup and it shows what channel that they are operating on.  I can then select the channel that will have the least collisions.  I highly recommend this utility.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016
    I use that utility as well, works great.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Me too
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Just installed it. Moved wifi to an unused channel and working much better.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It must be an Android app.  I don't find it on my iPad store.
    Any good suggestions for iPad/iPhone?  I used to have a good one on my Android phone, and I miss it....

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    It is a Mac OS X and a Windows Application.

http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/personal/
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

There is an Apple iPhone/iPad App called Airport Utility

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8 

That does much of the same network scan functions albeit it lacks the cool channel graphics.

• Gerry Jurrens
    Gerry Jurrens Member
    edited March 2018
    My SSIDs have different names, but there are so many SSIDs in my neighborhood, the list scrolls beyond where my 5g one is. I am unable to select it. Weird.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.