Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil PR-781 wrong adapter

Rob Blackie
Rob Blackie Member

i  stupidly ordered the wrong  lead for my Heil PR-781  to work with my 6300 :(

i ordered the kenwood one Heil CC-1-K8  i  should have got the Heil CC-1-Y8 ..

so, yes i could exchange it but that would take  2 or 3 days, could i just rewire it for yaesu ( flex) ??

i think there's a couple of resistors in the cuircut, but not sure?

cheers rob

Answers

• Thomas Sorensen
    edited July 2016
    You need the Yaesu adapter. The yellow band.

Tom AF5WO
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

yes mate i know, but i don't see why i couldn't just rewire it ?

cheers rob

• Thomas Sorensen
    edited July 2016
    Sorry mate I did not read it close enough....
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

more complex than i thought.. return it is :(

cheers rob

• ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You actually want the CC-1-XLR-Y-BAL cable. You will find the Yellow cable is now replaced with a correctly wired cable that provides a balanced input to the front connector on the Flex 6000 series radios. The original cable (Yellow) incorrectly grounded one side of the microphone and not the shield. That cable will work but it does not protect from RF like the new cable. Heil sound will not admit this error but has discontinued the Yellow cable.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Right, you want the BAL cable. It has an orange sleeve on the XLR plug. Note that this is the one FRS sells for the 781.
  • Ken Davis
    Ken Davis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So why can't one go in and remove the incorrect ground? It seems simple enough.  

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    NO it is NOT the yellow one it is the ORANGE one
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If you want to rewire to the CC-1-XLR-Y-BAL cable, contact Heil for the wiring diagram / pinouts.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

thanks but, i have ordered another cable.. 3rd time luck i hope !

ps, your stock mic is pretty much unusable ..

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I don't care for hand mics so had never tried the original until I got my Maestro.  I was pleasantly surprised to get continuing complements on the excellent quality of my audio using the stock mic.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    i have  a vastly different experience., as have many others, theres a lot of complaints about it, its waaaay so sensitive to wind, unlike my other yaesu mics.. very odd..
  • Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This is old info. He started wiring them different when the Ten Tec Orion 1st came out. I think it was early 2000's . They had RFI issues. How I ended up with (4) of his cables with the yellow sleeve I don't know but 3 of the 4 came wired as they are with the orange sleeve. 1 is a very early one that we rewired many years ago. The shield is simply grounded to one of the two foster plug screws.
  • K3ZJ - Dave
    K3ZJ - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have a 781 with a Heil yellow-band connector to the front panel Foster on the 6700.  Is there a continuity check between pins on either the Foster or the XLR end that I can do to determine whether the adapter is wired correctly? 
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    From the Flex-6000 hardware manual, 8 Pin front panel has Mic+ (8)  Mic- (7) Gnd (5).  XLR is industry standard: Gnd (1)  Mic+ (2)  Mic- (3) 

I checked a yellow banded phono + 1/8" plug type adapter; the mic is wired in balanced configuration.

Hopefully, this is helpful.

_..--
    TiM
  • Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a PR781 Mic to use with a Flex 6500. I want to connect the mic to the balance XLR connector at the back of the radio.

Does anybody has a suggestion on the cable to use ?

Donal, VE2HJ

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Any good XLR cable will do. It is a standard, quality audio XLR input.
  • Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hi Ken,

Tank you for the info, now i will not by the Heil 8 pin adapter that my supplier suggested me.

Donald, VE2HJ 

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    8 pin connector is only needed for front panel connection.
  • Don, VE2HJ
    Don, VE2HJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

To close on a high note , the final order for the mic has been made and in a few days  i'll be tuning my audio as i have seen in your video.

Donald, VE2HJ 

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi all
    This thread is quite unclear... I read somewhere that it is preferable to use the REAR mike connection on the Flex (in my case, the 6500) to avoid RFI.
    So can someone clearly reply on which cable should be used for REAR connexion, the  XLRY or the XLRYBal (do not reply with colors, but with reference please)
    Thanks
    Paul F6EXV

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    This post is related to the 6300 which does not have a true balanced input like the 6500 and 6700 (and the upcoming 6600).

What mic do you have?
  • Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Talking about the PR-781 into the 6500
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    You need a standard 3-pin XLR mic cable available at any music store.
  • Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I do not have a music store nearby. Which Heil reference do I need, the Y or the YBAL ?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    You do not use a Heil cable.  Those are for connecting the mic to the front 8-pin Foster connector.  This is a standard XLR male to XLR female microphone cable.

Just google "XLR mic cable" and it should show you hundreds of places in France where you can purchase one.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.